Is metal a stereotype?

If someone really thinks listening to metal is gonna change them into some long haired, satan worshipping, band shirt wearing metalhead, they should be shot. Music is just music.

With that said, I know some of the most stereo-typical preps/jocks you've ever seen who only shop at Abercrombie, and they're huge death metal fans.

I was once afraid of listening to black metal for fear it would de-construct my Christian beliefs and values. A year later, my faith is still strong and black metal is my favorite genre by far.

Mark 3:28-29 said:
"Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin"

You lose

I was once afraid of listening to black metal for fear it would de-construct my Christian beliefs and values. A year later, my faith is still strong and black metal is my favorite genre by far.

I used to be quite adverse to growling and stayed far away from it in my power metal revels, but now I am much more interested in bands employing growls and screeches than actual singing. Some of you probably remember me from back then. :oops:

With that said, I know some of the most stereo-typical preps/jocks you've ever seen who only shop at Abercrombie, and they're huge death metal fans.

I look like a pretty sterotypical jock outside of when I'm wearing my band shirts (which is like maybe once every 4 or 5 days)

metalheads give me a weird reaction when I introduce myself and tell them I'm a huge metal fan

I used to be quite adverse to growling and stayed far away from it in my power metal revels, but now I am much more interested in bands employing growls and screeches than actual singing. Some of you probably remember me from back then. :oops:

as much as I enjoy the overall product of death metal... clean singing (symphony X, opeth, etc...) is a million times more enjoyable and interesting for me

lots of DM bands I enjoy despite the vocals

Um... how are some guys shrieking about how they hate Jesus going to cause you to lose your faith?! The only thing that should cause that is if you find out that your faith conflicts with known facts.

I have heard numerous people stating that they kinda like metal but they dont want to start listening to it for fear of making them into what they think it would.
I mean, does tv and all the ignorant rumors and stereotypes about metal prevent people from listening to it and making them judgemental about it?

It's probably more the fact that the average metal fan is completely closed minded and judgemental about other styles and scenes that puts people off metal rather than the Satan-worshipping, beer guzzling neanderthal stereotype.

I believe the negative stereotype of metalheads is indeed a bad thing for the genre as many people willing to listen to metal if it weren't for the negative sterotype would listen to it if it weren't for the sterotype.

^^ The first paragraph I agree with, although you didn't really need to repeat yourself. Everything else you've written is basically a bunch of cut & paste anus.com rubbish that doesn't even make sense, let alone relate to the thread topic.

In response to the thread question:

It is a stereotype just for the fact that others (i.e. mainstream public opinion) are considering it a stereotype (as majority consensus usually dictates popular culture thought); many of the stereotypes portrayed in the 80's have much truth to them, but they are by far not the whole picture - unfortunately, no one really bothers to check the 'facts' when they are presented to them.

In my opinion, the metal population is pretty divided; most 'metalheads' I've met have been insanely fucking stupid individuals, fellating each other's half assed illogical opinionated claims, and backing their thoughts up with equally ludicrous actions. There has only been a handful of people I've met that have had a strong character, and solid sense of individualism (apart from the atypical, get drunk, fuck a chick, and party). To most, metal is an easy way to fuck women, and play an instrument…

Then again, that’s what all of music is to those who don’t participate in it :lol:

Still, I wish I could actually meet metalheads outside of southern California.

There are stereotypes for metalheads, just like there are for everyone. One show I hate, for casting metalheads into a "worthless loser" roll is Bevis and Butthead. I fucking HATE that show for how it portrays metalheads (Bevis and Butthead being really into trad metal).