The GMD Movie Club Thread

Revenge Nominations
Alexandra's Project (2003)

A regular suburban family man comes home from work on his birthday to find a deserted house and a videotape waiting to be played... (by the director of Bad Boy Bubby).

Black Book (2006)

In the Nazi-occupied Netherlands during World War II, a Jewish singer infiltrates the regional Gestapo headquarters for the Dutch resistance... (by the director of Robocop, Total Recall and Basic Instinct).

Lady Snowblood (1972)

A strikingly beautiful young woman is trained from birth to be a deadly instrument of revenge against the swindlers who destroyed her family...

No One Lives (2012)

A gang of ruthless highway killers kidnap a wealthy couple traveling cross country only to shockingly discover that things are not what they seem... (by the director of The Midnight Meat Train).

Oldboy (2013 remake)

Obsessed with vengeance, a man sets out to find out why he was kidnapped and locked into solitary confinement for twenty years without reason... (by the director of Do the Right Thing and Malcolm X).

Point Blank (1967)

After being double-crossed and left for dead, a mysterious man named Walker single-mindedly tries to retrieve the money that was stolen from him... (from the director of Deliverance).

The Proposition (2005)

A lawman apprehends a notorious outlaw and gives him nine days to kill his older brother, or else they'll execute his younger brother... (by the director of The Road, written by Nick Cave).

You may vote for up to 4 films for everyone to watch. You may vote for your own choice but aren't obligated to do so. Please try not to be a salty bitch if your choice doesn't get votes.

I have seen quite a few of these but none of them recently. Don't really have a problem watching any for a second time.

My votes:

Black Book
Alexandra's Project
Point Blank
No-One Lives

Verhoeven/De Heer/Boorman is a great trio of directors to start with.

black book
lady snowblood
oldboy
point blank

not adverse to watching any of these though. even the proposition, which i didn't like at the time but it's been literally over 15 years and it was probably just too weird for me back then.

Reactions: CiG
What's the way to watch Point Blank? I'm not seeing it on a free service like Tubi or on the common/popular streaming services

What's the way to watch Point Blank? I'm not seeing it on a free service like Tubi or on the common/popular streaming services

i will upload stuff to a google drive link or something if needs be. might be an issue if there's anyone completely averse to downloading for whatever reason, otherwise should be easy enough.

Alexandra's Project
Black Book
Lady Snowblood
No One Lives

Is there some critical reevaluation of the Oldboy remake going on that I missed? Curious why people actually want to watch that, only heard bad things.

I don't really follow, but I guess watching a widely maligned movie could make for an interesting discussion. I can't say it's anywhere close to being in the running for me in this lineup, though.

Well when I watched it after years of avoiding it, I was surprised by how cool it was, and it seems like nobody I know has seen it and has an instant disgust reaction at its mere mention. So I want to force people to see it, and see if it confirms their instincts that it'll suck or if it surprises them too.

As far as I'm concerned it's the only wild card choice up there. The rest feels pretty obvious they'll be enjoyed by most if not all. *shrug*

Reactions: Vegard Pompey