Is Opeth your # 1 Band?

What are they like? Wolves in the Throne Room.

they are like this:

And it's only the first half of the song so it doesn't really do it justice, but there's not very much to chose from on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opeth is a cool band. I first heard them around 05, i believe Ghost Reveries was the album i sampled. I didn't really dig it at first, but then re-checked Opeth again when Watershed made it's appearance.

Opeth is not my favourite band, and i don't like all the Opeth albums. I find Orchid and Morningrise quite booring really. I think My Arms Your Hearse would be my favourite album, and the Blackwater Park shortly there after, and Watershed is cool too.

Today i enjoy Ghost Reveries and a couple of tracks from Still Life and Deliverance together with Damnation, but not enough to really love those albums.

But, i am going to both Opeth gigs in Stockholm, and am really looking forward to it.

MmmmMmmm bitches, it's on now!

1) Opeth
2) The Cure
3) Tool
4) Skinny Puppy
5) Porcupine Tree
6) Aphex Twin
7) Boards of Canada
8) Autechre
9) The Future Sound of London
10) Megadeth

Yes,It's my favourite band,probably due the fact that they mix brilliantly brutal bits with mellow bits.
They are great,and they meet my personal tastes,too.

8 years and counting. Though i don't really listen to them much anymore, i still consider them to have the top spot. I think #1 bands/artists though in concept is silly. At least in my own case, there is no one band who even comes close to doing ALL of the things i like to get out of music. That would be impossible anyway, as much of it exists at extremes which can't coincide. Different music for different purposes, no band can do it all.

My current list:

#1 - Porcupine Tree
#2 - Katatonia
#3 - Opeth
#4 - Dream Theater
#5 - Edge of Sanity
#6 - Anathema
#7 - Agalloch
#8 - Negura Bunget
#9 - Cynic
#10 - Iced Earth
#11 - Burzum
#12 - Liquid Tension Experiment

My all time fav band is Pink Floyd. Nothing will top that.

I think #1 bands/artists though in concept is silly. At least in my own case, there is no one band who even comes close to doing ALL of the things i like to get out of music. That would be impossible anyway, as much of it exists at extremes which can't coincide. Different music for different purposes, no band can do it all.
I agree with this, which is why I'm unable to rank bands past #1. But I still give Opeth that top spot, maybe just for sentimental reasons, because, like Gëist and noura said, they set standards for my taste in all music.

This is gonna sound lame, but I don't really even think of Opeth as a measly band, more like an entity or a representation of a certain mindset. I don't have any Opeth tattoos, but even as my musical tastes change over time, I wouldn't be embarrassed to have one, because they're much more than a band to me.

Christ, fangirl clean-up, aisle 10.

Yes. And although Still Life and MAYH are my personal faves, they haven't released a bad album yet (or, imo a bad song yet). Besides, all of my other favorite bands eventually disappoint me, whereas Opeth continues to do what they want, but never lets me down.

Every album they've released since I discovered them ~6 years ago has made me say "well, that's weird", but I've always grown to love it.