The Metalhead stereotype

I have short hair and I generally wear a mix of clothes. I have some light-colored stuff and some dark band shirts. I don't listen to metal as much as most metalheads because I get bored of it, like if I were to listen to any type of music on a frequent basis. The only metalhead part of me is probably being anti-social, but that's only like half the time.

No, but I wouldn't consider myself a "metalhead." I am just a normal boring person who likes metal as well as a lot of other things. I am planning on dropping about $200 on expensive Satanic/sigil of Baphomet themed shirts in the coming week. And I will dress as a Klingon for Halloween and probably get mistaken for Abbath/Horgh.

Welcome, bro. You're like the second or third black person ever to post on this forum in its entire existence.
Make that third.

From appearance a lot of the people I meet don't even know it's a band shirt I'm wearing. I usually wear band shirts 95% of the time. the other 5% is probably now at home or if I'm wearing like a shirt of a comic book character(ie hellboy,punisher,cowboy bebop). Most people think its some kind of evil statement or can't read the logo at all lol. Hell it would take a long time for me to get long hair anyway.

When I tell them I love metal(especially being in a black area or school)they think I'm some Anti-religious, Baby Eating, Idiot. Ironically I'm not anti-religious at all(people have different beliefs, deal with it), and the other stuff is just plain stupid. I don't really try to act like an ass or I hate you attitude, nor do I even talk much at all. I'm really into art and sort of thing in which most people label Hipsters as that type of ridiculous statement

I am attracted and entertained to morbid imagery like horror movies, books and all that jazz. I probably fit the statement what the guy said earlier about liking fantasy and rpg's, gaming,and Anime(being a huge fan of that type of thing). So I guess I fit the stereotype in a way. btw I'm new here

Metalhead stereotype to me means of course all the wardrobe-related trappings (denim and leather, band t-shirts), but also means anti-social neckbeards who have issues with rage and alcoholism. I don't know where I stand, tbh, I wear a band shirt once a week or so, I do like to drink, and I have a temper. I used to be socially awkward, but I've outgrown that. Image wise, I get accused of being a hippy/hipster more often than anything else. It doesn't matter anyway, because your average John or Jane Doe has no idea what a metalhead is. Whenever I happen to be decked out in full on metal regalia, I get called a goth, a punk, or a wannabe biker. Metal subculture isn't just misunderstood, it's basically unknown.

When I asked if you fit the image, I wasn't asking for an inventory of your wardrobe in the sense that all I wanted to know was if you dressed like one. Any moron can dress like a metalhead. Appearance plays a part of it, but if you don't look at ease in the clothes you're wearing, it's going to be obvious and you'll probably look and feel like a fool, not like the image you hope to portray.

We may not care what most people think of us but there is always that time at the wrong moment when someone says something and BAM! It hits you like a ton of bricks and you're faced with being stereotyped unfairly and a sense of outrage takes over despite knowing better.

That is more along the lines of what I am looking for as far as responses. As far as fitting the image, "yes" "no" or "sort of" work fine. How you fit the image doesn't really matter unless it's pertinent to the scenario of how you dealt with the person stereotyping you.

This leads to another question; if you don't fit the stereotype, has anyone treated you differently when they found out that you do like extreme metal?

Pale skinny acne-ridden nerd with no taste in clothing. I'd say that I fit it fairly well.

When I asked if you fit the image, I wasn't asking for an inventory of your wardrobe in the sense that all I wanted to know was if you dressed like one. Any moron can dress like a metalhead. Appearance plays a part of it, but if you don't look at ease in the clothes you're wearing, it's going to be obvious and you'll probably look and feel like a fool, not like the image you hope to portray.

We may not care what most people think of us but there is always that time at the wrong moment when someone says something and BAM! It hits you like a ton of bricks and you're faced with being stereotyped unfairly and a sense of outrage takes over despite knowing better.

That is more along the lines of what I am looking for as far as responses. As far as fitting the image, "yes" "no" or "sort of" work fine. How you fit the image doesn't really matter unless it's pertinent to the scenario of how you dealt with the person stereotyping you.

This leads to another question; if you don't fit the stereotype, has anyone treated you differently when they found out that you do like extreme metal?

How old are you? I feel like this sort of "you've assessed me incorrectly!!!1111" rage ebbs away and wanes with age.

I'm at a point in my life where "what music do you like?" bears little to no significance on how people perceive me. I keep that shit personal.

because of my awful natural sidepart i tend to look more like a scene fag with my hair than a metalhead - and i'm far too lazy to train it

Not really.

That is more along the lines of what I am looking for as far as responses. As far as fitting the image, "yes" "no" or "sort of" work fine.

Sort of.

Perhaps you're at the wrong forum. I don't think anybody here is interested in cultivating a victim complex (presumably because most of us aren't in high school anymore).

I agree, but here it is

I'm at a point in my life where "what music do you like?" bears little to no significance on how people perceive me. I keep that shit personal.

yup. i don't get people who over-over-analyze this sort of thing....

8F68D85EAF3CEA46705447_Large.jpg

you guys like party?

Perhaps you're at the wrong forum. I don't think anybody here is interested in cultivating a victim complex (presumably because most of us aren't in high school anymore).

I don't understand the point in having conversations on this topic.

Who said anything about a victim complex? I was talking about a moment in time of experience that most of us would have experienced at one time and its general momentary annoyance. I find human interaction interesting and knowing how individuals react to something that is almost universally experienced would be an interesting discussion.

The point of conversations on this topic is just that - it's something to talk about that most of us could relate to and vent about.

The point of conversations on this topic is just that - it's something to talk about that most of us could relate to and vent about.

The point of our point, is that most of us don't give a fuck. I daresay we never slit our wrists and/or huddle around the corner.