Jeff Buckley

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Just bought his one and only album, Grace. Just fucking wow!

This is not something I would normally like at all.

Pure emotion in the vocals. Awesome, awesome guitars. Love the acoustics.

Anyone else have this album?

Every time I see this name I think of Luanne's boyfriend Buckley on King of the Hill.

"Grace sounds like a Led Zeppelin album written by an ambitious folkie with a fondness for lounge jazz."

Not really sure what to think of that.

I am rarely blown away by any non-metal. Grace has really blown my socks off. I need to get his unreleased material CDs.

Sketches... is pretty good as well. He did all the instruments, etc. He died before it was complete. It has that awesome song Nightmares at Sea or something like that which was covered by Katatonia.

I saw that one in the store. I'll go get it tomorrow.

I can definitely see why Katatonia chose to cover a Buckley tune. I think the Kata boys probably listen to Buckley a lot.

Awesome musician. I used to hang out with this one girl years ago when it came out and we would sit, drink wine and listen to "Lover, You Should've Come Over"... staring in each others eyes, very sensual stuff.

I read in a magazine where they asked metal musicians if they could change something in their life what would it be...

Sebastian Bach's awesome answer: " I would throw Jeff Buckley a line." :headbang:

Grace strikes me as an album that aspiring musicians should definitely listen to.

"Last Goodbye" and "Dream Brother" are my favorites. "Hallelujah" is is friggin emotional as hell.

ah, then she probably got the Buckley CD for the song "Hallelujah", which I believe was redone for the Shrek soundtrack.

THere is no denying there is some "gospel" in Buckley's voice, but this is hardly a Christian album.

I see no evidence of Buckley being a Christian. I said there is obviously some "gospel" (as in influence) in his voice, but this is not a Christian album. Like PJ said, it's very sensual. "Lover, You Should've Come Over" and "Last Goodbye" are love (or lost-love) songs.

Either way, does it really matter? Tonight's Decision sucks anyway. heh.

Lyrics for Hallelujah:

I heard there was a secret chord
that David played and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
Well it goes like this :
The fourth, the fifth, the minor fall and the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah

Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah...

Well your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrough ya
She tied you to her kitchen chair
She broke your throne and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Baby I've been here before
I've seen this room and I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew ya
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
But love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

There was a time when you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show that to me do ya
But remember when I moved in you
And the holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Well, maybe there's a God above
But all I've ever learned from love
Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya
It's not a cry that you hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah...

J. said:
I see no evidence of Buckley being a Christian. I said there is obviously some "gospel" (as in influence) in his voice, but this is not a Christian album. Like PJ said, it's very sensual. "Lover, You Should've Come Over" and "Last Goodbye" are love (or lost-love) songs.

Either way, does it really matter? Tonight's Decision sucks anyway. heh.
Haha, well. Hrm. Actually, "Tonight's Decision" was the last truly great Katatonia album, and great it was. I love the cover as well and have been considering investigating Buckley for a while. Maybe later.

I think this is an album that will hit each person differently. I bought it on a whim, after hearing so much praise. The praise was not misdirected. The guitars are godly on the album. There are a few moments where the vocals make me wince, but it's forgivable simply because I can hear the emotion.

Black Winter Day said:
She's had it for like 10 years.
Then she got it about the time it came out, 1994. Your mom is cool.

SOmeone in the know let me know if Radiohead sounds like Buckley. If so, I'm off to get some Radiohead.

Hallelujah is a Leonard Cohen cover.

Grace is another of my all time faves. It is being rereleasd later this month. Remastered, expanded to 2 discs, w/ a bonus DVD