Introducing ourselves.

So, guess it's my turn.

I'm GuiX / Guillaume / Bob le nain / Robert / :Smokedev: / and many else...

I'm 30, french, I speak french, english, italian and as much german as Ollo, I learned japanese but it was hard so...

I'm Ollo & Camso & Joji & Tardou eldest brother (Well, OL is a family affair for us)

I work as a computer graphics designer.

I'm interested in music, 3d computer graphics, traveling, Urigreen :)

I discovered OL with a tape, my cousin and I used to make tapes with the songs we liked and exchanging it. One day a song sounded very different from the others due to its oriental vibes, the band was ORPHANED LAND! I immediately bought the "holy bible" CD to get a new song from the band (at that time Orphaned Land was on the label "Holy Records")

My favorite album would be Mabool because my future wife offered it to me (we'll get married this year!)

My favorite song is Rainbow

I play guitar, a little piano and electronic stuffs.

See Ollo's describing himself for my favourite bands

hi all!
I'm Dora and I'm an .. orphandlandoholic? I was a lot more active on the forums here 6 years ago after joining for Katatonia and Anathema, Antimatter which were also here back then.. still I don't remember if I've ever introduced myself, so here we go.
I'm from Hungary, live in Switzerland.. Interested in music, movies (asian), computers (mac), internet, photography, reading, writing etc. I play some guitar, piano, try to write a song every two years..(and fail). I listen to so many genres I couldn't list, from stupid pop songs to extreme noise, anything that have an effect on me. I think I like progressive and dark music the most.. and oriental melodies..
I've seen OL playing with Paradise Lost some years ago, they were handing out a free promo single, and really liked it. My favourite album is Mabool but my fav track is the PL cover, Mercy from Ararat EP.. I'd really love to hear more covers like that. And I'm very excited about the new album coming, hence I'm here. :)
and I collect guitar picks and would really love to see one with the OL logo, does it exist? (it should, please)

I'm Javier. I'm currently 23 years old and live in California in the US. My family is from Spain, but me and my parents live in the US. I've been a fan of Orphaned Land for about 4 or 5 years now. I found them going through the lists people make on amazon.com and they were the first death metal band that I was able to get past the death vocals. I have a weakness for "middle-eastern" music, so that's probably why. Mabool is my favorite album of OL, mainly because I'm still not into the doomier stuff. I recently got a guitar a few weeks ago...only know a few chords lol. I also like Katatonia, Opeth, Disturbed, Tool, Riverside, Porcupine Tree, Skizoo, Anathema, and a few others. And if you want to know more about me, you can here... http://www.myspace.com/bound2fate

Dear orphans, let me introduce myself. My name is Jan/ Honza/ Jano/ Johannes/ Jenda/ Jens/ Hans/ John. My friends call me Baltim. I´m 27 and live in small town in Czech Republic. I have a girlfriend, her name is Marie Magdalena (It´s not joke). We plan wedding to spring 2010. I speak Czech, Slovak and English (or I try it).

I work as a sports journalist and my job is my hobby. I like all the sports. Mostly hockey and football. I am true fan and also chairman of fanclub in local hockey team HC Berounští Medvědi (1st national league). If you want to see some pics with me in hockey dress and drums, I can post you link. :D Btw I am Czech republic champion in changing drum membrane on time :lol:. I play quitar. I´d like to play piano, but I have no patience to learning it.

I think I am open minded person, but it will be better to make your own opinion about me. I´d like to describe my political convictions, but it would be so boring.

I like humour, mostly like a Monty Pythons. I adore comics strips (e.g. Garfield, Red meat). I like watching movies too. My favorite directors are Tarantino, Jarmusch, Kurosawa, von Trier, Forman, Rodriguez, Hitchcock, Coppola, Leone and Peter Jackson (because of Braindead).

I adore music through all genres. I adore jazz, classical music, czech underground, hardcore, post-rock, post HC, noise, indie rock, chansons, folk singers, rock and metal of course. Mostly death, old school trash and folk. I like grindcore and goregrind too.
Singers, bands and composers: Bobby McFerrin, Luis Armstrong, Edith Piaf, Janis Joplin, Karel Kryl, Leopard Cohen, Jarek Nohavica, Naceva, Radůza, Vašek Koubek, Nick Cave, Jiří Schelinger, Yann Tiersen, Smetana, Tchaikovsky, Dvořák, Liszt, Saint-Saens, Chopin, Martinů, Vivaldi, Wagner, Rosini, Rimski-Korsakov, Shostakovich, Orff, Plastic people of the universe, C, Deverova chyba, D2ti de3t2, Gnu, Peshata, Znouzectnost, Deep purple, Black sabbath, The doors, Stinking lizaveta, Fall Of Efrafa, Victims, Rise and fall, Opeth, Nirvana, Apocalyptica, Beltaine, Cataract, Converge, Death, Orphaned Land, Municipal Waste, Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Eluveitie, Silent stream of godless elegy, Metallica, Amon Amarth, Onslaught, Entombed, Exodus, Destruction, The Crown, Slayer, Macabre, Carcass, Haemmorhage, General Surgery, Cripple Bastards, Dead Infection and so on.

And how I met with Orphaned Land? It quite interesting. Long times ago, I think it was in 1998 (?), I told one of my friends about band called Melechesh. My friend gave me CD El Norra Alila, and told me:“You´ll be charmed“. Well, I listened it for five times, full of expectations. And then I thought: „It´s no big deal“. And Orphaned Land gone from my life meanwhile. I listened it as it happens after six months. No big deal again. But during next week I caught oneself purring El Meod Na´ala. So I listened El norra Alila one more time and that was the moment, when I became tangled into Orphaned land family.

Favourite songs: El Meod Na´ala, Flawless Belief, My Requiem, The Beloveds Cry, Neverending Way, Thee By The Father I Pray, Norra El Norra, Storm Still Rages Inside.

Favourite albums: Sahara, El Norra Alila, Mabool.

I hope this introducing isn´t so boring… And sorry about my english, I know it´s terrible.

Salam Alikom/Shalom Alechem/Pokoj Vám

Thanks for sharing Jan/ Honza/ Jano/ Johannes/ Jenda/ Jens/ Hans/ John aka Baltim, and welcome here.

Dobre doyshly! (hmhm, not sure whether that's Slovak or Czech or Slovenian) :)

I'm impressed with your fav performers list - which ones you would recommend to check out? (maybe through private messaging not to start an offtopic here)
BTW, I think you should also try Estatic Fear and Haggard - they are eternal classics ;)

Hey, Ahoy, Brutal Disciples!

A kind Senior Member (how fun to be a frosh again) helped me find this thread. So if you see a similar blurb elsewhere, it's b/c my deletion efforts failed :cry: Forgive Me Disciples, For I Have Sinned!!!

I don't think I am up to divulging all of my sordid secrets right here, right now, although that first posting w/its checklist is very inspiring. Later, eh?

So:

I was born in the USA (and have lived in many States), but I've also lived across the Pond, in fine countries such as Holland and Israel. In fact, I lived in OL's original hometown for 13 yrs. Yet I hadn't a clue what was happening in that "Gush Dan" (Tel-Aviv area) town, aside from the usual, which seemed like plenty enough. I mean, Israel isn't a boring place; it never was, or so the history books and various religious tomes tell us. I'm going to check when I have a chance how close I lived to the OL crew. That would be fun, once I renew my various passports and obtain my security clearance, of course.

:kickass: Back in the US my GF here in BudweiserLand suggested that I check Mabool out. "What; is that the name of a band?" I asked. "That means 'flood' in Hebrew," I brilliantly added. I felt so informed...for two seconds.

I got a STFU look, which got me super-curious & I ordered this natural-high in a double-CD pack, and life's been making a lot more sense lately. IDK why. Yeah I do. Later in Re that.

Now this music's getting more airtime in my dingy dungeon and even in the car than my Behemoth CDs. I mean, I love those Polish Sumerian etc. metalists, but Kobi et al. uses more Hebrew than Nergal (who's a credentialed historian, jeez). Oh, apples and oranges. However, talk about Kobi's concept of God's tango with Satan. My interest in occult death/blackened-death metal makes perfect sense to my addled mind, now that I'm head-over-heels about Orphaned Land's music, too.

And then I read that OL's got a new release on the horizon, and headed on over to the website to check out the Peace-heralding brand-new trans-Jordanian language-defying logo.... What a rush! This experience rendered me speechless. Unfortunately for you, my friends, I recovered from that mutism.

Alright, a little more about my interesting self. I'm a doc. I'll keep my specialty confidential for now, for fear of receiving the usual questions. Peeps, and forgive me if you already know this: I happily turn my Doctor switch to a decisive "OFF" when I'm done for the day/double-shift/triple-shift. I'm a rocker here. And a human being with very strong cross-cultural interests, tinged with a sentiment of "can't we all just get along?"

I've played electric bass since I was a wee lad early on in middle school. I'm an auto-didact, muso-babble for self-taught. Those of you who took a route similar to mine know what self-teaching entails: WOODSHEDDING! Sitting/standing for hours and hours every day slowly figuring things out from the ground up. And one bright (or, better, stormy) day, you put some music on and find that you can play along to it...a little...then a bit more.... It's like learning to walk, except that you're not (I wasn't at least) as cute by then. I eventually began playing professionally with bands along the Eastern Seaboard of the US of A. I also worked and crammed in a college degree + 2 master's during that time. This lasted for about a decade. I then took a very long break & trained (& trained & trained s'more) in doctoring, thus adding to the ridiculous, numerous letters after my name. I'll sleep when I'm dead, but since I'm so fond of death metal, I doubt I'll sleep for long.

I have returned to playing daily, and, though the pickings are slim, particularly with a job like mine, I have a blast. My playing interests differ significantly from my listening proclivities, because I gravitate toward playing music that accentuates the bass. So, during those years of daily gigging, I got into hard funk-rock. Once I saw/heard what flea could do to a fretted bass, I was hooked and proceeded to...woodshed and then slap that thang until my fingers bled very frequently. The pain was sweet, b/c those low-frequencies are my best friends, so I didn't mind the injuries. I'm insane, BTW. But I also played with singer-songwriter-type bands, using more melodic runs. As long as I was able to thump here and there, I was pleased. I've always played finger-style, b/c I like the control that gives me over the instrument's output. However, I'm thinking about practicing to play with a pick too, b/c I'm interested in getting into some nasty-fast metal. I'll see.

Listening? No point listing it all, b/c I listen to everything, except for the usual suspect "music" slop. Metal of all genres (from Sabbath's first album through NWOBM through goth to death :zombie:), Hard Rock (e.g., early Led Zeppelin, Cream, Disturbed), Jangle Rock (early REM, 10,000 Maniacs), Funk-Rock (RHCP, Parliament/Funkadelic, Larry Graham, RATM), Classical (favs = Beethoven, Liszt, Bloch, Hayden, Mozart, but I'm a sucker for most). And I could go on forever. I won't.

Enough :err: exciting self-disclosure for now.

Later, Orphans. ILY, so look out. I ain't goin' nowhere. Remember Boston's "More than a Feeling?" Orphaned Land's More than a Band. I'd say it's spearheading a movement among the young of all ages. Question the status-quo of hate! Then, do something about it. What a Beautiful New Gospel.

p.s.: Anyone know how to get rid of that 2nd "FiveString" I've got above my avatar? Even with the various Messiahs clearly poised to arrive/return, 'puters still mess with my mind. Thx.

Welcome here Doc :D I'm kinda new here as well, although I don't feel so.

Orphaned Land's More than a Band. I'd say it's spearheading a movement among the young of all ages. Question the status-quo of hate! Then, do something about it. What a Beautiful New Gospel.

Amen to that. Thats why they are my favourite band

EDIT: Go to User CP and then edit profile. You must find it there.

@FiveString: Welcome to the community! To get rid of the second FiveString - custom forum title - go to "Private messages" (top right of the page), and there click "Edit Profile" and change your custom forum title to anything you like.

PS: Check out the Bass Extremes band: Wooten+Bailey+Sheehan. They are an all-bass + drums band. Also, Tony Levin (from Boston) and Stew Hamm are highly advanced bass soloists, and besides I recommend Dream Theater's John Myung and Levin + Dream Theater's Liquid Tension Experiment project, and Sheehan+Novello+Chambers = Niacin. These bands/performers are really the new great wave of fusion, always with fat rich bass.

@FiveString: Welcome to the community! To get rid of the second FiveString - custom forum title - go to "Private messages" (top right of the page), and there click "Edit Profile" and change your custom forum title to anything you like.

PS: Check out the Bass Extremes band: Wooten+Bailey+Sheehan. They are an all-bass + drums band. Also, Tony Levin (from Boston) and Stew Hamm are highly advanced bass soloists, and besides I recommend Dream Theater's John Myung and Levin + Dream Theater's Liquid Tension Experiment project, and Sheehan+Novello+Chambers = Niacin. These bands/performers are really the new great wave of fusion, always with fat rich bass.

Hello, Postmodernist! Thank you for the welcome. And I appreciate your technical savvy and will put it to work; it's very kind of you to help me out; me so helpless w/computers s/ts :confused:. How much do you charge for a consult? Free?! You've very kind.

Oh yeah, oh yeah: I grew up searchin for talented, pioneering bass-led bands, or just "plain old" soloists. That's what guitarists do; to me it was axiomatic that that's what bassists should do. Jaco! That dear, sadly missing Florida virtuoso's what got me into fretless, but I'm really new w/that :yell: The fretless is AWESOME with Middle Eastern music, that much I know already. And, when I reconsider what I wrote in an earlier post, it was really after listening to Stanley Clarke's School Days that I went ape about slap-bass. Wooten credits him as being his foremost teacher. I've seen 'em jam with Marcus Miller, another slap-god.

Bass Extremes is beyond belief. Literally. You take those three "HTF do they do that?" massive talents and mix 'em up and (unless you ignore the bass, in which case...well, go away), it's sublime. Wooten can slap and pop at a rate that should be made illegal but I'm glad it's not, and his riffs are way the heck out there; he's always coming up with wilda** ideas. That's what musical geniuses do. Sheehan? I remember how he politely (ever seen him smirk @ Gilbert on vid? PRICELESS) put that very fine guitarist Paul Gilbert in his place, all in good fun, I mean they're homies after all, when he started "shredding" with the same outrageous precision and speed as him. Few in the hard-rock world, outside of the Mr. Big hordes (based mainly in Japan, where the electric bass is revered as it should be) truly appreciated what Mr. Sheehan brought to the table. But you do. Kudos on that. And V. Bailey, OMG!!! He's the daddy of the six-string fretless beast, and he tamed it really well, and the rest is musical history. You're so on. Stu Hamm!! I've never met such a down-to-earth "aw shucks, I'm just another bass-player" jack-of-all bass-trades. He's so gifted it's scary, but he's so humble it's inspiring.

Tony Levin's been blowing people's minds for decades: Few know that the monster-funk playing on Peter Gabriel's "sledgehammer" is Levin on that "IDK how you can play that thing" Chapman Stick. He's been doing it his way. Even those who don't notice his specific contributions to the mix are usually aware that something very unusual is going on in a song that could've been as white-bread as, oh fill-in-the-blanks _ _ _ _ _ _ _. Myung's way way out there, brilliantly so. He actually gives me nightmares :devil:. Dream Theatre is a band I have yet to really dig into, but they're on my list of "bands to buy lots of CDs from." Claypool, y'all! I'll never forget hearing his debut. He can do everything that he does in the studio just as well on stage: I witnessed that in Madison, WI. Les Sails the Seas of Cheese with, heheh, ease.

You're darn right about Niacin's fusion. They're also on my list: I heard a few tracks and that's stuff to listen to long and hard; it ain't fluffy. I want to get Sheehan's fairly recent recording, "Holy Cow."

The Weekend's Not Over Yet--Not Hardly!

So I hope you have a good time.

Regards,

FS

Five String- hey it's good to see you here as well. Man you can talk/ write :) Funny story about Mabool and feeling informed for two seconds- LOL

So a big cheers- lechaim to you :kickass: Come back often!

Ah, my friend the Morticia(n) of Peace :Shedevil: So great to read from you; thank you for the welcome "to here as well." What, haven't you heard? I am everywhere :Smokin:

Can you picture me as Mr. Know It All for precisely two seconds? Clearly you can and LOL it was, indeed. 'twas a lesson in humility, that one. You never know who knows more about what you think you OWN! The tale Morticia's referring to is a brief and deeply poignant one, ahahah, in which my GF recommended that I check Mabool out. So I wanted to let that American-born blonde know that her well-traveled man had a clue; it's my inner-caveman that made me do that :) Men, if you're with me on this, there's no need to admit it, but we've got to be a little more aware lest we trip on our respective tongues as we try to impress various womenfolk. Just a deep thought from a mediocre philosopher :D

Let it rain! Let it rain Peace and Love, but not the narcissistic variety of the 60s. Orphaned Land's something we can't categorize, b/c it keeps changing, for one. And that's a good thing, b/c we're all lost and clueless, boohoo.

Ah, c'mon, smile :dopey:: You're on Candid Camera!

FS

Welcome here Doc :D I'm kinda new here as well, although I don't feel so...Amen to that. Thats why they are my favourite band EDIT: Go to User CP and then edit profile. You must find it there.

Thanks for the welcome, my Orphaned Brother. Yeah, long story, but I'm orphaned, too, maybe over a brew or two....:loco: Alright, so we're on the same page. Hands down, these peeps are my favorite band...wow, I speak a great English...b/c, aside from the music that rocks my world (and others'), they also do a heck of a lot more than most bands that, c'mon, let's face it, are usually in it for artistic reasons (the good bands), and the usual suspects. But a Movement? A Good Movement (the boneheads would be an e.g. of a very bad "Movement," dig?)?! What've I been smokin' the past few years? Nothin,' really. I was just clueless.

Spread the word, Disciples. Nobody can stop a powerful movement. Individuals can be struck down, but not a movement, not like this, one that so many flip @ the very mention thereof.... Peace Reign Supreme, even if it takes lots of elbow grease. I'm a veteran, and I've been itching to put my nightmarishly-acquired experience to use to further a no-doubts-about-it peaceful cause, so if anyone wants to mess w/you for your "outrageous" hopes, let me know. I associate with a bunch of like-minded veterans who will, ummm, deal appropriately with anyone who seriously wants to harm any of y'all. No violence, I assure you: We have our ways, but no violence. If anyone threatens you, please let me know. Blessed be the Peacemakers.... I want to help keep aforesaid Peacemakers free of threats.

Be Safe.

With that said,

Peace, Pax, Shalom, Salaam, and so on

FS

Dear orphans, let me introduce myself. My friends call me Baltim. I´m 27 and live in small town in Czech Republic. I have a girlfriend, her name is Marie Magdalena (It´s not joke). We plan wedding to spring 2010. I speak Czech, Slovak and English (or I try it).

I like humour, mostly like a Monty Pythons.

Welcome, from a really new guy (me)!

I don't know if I've earned my stripes to welcome you, but I'm sure the kind old-timers on this forum don't mind.

Dude, based on your blurb, you must totally love the Holy Grail. It's my #@@!!! favorite movie. I know it by heart, thanks to having seen it about 1,000 times, +/-. Now I have the DELUXE edition, and it's got all these outtakes, plus it's remastered, blah blah blah. If you're as insane as I am, you MUST already have a copy and know it by heart. But no need to self-incriminate yourself by replying to that.

My sister lived in Prague for a while. From what I heard from her, I'd love it there, aside from my total lack of Czech-speak, darn. And my double- bass is made in the Czech Republic. So I have a little piece of your forests in my home.

I think it was in a Czech Republic concert that Kobi yelled, "Ahoy, Brutal Assault." I love that battle-cry of Peace. Anyhow, I know a bit about what you and your fellow citizens have endured over the years, and I admire you and your people for your courage and integrity.

Good luck with your wedding prep. I wish you both everlasting love.

Be Well.

FS

battle-cry of Peace.

That made me lol ! :D Thats a lot of posting you've done in no time! I'm sure I'll enjoy your posts here. Technically underaged, but I'm game for a brew :D

I regret missing Mr. Big last month. I was seriously stumped when I saw the G3 with Yngwie. Well, the jam wasn't great but Billy Sheehan and Tony MacAlpine and Dave Weiner were all amazing with Steve Vai. To be honest thats when I first saw Sheehan's prowess, blown away is an understatement.

Brother, Ananth,

So take a rain/beer-check on the brew, my man. What, they have a drinking-age in India. Well, none of my biz. I apologize if it's a religious matter. I already explained to a Sister how, out here, it's not just the alcoholics who are extremely fond of beer. Thank God, because I love my beer when hangin' with friends or friends-to-be, but the local culture here actually frowns on people who overdo it. Heck, I don't. I've got connections, but I want to keep my own liver (and kidneys, etc.) if at all possible.

So, dude, how'd you come upon this music? Forreal, this is new for me, and I just can't get enough. Granted, I'm a music-nut, which is why I'm wide awake getting into Middle Eastern fretless bass.... Man, my fingers are raw, but the sound is intoxicating. I've been looking for new avenues of inspiration both as a musician (i.e., things that would help me expand my playing skills) and as a voracious consumer of CDs. Nobody's gonna take my CDs from me: Those downloads are nice when on the go. But the CD's something to hold, with material to read, plus the sound-quality's superior to that darn compressed mp3 stuff. 'xcuse the rant.

I've been talking to a few people for a while about Orphaned Land. And there's no question that my familiarity with the region endears these guys upon me: It takes serious, um, fortitude to speak your mind in a region broiling with war from the inside and, yeah, imported wars courtesy of fine countries like mine :cry:

But just the, "hey, these are my homies" wouldn't be enough for me to get so excited about OL. I've lived all over. Lots of bands are, unbeknown to them, my homies and I dig that. But I've never been a fan of any band, you know what I mean? As a little kid, sure, I thought that some of these guys could talk to God or whatever, but as an adult?! Heck, no. I appreciate the music while realizing that it's conceived and executed by, often, very messed up, horny peeps with talent, yeah, or I wouldn't listen. But they're not doing anything more than chasing the perks of fame, which is so ephemeral.

OL, like I repeat as if I have Tourette's, has shown that it's bringing infinitely more to the table. I mean, the kids in Muslim countries that bust a** and evade the thought police to attend concerts in Turkey, etc. aren't going to such lengths b/c this is another kicka** band. They're rebelling against the hate, and they're inspired by the love. The music is indigenous, while still folk/prog/death metal to the very core. The oud, the tabla, all those awesome sounds are Middle Eastern and Orphaned Land makes Middle Eastern people looking for a better future proud (even #@@!!s that don't like metal).

I don't know how many people are digging this band--what's the "fan-count?" IDK and I couldn't care less...for now. They're a candle in the dark, like I wrote a friend. That's all it takes to shed light...in the dark. The word's spreading, b/c music with a megaton-powerful msg is a more powerful agent-for-change than any weapon and, unfortunately, I know weapons. And, needless to say (well, it NEEDS to be said, really), music heals, while weapons kill. I'm not a religious nutjob fanatic; I'm not a fan-boy. But I see what's going on, and the deal is that we've got a developing movement, light vs. darkness. So which force is going to win? I'm rooting for the light, and lots of people are, often silently, rooting for the same. Hate is overrated, dude. Love? There's never enough of that to go around. And, ultimately, whether we like it or not, religious and ethnic affiliations are at the roots of most regional conflicts. Is religion inherently evil? No, not IMHO. Is ethnicity inherently evil? Heck, no; it's about your culture; there's no escaping that, not the core of it.

So people can use those powerful tools of religious and ethnic identity (oh, yeah, and national) either to hate and thus fight, or to even very tentatively like and work together...engage in dialog...listen...love.

Amazing. It's not something we need a moral Einstein in order to understand. But look at our miserable world. Time to rock its sorry a** with a Movement for Peace that's palatable to as many people as possible, that alienates only those who are pretty much never going to get their heads outta their...yeah.

Can you tell I like writing? :OMG:

Well, then, my son, you are a bona-fide genius. So stay in touch.

Greetings from Mizzou,

FS

O la laaa- I guess you had to be silent for many years five string. Or you just found your place amongst like minded people? I opt for the latter. Until I met Orphaned Land I never knew what it was I was searching for. With them, and everyone around them, I found this brotherhood of people that are into light, positivity and showing there is another way. Then I understood which path it was I wanted- needed- to take (see my signature) I always knew that metal was about much more than just music, but only with Orphaned Land I understood what that "much more" was.

So take a rain/beer-check on the brew, my man. What, they have a drinking-age in India. Well, none of my biz. I apologize if it's a religious matter.

The age is supposed to be 18-21. Well, as with anything, that doesn't count for much here :D I'm 17 but heck I've had my share of alcohol :devil:

I'm amazed by the intellectual capacity of the people here, you included. Reading these posts are actually thought provoking.