Is Opeth over?

I think they're starting to run out of steam. Maybe with the next album they won't write material thats just heavy and mellow. The last two albums sounded extremely forced.

No. Mike's already writing the next album and it's going to be fucking grim.

Dan said:
I think they're starting to run out of steam. Maybe with the next album they won't write material thats just heavy and mellow. The last two albums sounded extremely forced.

Agreed... the long tracks on deliverance don't build up like the songs did on MAYH and Still Life. And "summer was miles and miles away" is quite possibly the most cliche-like thing Mike has ever written. I know it's not my place to criticize, but I'm beginning to wonder how much their new label "Music For Nations" controls them....

hell guys, remember, the new album are said to more like the old REALLY god days, something similiar to Still Life or such.
besides, damnation may not be to good, but deliverance rocks! they got steam, and more, and is coming back to the right track right now.

face it - they are not what they used to be. they're just another porcupine tree now. they're not opeth anymore.
Agreed... I like the older material better than anything else they've done. Uptill My arms, your hearse they couldn't do anything wrong for me. After that for me it got a bit old anyway. But Damnation I liked.... a lot! Just as I like Porcupine Tree :). Steven Wilson should just keep away when Opeth is being Opeth, he's good at progrock and should stick to that.

u are all kinda annoying...... i joined this forum about a month ago and ever since that day I have realized that opeth fans are just like every other fan of every other band in the world. if opeth gave a fuck about what people thought then they would probably be on the warped tour with green hair and nose rings. when it comes down to it, if no one on earth bought "damnation" or "deliverance" Opeth would still make music because thats what musicians do. I am a musician and the only time people give a fuck about what i play is when it sounds like someone else. Am i the only one that is just grateful for any demonstration of true musicianship and creativity, even if it is different from what i am used to..........I hope not.

P.S. If You think opeth is going in the wrong direction then think of it this way, After bwp and "d1" opeth could have gone even closer to the mainstream of heavy music and prolly been super famous and all over mtv. but instead they put out "d2" and defied the mainstream once again.

Maybe i am just totally insane and eveyone else is right? who cares.

Reactions: HaloX
I just can't help myself but i have more to say.
If I am not mistaken it still say's opeth on the cd covers doesn't it.
EXAMPLE:
Metallica's new cd is horrible in my opinion but that doesn't matter, their first four albums were amazing and always will be. why must we judge eachother by what some call our lowest moments? If anything, failure is what confirms our humanity.
I guess while the rest of you are complaining about how bad the new stuff is, i will be enjoying the music that i love and that inspires me, and maybe one day i'll be so lucky as to have a few loyal hater (fans?) like you.

Once again maybe i'm insane and eveyone else is right, I don't care.

i do realize that d1 and d2 were supposed to come out together, and since you know this too then how was it ruined? if you are a fan of opeth and followed their release news, then you expected these two to come out together, so just because they were separated by a few months you still realize the original intent, so how is it ruined in your eyes?
This is a waste of time......just stop talking about this shit and realize that all good things come to an end....wether that was three years ago or twenty years from now.
fuck...i'm done

I understand, i guess my point is not that anyone here hate's opeth or even dislikes them. I just got annoyed with some of the posts on this thread, I realize that we all enjoy certain aspects of opeth and we all have an opinion on their music. I guess i misunderstood the implications of certain posts. I don't dissagree that the new stuff is very different, and while i don't veiw it as bad, I do think it has lost some of it's luster. my favs are Morningrise and MAYH. to be honest, i would be perfectly happy if opeth continued down their curent path, because it is still better than most music today, though i would be ecstatic to see a return to the old days.
Nogie makes good points, thanks

molquin said:
failure is what confirms our humanity.
Yeah, now if the band would see that and get off
their high horse.
They are nothing special and they never have been.

just my 0.02€

And im fucking tired of seeing this goddamn opeth worshipping crap. face it - they are not what they used to be. they're just another porcupine tree now. they're not opeth anymore.
So youre saying that a metal band cannot experiment with a variety of different styles? that they have to remain load and brutal always or else they begin to become mainstream and suck? thats one of the most ridiculous things i have ever heard!

Nogie said:
They were/are over since BWP.

ha, i think i heard that somewhere not too long ago...hmmm :tickled:

And all you people bashing those "little korn lovers freaks"... stop being so fucking elitist bastards and shut the fuck up. everyone has to start from something, right?

You guys have no right to bash them for saying "opeth is my favourite band" blah blah blah, cuz you guys probably did the same when you joined this forum. the fact that you people might listen to something that is not punk or nu metal or whatever and they do, doesnt make them anything different from you guys.

And im fucking tired of seeing this goddamn opeth worshipping crap. face it - they are not what they used to be. they're just another porcupine tree now. they're not opeth anymore.
u slightly contradict yourslef in that statement

Well, Noga, Im not a complete fangirl..hell i dont even own every one of their records! I like them the way they are because it sounds good to me...I dont think they sound like alot of other bands...So Damnation sounded a bit like PT, so what! Its not like they are gonna sound like the all the time...They like to play metal so they are going to continue that...

I distinctly remember Mikael saying that they're going to release "the most brutal thing that you've ever heard" at the DAMNATION concert I went to... Can't wait to hear what it sounds like! :Spin:

Well, I agree with nogie on mostly everything (I only read 2 of her posts....too long, too sleepy) except on one thing...the comparison between Damnation and Porcupine Tree.

Really, I love Porcupine Tree, but I think Steven Wilson did kinda ruin Opeth..but the Opeth influence on PT is also annoying for me (Blackest eyes, the creator had a mastertape, etc), yet I fail to see how Damnation is similar to ANYTHING PT have ever released.

I don't see any similarities whatsoever. I do think that Steven's presence is all over the place on that album, but it sounds NOTHING like Porcupine Tree at all. Maybe a little like Anekdoten at times, but never PT.

Could anyone please open my eyes to this?

Everyone and their moms say Damnation is Opeth's attempt to rip-off PT (In Absentia being the most mentioned album).....but I think a lot of these people have never even given PT a chance to begin with and are just regurgitating an argument they read on metalrules.com or something.

I'm not saying anyone who's posted here is that kind of person though.....I'm just sincerely curious as to what you all think the similarities between Damnation and PT are.