Jeff Loomis Rhythm Tone

I've spot it out(you can clearly see it in the Vid):

The secret of tone is in his hair, you can see his hair is contacting the strings every now and then.

Try it, it'll make THE difference!

I've spot it out(you can clearly see it in the Vid):

The secret of tone is in his hair, you can see his hair is contacting the strings every now and then.

Try it, it'll make THE difference!

That sounds familiar... perhaps this will help.

Nigel Tufnel said:
Wash your hair exactly once a week on Mondays and lay out on big nice fluffy Turkish towel. It’s like playing with a kitten. Treat it like your best friend and you’ll find the harmonics are crystal clear.

Jeff

Now that basically is a paint-by-numbers way of me telling you guys what I'm trying to get help for. Now stop with the "dood you need a tube amps for that tone DUH HUH" and "FIND YOUR OWN TONE BRO DONT COPY LOOMIS FANBOY FAG," because that's not what I'm looking for.

Well that's a striking coincidence dude, cos that's not what anybody's suggesting either :lol: I think you may have paid too much attention to one or two parts of one or two posts there and turned it into a main point.

Basically what people are saying, and I said it before but you obviously missed it, is that there's a huge difference between tone and feel. Anyone can nail anyone's tone with whatever-the-fuck, but the specific nuance in Loomis' tone that you're trying to emulate is absolutely, categorically, undeniably unachievable. It's got fuck all to do with what gear you're using, your chain, or the alignment of the fuckin planets.

And don't try and fob it off via the fact that we're all thick fucks who can't understand what you're trying to achieve, or, like you seem to be hung up on, we're too busy trying to get one-up on you. You're after something that is inherently Jeff. You could walk up to him whilst he was playing, take his guitar off him give him a dirty sanchez, you still wouldn't inherit his nuances.

Like someone else said, if it was something simple you were overlooking like EQ, or equipment, you would have nailed it by now.

Well that's a striking coincidence dude, cos that's not what anybody's suggesting either :lol: I think you may have paid too much attention to one or two parts of one or two posts there and turned it into a main point.

Basically what people are saying, and I said it before but you obviously missed it, is that there's a huge difference between tone and feel. Anyone can nail anyone's tone with whatever-the-fuck, but the specific nuance in Loomis' tone that you're trying to emulate is absolutely, categorically, undeniably unachievable. It's got fuck all to do with what gear you're using, your chain, or the alignment of the fuckin planets.

And don't try and fob it off via the fact that we're all thick fucks who can't understand what you're trying to achieve, or, like you seem to be hung up on, we're too busy trying to get one-up on you. You're after something that is inherently Jeff. You could walk up to him whilst he was playing, take his guitar off him give him a dirty sanchez, you still wouldn't inherit his nuances.

Like someone else said, if it was something simple you were overlooking like EQ, or equipment, you would have nailed it by now.

A big fucking +1 :headbang:

I'd like to chime in as a Loomis sig owner. My playing may have a role in it but I honestly think a lot of Jeff's current sound is in the guitar. Using ENGLs I don't find it hard to achieve a ballpark Loomis sound, although again it could be that my right hand technique happens to be coincidentally similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I ask what you are basing this Ballpark tone on? Is it Nevermores live sound? Considering they haven't done much touring yet on this album and the album was done with quad tracked 5150 .... well you see where I am going with this.

Whoa, bro, sloooooooow down. You're so cool, you tried to do a compound insult on me by calling me an ass AND pointing out my "shitty chain." :rolleyes:

Nothing in my post was even intended as an insult. What I meant by "shitty chain" was that you could run it into ANY CHAIN and it would still have that quintessential Loomis sound. And you ARE embarassing yourself with every reply you post, everybody here is embarassed for you. Post some clips and maybe we can help you out.

Alright, first off, stop speculating. New Nevermore was 6505, PERIOD. Don't argue, because you're wrong. It doesn't matter, AGAIN, because it will still sound like Loomis.

A big part of that percusiveness is string gauge, picking technique, and those EMG707s. That have a twang to 'em sort of like single coils.

Unless you're one of the best guitarists on earth, you're not going to sound like Loomis. Andy said Loomis is by far one of the best players he's worked with. If the OP was in Loomis's shoes, he wouldn't be here posting and asking questions.

If you play the same player through any amp, they're going to sound pretty much the same. Subtle nuances can come out with certain gear, but it really stops there. Mic position and tone stack is going to make a huge difference in the balance of tone, but not as much so the character that is imparted by the player.

Basically, if your tone sucks, you suck. Suck is a pretty nasty word. Okay, good, and great tones are always good-great players matched with great gear. Bad players suck all the time. OP, I'm not saying you suck, but guess what? It's time to post a clip so we can help, which you're fortunate enough people are even willing to do after all the bullshit your whiny ass has polluted this thread with.

Greg, not to be a cock, but Sneap said 5150. I know 6505 / 5150 same amp bla bla bla bla bla bla ..... anyway. There are many conflicting stories so lets just all say some form of fucking Peavey High Gain 51/65 model amp that wasnt an AxeFx or an Engl ....lol

You're not a cock, but did you read what I said? :loco:

Alright, first off, stop speculating. New Nevermore was 6505, PERIOD. Don't argue, because you're wrong.

I spoke to Sneap, not through e-mail, not through message board, not he said she said. Andy said "it was 6505." I don't need to go misquoting him, or spreading lies, especially not after the shit-storm that went on in the Nevermore thread.

tubescreamer + emgs + modern high gain amp + a tight, accurate picking hand

His guitar being a 26.5" scale most definitely gives some extra crunch and brightness to the EMG 707s too... the 707s are fairly warm sounding with a lot of low mids... So, the longer scale thins them out a little and gives them a little extra brightness. The EMG 81-7 might get you closer to that sound on a normal 25.5" guitar.

Well his sig model has always been ash + maple IIRC. I'm not sure what he actually uses in the studio, I know at one point he was using LTD's (H-307 i think?) but that was a few album's ago, and again I'm not sure if that was studio or just live. He has a few sig models, one TOM bridge model which I'm sure he probably uses to track rhythms as hard tails/TOMS have better bite than trem'd models, but that's just arbitrary conjecture, as I have no idea what he used! :lol: Just going by his Schecter sig

Well his sig model has always been ash + maple IIRC. I'm not sure what he actually uses in the studio, I know at one point he was using LTD's (H-307 i think?) but that was a few album's ago, and again I'm not sure if that was studio or just live. He has a few sig models, one TOM bridge model which I'm sure he probably uses to track rhythms as hard tails/TOMS have better bite than trem'd models, but that's just arbitrary conjecture, as I have no idea what he used! :lol: Just going by his Schecter sig

Now that you mention it, I know that he recorded DHIADW with that LTD (andy has confirmed this). After that I believe it was the hellraiser and in the last album his signature model.

Ah cool. Well either way, his sig chain is usually super bright. His new Engl tone he's been rockin lately is super attacky too. Anyone know what he's using live these days? Is it the Fireball 100 now? I saw him demo-ing one at this year's NAMM show.