I've got a problem...

The best song for people who cannot appreciate Mikael's entire vocal range is Blackwater Park.

I was bored and actually cut up the mellow bits from every song and made a mellow compilation for each album (approx 20-30 mins long each). I thought it was interesting idea because then I could show ignorant mates what they were missing out on, but then I realised how lacking the albums were without the dynamics.

Even listening to the mellow songs first off IMO will ruin the albums. E.g. if you listen to TBYF 20 times and you can finally get into the other 4 songs, the balance will be broken and the album's beauty in its entirety will be ruined.

Let's see, you say that you get angry when you listen to Korn, so you stop listening to them, and say that you're a metal head and only like good kinds of music like Trivium Korn In Flames and COB, and you say that you don't like the growls of Opeth. Mhmm.. How come you haven't killed yourself?

Let's see, you say that you get angry when you listen to Korn, so you stop listening to them, and say that you're a metal head and only like good kinds of music like Trivium Korn In Flames and COB, and you say that you don't like the growls of Opeth. Mhmm.. How come you haven't killed yourself?

:lol:

and the reason why im "embarrassed" over listening to death metal because of my mom is simply because she is "normal", and will therefore think im crazy etc..

The only thing you should be embarrassed about is the fact that you let other people's reactions dictate your taste in music.

Absolutely mind-boggling behavior.

grovling is something you got to get used to,i dident like it in the start but now im listening to black metal,its still hope

This isn't like skydiving, or something. I don't think you need moral support to help you try and get into Opeth. You don't need people to help you out with this (maybe just the Korn thing, and that may need some professional help). Either listen or don't.

Why do you need ADVICE to get into a certain band, anyway? Other people don't have your ears. All they can say is they like it or don't. And if you come HERE asking, guess what THAT answer will be?:rolleyes:

I think Opeth is one of the greatest bands on the planet. Their music is some of the most intelligent and complex out there, and there's almost no limit to what it has to offer. In fact, everytime I listen to a particular song, I'll find something new. Could be something as subtle as 1 chord I didn't realize the last time I heard that particular song, or it could be a certain emotion or mood. Could be anything, really. In short, their amazing!

So make up your OWN mind. Listen or don't.

I don't have your ears either, because frankly I think Korn is Krap!

I actually came here to get lists of mellow songs that i could enjoy..

I´m not letting my mom or anyone dictate my taste in music, i have said several times that i do not like growling myself.. I don´t even know why i said it makes me embarrassed, but thats just the way it is!

Also, to all you who say i need professional help for letting music affect my mood.. seriously.. IMO, that´s some of the beauty of music, and also some of the reason why i love Korn so much. Their songs have meanings, and therefore they put me in a certain mood, in most case, a depressive mood. When you´re going through a hard phase in life etc, its nice to listen to music about someone feeling the same.. thats why I don´t stop listening to them, like one of you suggested. I think I´ve mentioned this before.. They are like a drug, too much and it fucks you over.

The reason why i listen to bands like COB, on the other hand, is just for pure entertainment. I enjoy the amazing guitar solos, and just the beautifully composed music in general. Anyway, I´m not here to talk about that.

Vega Skater, are you saying that you´ve cut up some of Opeths songs and made an album containing just mellow parts? Now that´s something I´d be interested in hearing!

Why would anyone want cut up songs?:erk:

You lose the whole purpose and effect of the songs. That's like listening to radio edits....:puke:

At first I wasn't a huge fan of the growls, but then I heard the song Blackwater Park, and it was just amazing. It was like the first time I had sex...Except it lasted longer.

They will grow on you. Just give them a chance.

I actually came here to get lists of mellow songs that i could enjoy..

I´m not letting my mom or anyone dictate my taste in music, i have said several times that i do not like growling myself.. I don´t even know why i said it makes me embarrassed, but thats just the way it is!

It's fine to dislike growling. It's also fine for you to like Korn.

But when you say you're embarrassed by death metal, it makes it sound like you have a motive for disliking it other than a purely music one.

You say you're embarrassed but you don't know why. Isn't it fair to say this might interfere with your giving growling a chance?

You don't have to like it. Just don't dismiss it without properly exposing yourself to it.

I just don't get whats so great about growling.. its unnatural and scary as heck. I have tried to like it, but i just simply cant.. maybe i will later, i dont know. as for now ill just settle with screaming, and clean singing.. can you make a list of non-screaming songs for me, please?

I just don't get whats so great about growling.. its unnatural and scary as heck. I have tried to like it, but i just simply cant.. maybe i will later, i dont know. as for now ill just settle with screaming, and clean singing.. can you make a list of non-screaming songs for me, please?
What do you mean when you say it's unnatural?

Well, here's a reason to die for. :loco:

Ive always loved the growls and always will. And to answer your question no they dont get softer, I actually think Mikes vocals get progressivley more brutal every album

Do you dislike distorted guitars, too? It's the exact same principle. Distortion on guitars is "unnatural" too.

I've been wondering what it would be like if all of Opeth's vocals were melodic and sung by, say, RJD or, better yet, David Coverdale. What would the vocal melodies be?