Is metal a stereotype?

NecrosluG

Symphonic Metal Composer
Nov 22, 2006
The Grand Psychotic Castle
This is a thread to discuss about this subject. I have heard numerous people stating that they kinda like metal but they dont want to start listening to it for fear of making them into what they think it would.
I mean, does tv and all the ignorant rumors and stereotypes about metal prevent people from listening to it and making them judgemental about it?
What are your thoughts and responses to this matter ?
Discuss.

I'd rather not have close minded/ignorant people like those listening to metal anyway. If it is not approached by people with openness and interest, chances are it'll fall on deaf ears.

I was once afraid of listening to black metal for fear it would de-construct my Christian beliefs and values. A year later, my faith is still strong and black metal is my favorite genre by far.

Piggybacking on the initial questions, do you think metalheads are perpetuating the stereotype of "metalheads" that I believe started in the 80s? (The rabblerousing, belligerant alcoholic, authority hating, illiterate man-child)

Well Necroslug, ive never heard these rumours, people round here hardly listen to metal just because they think it 'sucks' and is 'loud' so instead listen to rap, or indie new wave crap like Panic at the disco.

I don't think metal should be a stereotype, there are alot of different people who listen to metal, and they aren't all drinking, non-showering, and especially not illiterate... I don't think there is any real stereotype of metalheads other than tv shows like Beavis and Butthead and people who think metal is all about "satan", most people don't know that much about metal.

Also I agree with the statement that people who are ignorant and believe in such stereotypes probably wouldn't like metal anyway

The negatives of something will always be seen before the positives (unless we are talking eco-economically), that is why this metal stereotype exists, and is what I distance myself from ...

very few people really know anything about metal

there's not much (real metal) anywhere on television or on radio- and it is widely ignored by mainstream music critics

the people who hear the mainstream stuff think it is just idiots who have no idea how to play an instrument whining about juvenile issues - oh yea and the gothic/satanic stereotypes don't help either

most people who are open minded and who I show some metal usually respond quite well

the other stereotype that doesn't help is the drunk high school drop out loser with greasy hair listening to metal

if people would just listen to the music and ignore all the bullshit around it, I believe most people could find a subgenre of metal that would appeal to them (well guys anyways, girls don't enjoy aggressive/angry music for the most part)

Bach was even considered "satanic"; baroque taking the greatest of the hatred. What people do not understand frightens them. Complex music has always been a target.