The Metalhead stereotype

Here's me after somebody treated me like I'm a stereotypical metalhead. I can only hope that one day we can all learn to respect one another a little more.

man-crying-b.jpg

I used to have long hair, but it's been a long time. I wear band shirts when not at work, but I also have a wardrobe with plenty of plain shirts, both fitted and loose.

I now rock the shaved head and beard look so I look more like a gay bear than a metalhead.

Also, today I am rock an very sell-out inspired outfit consisting of Tommy Hilfiger pants and dress shirt for work.

The point of conversations on this topic is just that - it's something to talk about that most of us could relate to and vent about.

You are at the wrong forum. Here we just disagree about which bands are good and make fun of other people for the bands they like. We'd actually rather not have a common experience to rally around. We prefer to be hellbent on ruining each other's day. It's likely most of us avoid the problem of being awkwardly stereotyped because we don't shop at faggot Hot Topic; in fact, we make fun of people who do. Most of us prefer philosophical texts and works of critical theory over Metal Hammer and Revolver. Rather than sacrifice goats or bulls to Satan, many of us prefer and in fact enjoy a fine lamb roast, or the texture and juiciness of a 9 oz filet mignon (medium, please).

I fit the stereotype. Long black hair, black jeans, constant band shirts. I work for a family run grocery store where I constantly get shit for my hair. My boss threatened to fire me if I didn't cut it, but I'm quitting in a few months to go to college so I'm keeping he. He didn't fire me.

I usually get a lot of compliments on my long hair though. I have my mother's hair, which, fortunately, was beautiful when she was my age. I also come off as an "elitist" asshole, which I usually do just for shits and giggles. I have a lot of non-metal friends that tolerate this so they at least understand I'm not too serious when I am acting like an ass. But I do take my music seriously.

I dunno. At the momment I'm wearing camo shorts and a Watain shirt. Most of the time I wear button-up plaid shirts and jeans. My hair isn't as long as it was and I have a short beard. I guess it's easier to tell that I like metal when it's colder out cus I have/had patches all over my jacket and I'd tuck my bdu's into my boots or just wear black jeans.
I'm extremely laid back and it's quite hard to piss me off. I don't think I'm dumb :lol: just slow. haha the only feedback I've ever gotten was one time this chick I was talking to was going through people she knew "person A is this, person B is that,... I didn't know what the hell you were."

I fit the stereotype. Long black hair, black jeans, constant band shirts. I work for a family run grocery store where I constantly get shit for my hair. My boss threatened to fire me if I didn't cut it, but I'm quitting in a few months to go to college so I'm keeping he. He didn't fire me.

I usually get a lot of compliments on my long hair though. I have my mother's hair, which, fortunately, was beautiful when she was my age. I also come off as an "elitist" asshole, which I usually do just for shits and giggles. I have a lot of non-metal friends that tolerate this so they at least understand I'm not too serious when I am acting like an ass. But I do take my music seriously.
Working at a hippie store ftw. I'm allowed to have long hair(just as long as it's tied back), wear my Venom Welcome To Hell shirt and have any kind of facial hair I want.

I have short hair and sometimes, when I'm not sporting a band shirt, I wear brightly colored polos. That doesn't stop me, however, from putting my steeltoes through some poseur temporal lobe. Death to falses.

This thread is why I don't want to consider myself a metalhead. I'm not a nerdy whiny dgtgrftgrfgtrgtrrrrfrtfgtgtfrgtgggggfgttttttrt who overanalyses why other people bully him.

When I asked if you fit the image, I wasn't asking for an inventory of your wardrobe in the sense that all I wanted to know was if you dressed like one. Any moron can dress like a metalhead. Appearance plays a part of it, but if you don't look at ease in the clothes you're wearing, it's going to be obvious and you'll probably look and feel like a fool, not like the image you hope to portray.

We may not care what most people think of us but there is always that time at the wrong moment when someone says something and BAM! It hits you like a ton of bricks and you're faced with being stereotyped unfairly and a sense of outrage takes over despite knowing better.

That is more along the lines of what I am looking for as far as responses. As far as fitting the image, "yes" "no" or "sort of" work fine. How you fit the image doesn't really matter unless it's pertinent to the scenario of how you dealt with the person stereotyping you.

This leads to another question; if you don't fit the stereotype, has anyone treated you differently when they found out that you do like extreme metal?

I misread your post. Sorry. :oops:

And no, generally we're all pretty diverse.