Is there any one metal album that we can all agree is an absolute classic?

Where did I state that the album direction was because of his voice?
Where did I infer that you said that?

I made a statement about his performance on the album. The fact that the album mostly works with his newer vocal style is a nice thing, but his vocals on that album are pretty bad by his previous standards. It's pretty obvious since his voice went down almost overnight.
Do you really think that is just coincidental that his vocal style works for the album? Your position seems to be that his vocals on SoH are the way they are because he'd strained his vocal chords and couldn't do any better. My position is that it was a conscious move because they were trying for a more refined approach on the album and he accomplished exactly what he set out to do at the time. Anyway I'm pretty ready to agree to disagree though because we've had this argument before and I don't see either of us changing our minds anytime soon.

Actually, my position is that you can clearly hear strain in his voice and that his newer vocals aren't as good as the previous ones. I stated in our previous discussion that I felt that they were appropriate for the album. I still think that they don't sound very good. You can feel that they're really refined, but I find that questionable since they aren't sung particularly well and his voice sounds obviously strained.

I have never stated, nor even suggested, that the album would benefit from vocals in the same style as their previous albums. I stated that the performance on the album wasn't that good compared to other albums. As I have repeatedly said, it is still an appropriate style for the album.

Why did you bring up Robert Plant by the way? It's only in more recent years that he lost most of his vocal range. Tom Araya was 26 when South of Heaven was recorded. There's no comparison between the two. He obviously strained his vocal cords between the recording of Reign in Blood and that of South of Heaven because there's no other explanation for someone his age to have lost a substantial part of their vocal range in such a short time. Live performances from this era of earlier songs make it even more readily apparent.

Actually, my position is that you can clearly hear strain in his voice and that his newer vocals aren't as good as the previous ones. I stated in our previous discussion that I felt that they were appropriate for the album. I still think that they don't sound very good. You can feel that they're really refined, but I find that questionable since they aren't sung particularly well and his voice sounds obviously strained.

I have never stated, nor even suggested, that the album would benefit from vocals in the same style as their previous albums. I stated that the performance on the album wasn't that good compared to other albums. As I have repeatedly said, it is still an appropriate style for the album.

Why did you bring up Robert Plant by the way? It's only in more recent years that he lost most of his vocal range. Tom Araya was 26 when South of Heaven was recorded. There's no comparison between the two. He obviously strained his vocal cords between the recording of Reign in Blood and that of South of Heaven because there's no other explanation for someone his age to have lost a substantial part of their vocal range in such a short time. Live performances from this era of earlier songs make it even more readily apparent.

Ok fair enough. I don't agree that it sounds strained. As I said in our previous discussion, I think they sound more forced on earlier albums if anything. The vast majority of his vocals are midrange/half sung anyway so I don't understand where you are hearing this sudden drop in range apart from the use of less high screams.

I brought up Robert Plant because he seemed like a much more obvious example than Chris Cornell of someone who lost his ultra-high range when he got a bit older. I'm no huge Zep fan but according to what I've read his voice started going around 73-74 which would have made him roughly the same age as Tom Araya on SoH. I really don't care to get into a side argument though.

The kind of vocals Araya was doing in Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits and Reign in Blood really explain why. I don't think they sound that bad on South of Heaven but still...it definitely took a toll on him.

Speaking of your signature by the way:

Stormbringer!
Dyvim Tvar, my old friend
Forget the past for just a while
Theleb K'aama, I must stay
Envy not a task so vile
Magic OF OLD will AID ME
I can feel Stormbringer shake
Lord of winds, I CALL YOU!
Help me cause the earth to QUUAAAKKE!!!

Reactions: Elric of Melniboné
I mean, not liking them is one thing and totally understandable, but denying that they are classics? That'd be like saying Bitches Brew or Trans Europe Express aint classics

"Burn My Eyes" by Machine Head (Another album with the Peavey 6505 amp head)
"Reign In Blood" by Slayer
"Ride The Lightning" and "Master Of Puppets" by Metallica, their thrash influence was already visible on the second album, to me some riffs on "Kill 'Em All" sound like hard rock
"The Ultraviolence" by Death Angel, at least to my style on guitar playing and thrash...
"Cowboys from Hell", "Vulgar Display Of Power", "The Great Souther Trendkill", "Far Beyond Driven" by Pantera
"Fistful Of Metal" by Anthrax
The first, homonimous album and "Iowa" by Slipknot. "All Hope is Gone" is also kind of a classic but is more modern, only "Psychosocial" was a popular song from it.
"Blizzard Of Ozz", "Diary Of a Madman" and "No Rest For The Wicked" by Ozzy
"The Cleansing" from Suicide Silence. My favorite Deathcore album ever.
I guess that's a good quantity. Reply me about the ones you consider classics or not.

Reactions: Aish!
bruh-3nwk8l.jpg

Do you really have no clue who Miles Davis is? Or Kraftwerk? Are you being genuine?

"Burn My Eyes" by Machine Head (Another album with the Peavey
Haven't listened to that one actually. The only Machine Head album I've ever listened to fully is The Blackening. Might put it on the ol' backlog.

"Reign In Blood" by Slayer
Considering it's influence, you'd be correct. A bit repetitive though but it is what it is.

"Ride The Lightning" and "Master Of Puppets" by Metallica, their thrash influence was already visible on the second album, to me some riffs on "Kill 'Em All" sound like hard rock
They also sound more thrash than NWOBHM on that album.

"The Ultraviolence" by Death Angel, at least to my style on guitar playing and thrash...
Yep.

"Cowboys from Hell", "Vulgar Display Of Power", "The Great Southern Trendkill", "Far Beyond Driven" by Pantera
They were pretty influential. That being said, I think I prefer Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven to the other two.

"Fistful Of Metal" by Anthrax
Oh, it's an excellent debut. Really wish Turbin had done vocals on more albums. He was an absolute monster of a vocalist. Although, I'd probably put Spreading the Disease or Among the Living there as far as the term "classic" goes.

The first, homonimous album and "Iowa" by Slipknot. "All Hope is Gone" is also kind of a classic but is more modern, only "Psychosocial" was a popular song from it.
Hmmm...while I don't really like the band all that much, I can see why Iowa would be considered that.

"Blizzard Of Ozz", "Diary Of a Madman" and "No Rest For The Wicked" by Ozzy
Yep.

"The Cleansing" from Suicide Silence. My favorite Deathcore album ever.
I don't think so. Deathcore, in general, just sounds utterly awful to me. I haven't been able to find a single album from that genre that I liked and Suicide Silence's discography has been no exception to that.

Last edited:
I thought No Rest For The Wicked was usually considered the weakest of all his albums up to that point.

So this isn't the place to declare my undying love of Whigfield?

Baby Metal is amusing, and I agree that Yngwie's "Alchemy" is a classic, but so many people hate him. I would suggest "Ecliptica" by Sonata Arctica, but again, there's little interest in their style on this thread so far.

So this isn't the place to declare my undying love of Whigfield?

Baby Metal is amusing, and I agree that Yngwie's "Alchemy" is a classic, but so many people hate him. I would suggest "Ecliptica" by Sonata Arctica, but again, there's little interest in their style on this thread so far.
Dude, Alchemy is fucking awesome. Only douchebags hate him.