The GMD Movie Club Thread

Nov 23, 2002
GMD movie club final.jpg

Each round will have a theme, selected by the host. Participants will select a film suited to that theme and PM it to the host. Once a decent number of films have been submitted, the host will make the list public, and participants will watch each film and rate+review it (as in the music mixtape games). Whoever submits the film that gets the highest average rating wins and becomes the host for the next round.

For each round, please try to choose a film that is:
- Genuinely on topic. No bullshit like selecting Full Metal Jacket for a fashion round or Ocean's Eleven for a water round, please.
- Likely to be unseen by at least half the participants; the main purpose of the game is to introduce users to movies they haven't seen. I know one of you cunts is gonna submit Apocalypse Now or something anyway, but hey at least I tried.
- Likely to actually appeal to some of the participants. You do want to win, right?
- Available on mainstream streaming services such as Netflix or Amazon Prime, or available online for free. This isn't essential, but it's encouraged. If anyone is encountering availability issues due to not having a streaming service, regional restrictions, etc, just let me know and I'll do my best to help. As I have access to most stuff via torrent trackers, I'll be happy to download films when necessary and provide people with a link to the file.
- A reasonable length. Nobody here wants to watch your shitty eight hour Lav Diaz movie. No, not even me.

I realise movies are a much bigger time commitment than songs, but please do try to watch all the films if possible, otherwise your ratings may not be counted. At least start watching them, if you hate every second and bail halfway through then at least you gave it a try, and you can come to the thread to shit on whoever submitted it.

Unlike the music mixtape game, I suggest posting about films as you watch them rather than waiting and doing one giant post at the end, as it'll generate more discussion and hopefully keep the thread alive. Although it'll also be helpful if you list all your ratings once you're done so it's easier for the host to keep track.

The host is allowed to both submit and rate, unless we democratically decide otherwise. Any of the other rules are also open to debate. I'll host the first game, I'm gonna give you guys a couple days to suggest themes by PM if you really want to otherwise I'll select one myself. Deadlines will be flexible as I expect these to take longer than the music rounds (especially if a lot of people want to join in), but don't take the piss @no country for old wainds.

after-saw.gif

Just read the rules. Holy shit this is going to be a massive undertaking! I thought by a movie club you just meant we all take turns deciding on a single film to watch and then we take a couple months, watch it, and post our thoughts about it and discuss it.

Not that I'm not down for this idea instead, I just hope it doesn't dry up and die immediately lmfao.

Yeah I thought along similar lines, I can't see myself having enough time to do it in this format. People will also need so long to rate everything the thread will become a graveyard.

I think it'd be more realistic to do one movie per month, or if we want the competition element, it could be one-on-one, ie two people are chosen to go head to head each month on a given theme, everyone else rates and the winner stays on to the next round, loser goes to the back of the queue.

I like challenge's idea, but I think we could probably do a little more than 2 people going head-to-head? Like at least 3 or 4, would be nice to see a few different takes on the chosen theme at least.

Could also require participants to not watch every movie so if there's one they're 99% sure they'll hate they can skip it (or if they're struggling to find a way to watch it in their country or whatever). And hopefully if several people end up skipping the same movie one of the more diligent movie-watchers will pick up the slack to keep things fair.

Last edited:
yeah i’m fine to reduce it down lol, i was surprised people were so positive about the idea in the first place for this reason (although i was clear about what i meant you cunts :bah:). i wasn’t really envisioning more than a handful of people playing when i suggested it, 15 movies would obviously be too much (well, not for me but i have no life) but like 5 wouldn’t be so bad imo.

anyway please discuss further, i will cede to democratic pressures.

One idea is to do this in more of a book club format; a theme is picked, everyone who wants to submits a movie for that theme and we collectively vote on which ones we want to see and pick the top 4 or whatever. Then we watch and discuss and rate those chosen however many and whoever submitted the winner picks the next theme. That way we could filter out the movies a bunch of people have already seen or that no one wants to see.

this might be a better idea:
all of the participants get paired up at random by the host and then they just have to swap a single movie rec with each other. so then everyone only has to watch one movie but has the option of watching movies outside their match-ups if they want to.

edit: posted this before reading pompey’s which is also good. any thoughts? i feel like both would potentially work but pompey’s is more in the ‘movie club’ spirit as he said, and i dunno how the rating aspect would work with my idea, guess it wouldn’t really.

Maybe we should all submit our suggestions on how to do this and then we rate all the suggestions and whoever's suggestion got the highest ratings gets to decide which problem we next solve through democracy.

One idea is to do this in more of a book club format; a theme is picked, everyone who wants to submits a movie for that theme and we collectively vote on which ones we want to see and pick the top 4 or whatever. Then we watch and discuss and rate those chosen however many and whoever submitted the winner picks the next theme. That way we could filter out the movies a bunch of people have already seen or that no one wants to see.

i'm in favour of this i think. what's the maximum number of movies you guys would be willing to watch for a single round? if it were a 4 or 6 week deadline, let's say?

I like this. Four movies sounds manageable, say every 6-8 weeks

Reactions: CiG
not necessarily. i guess there’s some competition inherently built in to the voting process as you’re trying to choose a movie that’ll get voted for, but there doesn’t have to be ratings and winners etc, i’m sure there are other ways to decide the host each time. depends what’s more fun to you guys.

Reactions: CiG
I don't mind rating since I'd do that routinely when watching a movie anyway, but equally we could just rank the movies 1-4 and then the person with the highest average ranking hosts next time. That might actually be fairer than rating /10, because I imagine this will be a smaller group than the mixtape thread and if one person gives a 1/10 it will heavily distort things.

Edit - except this suggestion could lead to lots of ties. Host gets a casting vote maybe?

We should probably figure out who is definitely down to do this before we decide the parts that will be contingent on the number of participants.

I'd be interested if the quota is low, which seems to be the consensus. Also, it'll depend how relevant and obscure my cinematic experiences have been. Not sure I'm widely-watched enough to offer films that most people haven't seen.