hair length among male metal-heads

How long is your hair?

• Total voters

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
Given the often-made association between heavy metal and long hair, and the fact that seemingly 99% of metal musicians have long hair, it would be interesting to see how many guys on the forums here sport this hair style as well. Let's find out just how true the stereotype is. :D

Feel free to discuss any factors behind your hair preference. Are you in a band? Do you live in a cold area? Are you too lazy to get a haircut?

Note: Don't vote if you're a girl. :p

As for me, it's short. I've thought about growing it long on several occasions, but once it starts to get around 4+ inches in length, it annoys the living shit out of me, for several reasons:

1) uncomfortable during summer
2) pain in the ass to wash
3) always in my face
4) the gradually-balding area around my part makes me look ~20 years older if my hair isn't short

In general, nothing about my daily appearance really conforms to the 'metal image'.

Short and don't plan to grow it out, it's shorter now as I got my haircut a couple days back and looks very squarish now but in a couple weeks it'll be spiked up and the cycle continues.

Voted "short", even though I feel unrepresented in this poll. I shave my head. It's pretty great. Very low maintenence, very comfortable, looks good and girls seem to love it for some reason. I just use electic clippers, not a razor, so it isn't smooth, and girls love the fuzzy feeling.

Voted "short", even though I feel unrepresented in this poll. I shave my head. It's pretty great. Very low maintenence, very comfortable, looks good and girls seem to love it for some reason. I just use electic clippers, not a razor, so it isn't smooth, and girls love the fuzzy feeling.

:lol:

I've always wanted to try a shaved head, but I'm pretty self-conscious, and it would be such a drastic change to my look. I'd hate getting funny looks from everyone I know. Maybe one day I'll wake up and find myself not giving a fuck - who knows.

I think you're covered by the "short" option, btw. :)

edit: Actually, in retrospect, it would have been nice to have a "shaved head" option. It is kind of in a class of its own, and arguably more 'metal' than moderate-length hair. Oh well.

I had long hair and then I finally chopped it off because it was just becoming too much of a pain in the ass to take care of. I have curly hair, so I had to brush it everyday otherwise it'd knot up (and I can't fucking stand dreadlocks).

so...no hair ftw.

Ditto. Except I shaved mine when good 'ol male pattern baldness started to set in after having long hair for about 10 years.

Long (Halfway down the back or so I suppose), in a band, live in a cold area (though it's summer now), too lazy to cut but I would also hunt down and kill whoever cut it for me and his whole family, so laziness is really just a small part - long hair is more maintenance than short hair most of the time.

It's gay to pretend that long hair isn't heavy metal kool or that you're too old/young and only unkempt teens have long hair. I'm a reagular office dude during the weekdays warning a pay and all, plus I'm good at what I do so stop whining if you can't get a job, it's not because of your hair.

/Hell Mike

I long hair, roughly down to my shoulders. If it gets much longer than that, it's too impractical, though I am contemplating adding another 10/15 cm...

I haven't had a haircut in three years, and it still doesn't go much past my shoulders. The period where it's always getting in your eyes and stuff is annoying, but once it gets long enough to tuck behind the ears it's not so bad. It's moderately annoying to wash, and it looks pretty awful if I don't wash every other day.

Good to see that there is a lot of long hair here...

I'm a sucker for men with long hair.

I go between having really long hair for a long time and a shaved head for a little while. I've grown it out twice so far. Currently it is halfway down my back. I'm thinking about doing the shaved head thing again for a few months; not sure though.