The GMD Movie Club Thread

I finally started this. Just finished up Uzumaki. Some good visuals in it but I had no fucking idea what the hell was going and what any of it meant.

I'll see if I can beat you to it. I watched all these movies, I just thought I'd do proper writeups this time and I never got around to it.

Yeah fuck write-ups.
F For Fake
pretty cool that orson welles adapted one of my favourite black metal dramas 30 years before it happened.

welles the person has always been a source of fascination to me and i've gobbled up many of his interviews over the years (the cavett interviews are fantastic as cavett interviews always are), and this does feel like a typical late film in that it seems to summarise who he was, the layers and the showmanship and the obsessions he carried with him. given his love of shakespeare, i think the best entry point for the film is to view it as his hamlet, which is to say it understands art as mankind's eternal response to and deflection from mortality and so it deconstructs that response, revealing it for the sham it is while also trying to find something vital or life-affirming in the process itself. the central theme guiding much of his career is the way time erodes everything, and the question of how one can immortalise oneself if it's even possible, and by the time the cathedral sequence is done it actually surprisingly seems like one of his more naked attempts to explore that question. i don't know that he arrives at any kind of concrete answers, but i kind of like that it has the really serious scene about an hour in and then welles just enjoys spinning his own fakery for the final act (re hamlet: "the play's the thing").

ultimately it's more interesting for how it illuminates welles and my favourite welles movies than it is enjoyable to watch in itself, for me anyway. the story itself (or the version of it we get) is pretty crazy and it barrels along at a brisk pace with a lot of fun details so it's never boring, but i don't find all the winking commentary very amusing and it's also probably a victim of its own age and influence--these kinds of pomo metamusings are pretty passé these days. beyond what i've said above, i think it's basically his attempt to mischievously play the audience in a similar way to hitchcock (i don't like it when hitch is more overt about that either), except instead of looking down on them like cattle it actually lets them in on the joke, which is probably an upgrade.

all in all, probably a 3.5/5 for me on this watch (i had seen it once but probably 15+ years ago so barely remembered anything), possibly slightly generous in all honesty but i'm always inclined to be generous toward welles. for those who only know him through this and/or citizen kane, i'd urge you to watch my personal favourite of his touch of evil, an all-time top 5 noir in my book.

In ascending order of quality;

4. F for Fake

Unbearable filmmaking where the presentation gets in the way of the story at every turn. The subject matter is interesting, as are some of the characters featured (especially liked the scenes with Elmyr de Hory; sad to learn that he was prosecuted to the point of suicide for the victimless crime of creating art forgeries) but as someone with no preexisting familiarity with the scandals I couldn't really follow this without some wikipedia assistance.

3. Uzumaki

Obviously too limited in budget/technology/competence/whatever to recreate the alien hellscapes of the source novel, so it's never really immersive. But it does manage to build some kind of feverish atmosphere with creative camerawork and helpfully hammy acting. Liked it.

2. Drive My Car

I saw this in theatres when it came out and I thought it was boring as shit all the way up until a gorgeous ending that moved me to tears. I resolved to dig deeper and understand it a little better, so I watched an adaptation of the Uncle Vanya play and thought I'd revisit it but I guess the boredom won out in the end because I couldn't really bring myself to watch it again. When you're making your movie three hours long, you're competing for the same timeslot as John Wick 4, and this ain't no John Wick 4.

1. Henry Fool

Deeply idiosyncratic filmmaking, tonally all over the place and with an endearingly terrible soundtrack (obviously) written by the director himself. For a movie about some pretty bleak subject matter, I found it a weirdly cozy watch. Not totally sure what to make it but I definitely liked it, might be the kind of thing that's just better off for all the ways in which the pieces don't quite fit together.

Uzumaki
i'm not familiar with the source material, but i can tell it's great and that this is a pretty meh adaptation. i love the concept; the spiral might be the most interesting and visually exciting expression of that mass psychosis trope japan was so obsessed with in this era, and i dig the bad dream vibes as it slowly takes over. i loved the sono-esque opening when she's running/cycling through the town with all the low shots framing her against the sky, and the guy emerging from the memories of murder-esque tunnel etc, great scene-setting. i loved that montage at the end with some incredibly fucked and gorgeous images (taken directly from the manga i assume--edit: CiG's post confirms this) + some rare great music. tonally and atmospherically it's... mostly just fine. japan is always at least solid with that stuff, and their usual strat of contrasting childlike innocence and goofy humour with super fucked up shit is always more effective than the tamer hollywood equivalent would be.

it should be more than fine, though. i bet the manga is. truth is there's just too much fuckin' turn of the century j-horror here. it's cheap but not in a cool old-school analog way, more like an ugly ps1 cutscene (the sky spirals are so bad lol) meets nu-metal music video kinda way. the music is very early 2000s electronic/ambient in a bad way too aside from the aforementioned montage. it so desperately needs more kiyoshi kurosawa-style negative space, trusting us to feel the horror in the banal instead of hammering us over the head with it. to give an example, if the camera just took a step back and showed the father carving a spiral into his soup in a realistic way it'd be so much more chilling and weird than it is with the heavy-handed zooms and fast-motion and aggressively harsh sound design. needless to say i also didn't give a fuck about the 'romance' which reaches a nadir with some teenybopper pseudo-ff7 nonsense by the lake--the whole thing is weirdly asexual for a movie that's blue velvet levels of vaginal imagery for the entire runtime. i guess i just didn't get a good sense of what it was communicating in general, themes seem confined to a few stray nuggets of dialogue (i.e. the girl who "wants to be noticed/seen in the truest possible way", the "i'll be your mother for you" relationship between the leads and, yeah, the references to art) but aren't really integrated into the whole. the stuff ein talks about in his post is all really interesting to me but the movie feels like a primer for such topics at best.

maybe it deserves a 3 for overall enjoyment, but i feel like the manga did most of the heavy lifting here and i'm disappointed 'cause i can feel so much more potential bubbling underneath, so i'm going with 2.5/5. i should check out ito sometime.

ffs abeltim, stop holding everyone up
7bdd1f07-05ba-481f-8c04-2774bfdfa49b_text.gif