Jazz

does anyone here like DAVE GRUSIN??

the guy's superb, even though he's more inclined to easy-listening and soundtracks, I think he is awesome... and that band, GRP, damn that band was awesome too!! :D

I have a record by Dave Grusin called "Mountain dance" from 1979 and it's pretty cool as far as I recall. I also have the soundtrack to the tv-series "The girl from U.N.C.L.E." where he wrote some of the songs and it's a superb record!!!!!! In my top 5! I had a live record by the GRP stuff once, but it was horrible!! It featured Chick Corea's electric band, Lee Ritenour and some more dudes. It was from '88, so maybe that explains why it was terrible! GRP isn't actually a band as far as I know, it was more a group of people or a record company. They had a record company called GRP, but I don't think there was an actual band called GRP. I think they just recorded toghether, the people on that label, and stuff like that.
When I say jazz, I think traditionel jazz like Oscar Peterson for instance. His song "Wheatland" is amazing! His song "Hymn to freedom" is also a really superb song! The best jazz song I've heard though is Teddy Wilson's version of "'Round midnight"! Absolutely fantastic!!
I mostly like jazz-funk though. I'm not too big a fan of the traditionel stuff, although there's some great stuff in between. I like jazz-funk like Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters", Bob James, Grover Washington Jr., Lonnie Liston-Smith, etc.
John Barry has done some things that were a little jazz-like, but I wouldn't really call his music jazz, but I'm a big, big fan of his!

Originally posted by LordHypnos
charles mingus and chet baker are favs of mine, anyone else like them?

yeah!

mingus create the metal pulsation with his big double bass!

:lol:

anyway i am not too much into guitar oriented jazz!

except the genius of mc laughlin of course!

i recommend john coltrane and ornette coleman!

also eric dolphy...

probably the fastest musician in history!

these are real musician not john petrucci!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

everyone should try musicians like

Bob James
Grover Washington Jr
John Scofield
Charlie Parker!

bebop is my favorite style of jazz , so cool to play!

i dont really like Miles Davis, sure hes damn good but ...i dont know..