Is Slipknot metal?

is slipknot metal?

• yes

Votes: 55 44.7%
  • no

Votes: 68 55.3%

• Total voters
its because they think slipknot is brutal. sure the drums are pretty brutal for a mainstream band but they arent shit. mick should have stayed tearing shit up with anal blast.

... I like Tori Amos... Just TRY to classify her! (good luck) How about Primus? Sorry, but I don't care about genre's and most "open-minded" music listeners wouldn't either... If you can't understand that, then I truly feel sorry for you...

All I'm saying is genres are GOOD things to have. Christians would always say Rock is "the devil" b/c of the antisocial message, has nothing to do with genre. Genres PURPOSE is to help classify a band. Of course this is tough sometimes like with these examples you give. Interestingly, I make Primus and Tory Amos they OWN genre. Hehehe. I'll be talking to my bud and we'll say "sort of like Primus" in the same way we may say "sort of like Gothic metal and doom metal" if we were trying to describe My Dying bride. Descriptive things are always good in my book, of course I don't assume something is good or sucks based on what genre it is generally reffered to. For example it's "likely" but not a certainty that I will not like any band that is generally called "punk rock" <shrug>

Originally posted by Demonspell
If you need an explanation why Slipknot isn't metal, you're probably a closet fan :)

I like Slipknot. I wouldn't go out of my way to go and see 'em or anything (though I have seen 'em in the past - and they were good live..). I think they're pretty decent aggressive heavy metal. The whole image thing is a little contrived, but I guess it's not a million miles away from Anthrax and their Bermuda shorts and "MOSH" placards or Agent Steel and their matching orange jump-suits.

The biggest problem folks seem to have about Slipknot is the "us and them". They're attracting fans who have only a passing interest in metal itself and who are taking on the image aspects without actually getting involved with the scene. This, in turn, is making the more hardcore metallers look like dummies in the eyes of the "normal" folks who, let's face it, probably couldn't give a shit at the end of the day.

It is frustrating to have a scene hijacked, but it's not the fault of Slipknot themselves. From what I can gather, most of the band members are, or have been, involved with extreme metal in previous bands. The whole masks thing and the image in general probably wasn't intended with some sort of machiavellian plot for world domination behind it. I have no doubt that, being the type of people I imagine them to be, they just thought it would be a "cool" thing to do ("Duuuude"). A couple of million kids seem to agree.

I say good luck to Slipknot. Some people may think that they're ruining the scene. I don't agree. They may be ruining the perception of the scene from an outsiders point of view, but what exactly has changed besides that? If even one in ten of these little pricks in a hooded sweatshirt sticks with it, delves a little deeper into the scene and becomes a metaller through and through (we all have to start somewhere), then I think it's all worth it.

There's a good chance that some people getting into Opeth right now are only there thanks to Slipknot.

:zombie:

Lee

has it occured to anyone of you, too, that no one can convince anyone on such threads. i like slipknot and think they are metal, by the way. not technical and perhaps even crappy, but still i think they are metal and like them.

They're metal, I mean, what else can they be, soft core emo rock with a slight hint of american trashcore death metal or some bullshit label someone wants to paste on it just because they are elitist about what metal is?

This thread seems to be more of a question of wether people like them or not. Those that don't mind them will say they're metal, those that don't like them, be it because they don't think they're technical enough, because they wear silly costumes/face paint(ie, image ; kiss / several black METAL bands anyone?) or because they just don't like the music, will come out and say they're shit(acceptable, everyone has tastes) or that they're not metal (WTF? since when is fast drums, downtuned guitars not metal? You may not agree with the lyrical style and find it whingy, but it still sounds like metal. I mean, is manowar metal? They're a lot less heavy (oh, and gay, but that's a different story altogether) FFS)

Originally posted by Lee_B

It IS metal and your comment about the poprock from before is nothing short of idiotic. I'd like to know what exactly isn't metal about Slipknot?

If Slipknot isn't metal then what is? What does that make Manowar, the self-proclaimed "Kings Of Metal" who aren't even nearly as heavy as Slipknot?

Being metal isn't anything to do with how popular a band is. It is, fudamenatally, about heavy guitars and heavy riff-driven music, which Slipknot have by the truckload.

They may well be really popular. They may well dress like clowns. They may well have a fan-base of 12 year old kids. But they're metal none the less. Fact. The more you argue the more foolish you'll make yourself look.

When I was 12 me and all my pals were all wearing Iron Maiden shirts. They were the Slipknot of the early 80's! Are they not metal either?

Lee B

I totally have to agree here!

Originally posted by Duvall
The story I heard is.. they formed a band on their own (NOT manufactured) and found that no one would pay them any heed until they decided to go the route of spectacle.

This is obviously the problem here. Everyone is having trouble accepting a band into what they feel is their genre of music when the band is so piss poor that they need glammour to get any attention.
But tha doesn't really answer the question and the only way I can think ot is this:
Everyone keeps calling Slipknot nu-metal.
It has the word metal in in for Christ'ssake!
Now don't get me wrong, I hate them, with a passion and while I'm sure I'll get flammed for this, I can't see how they really differ from Cannibal corpse, at least the stuff off the Bleeding, if not eveything else.

Originally posted by 7 Dying Trees
They're metal, I mean, what else can they be, soft core emo rock with a slight hint of american trashcore death metal or some bullshit label someone wants to paste on it just because they are elitist about what metal is?

This thread seems to be more of a question of wether people like them or not. Those that don't mind them will say they're metal, those that don't like them, be it because they don't think they're technical enough, because they wear silly costumes/face paint(ie, image ; kiss / several black METAL bands anyone?) or because they just don't like the music, will come out and say they're shit(acceptable, everyone has tastes) or that they're not metal (WTF? since when is fast drums, downtuned guitars not metal? You may not agree with the lyrical style and find it whingy, but it still sounds like metal. I mean, is manowar metal? They're a lot less heavy (oh, and gay, but that's a different story altogether) FFS)

well ...to be honest i don't mind them too much, once in a blue moon i can listen to them .... however i still don't think they're metal...it just doesn't strike me as metal (MFKR did and does still), and that's my opinion and there is nothing that will change it. The question is whether you think it's metal, not whether you like it or not ...i never thought it was metal and i hated them.....now i don't hate them, but i still don't think it's metal. This is a dumb debate anyhow, since we're throwing the SAME points at each other throughout the thread :lol: ....i guess it's all up to the person who is listening. and I'll leave this topic at that.

I despise bands such as Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizket, Linkin Park, etc., etc.....they do nothing for me, that is all I will say and will just leave it at that. Plus, I cannot stand rap....I despise that beyond anything else!!!!

I do however still like Metallica (well, old Metallica that is) and Opeth of course is just a brilliant band....words cannot describe the mesmerizing music of Opeth, quite honestly really.....just my opinion.

Originally posted by Penny
Slipknot is metal. Then you can have your metal. I'll stick with MY extreme music.

(I guess Limp Bizkit and Staind are metal too, huh?)

I've only heard one Limp Bizkit song, never heard Staind.

Although whether anything is any good doesn't mean anything.

I mean, Six Feet Under is the worst band to EVER make music, I can't imagine anything worse, and they are metal.

I'm pretty confident that people consider Slipknot as metal,but the main reason some people here don't want to admit it is because some feel embarassed labeling them a "metal" band,but I'm sure deep down inside they know there metal.

Personally I don't care about Slipknot, but I know there metal, theres no doubt about it. There just like a metal band fused with some rap elements, thats all.

Theres just to many underground metal fans that want there music to be "true" and when ever a band like Slipknot comes around they get offended due to the fact that they feel there gimmickery gives the metal scene a bad image, its like they think such a band doesn't deserve to be labeled as "metal." This is what I feel is going on here with all the individuals that consider Slipknot a non-metal band.