Just got introduced to Katatonia... Question?

HDWR

Sep 16, 2009
Tallahasse, FL. USA
Hey everyone. I just learned of Katatonia not long ago when NITND came out. I was stunned! TGCD is awesome as well. I'm a big Opeth fan. Mainly the newer stuff. I guess Blackwater Park to present. Also a Dream Theater fan (don't hurt me!) and Symphony X as well.

Anyways, I was wondering if any one had some listening suggestions for me along those lines. I'm an old dude that fell out of metal for a long time and I'm just getting back to it.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Check out recent PORCUPINE TREE albums (The Incident, Fear of a blank Planet, Deadwing, In Absentia) Not exactly metal, but still some heavy stuff going on there too. And if you like some kind of proggy stuff you really can't do wrong by giving PT a try.

On a side note: Steven Wilson (PT singer/songwriter/guitarist/producer) produced the three Opeth albums Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation. He contributed background vocals, piano, ect. to some of the songs on these albums. Also Mikael of Opeth did some guitar playing on PT's Deadwing and growls on the song "Mother and child divided".

I've tried Deadwing and In Absentia. Not exactly my cup of tea. Maybe a little too ambiant for my tastes. There were a couple of B sides I loved. What Kind of Friend Are You and something alse I can't remember the name of? Haven't heard Fear of a Blank Planet or The Incident. Steven "Tighter than a Witches Cleft" is great in the Opeth Damnation/Deliverence video!
Gavin is a phenominal drummer though. I've got one of his drumming vids. He gets so complicated with displacement and counting I can't keep up!
Any thoughts on something a tad heavier but intelligent and not just "Listen to me yell about how pissed off I am all the time!"?

No particular order in metal(sub-)genres, but what I think that's interesting heavy and also melodic stuff:

Daylight Dies
Insomnium
Ghost Brigade
October Tide
Rapture
Paradise Lost
Swallow The Sun
Before The Dawn
Isis

Monokromia sound like Katatonia...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCmiL8oSNLY&feature=related[/ame]

Alley sound like Opeth
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZVEKiKStWg&feature=related[/ame]

The Morningside...Katatonia like also
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADfqBXXdKKA&feature=related[/ame]

Wyrd...also like Katatonia

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to complaining, i might as well come up with a suggestion myself. It MIGHT be a bit of a stretch, but Madder Mortem, maybe? They are certainly dark, heavy, melodic and progressive.

Albums out on Spotify. I think i'll suggest Eight ways as the album to check out first.

Check out recent PORCUPINE TREE albums (The Incident, Fear of a blank Planet, Deadwing, In Absentia) Not exactly metal, but still some heavy stuff going on there too. And if you like some kind of proggy stuff you really can't do wrong by giving PT a try.

On a side note: Steven Wilson (PT singer/songwriter/guitarist/producer) produced the three Opeth albums Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation. He contributed background vocals, piano, ect. to some of the songs on these albums. Also Mikael of Opeth did some guitar playing on PT's Deadwing and growls on the song "Mother and child divided".
Listen to this guy! Older Prog/metal guys love this band too. tbh they are my favorite band at the moment.

^What he said. Also add Pain of Salvation to the mix.

I've tried Deadwing and In Absentia. Not exactly my cup of tea. Maybe a little too ambiant for my tastes. There were a couple of B sides I loved. What Kind of Friend Are You and something alse I can't remember the name of? Haven't heard Fear of a Blank Planet or The Incident. Steven "Tighter than a Witches Cleft" is great in the Opeth Damnation/Deliverence video!
Gavin is a phenominal drummer though. I've got one of his drumming vids. He gets so complicated with displacement and counting I can't keep up!
Any thoughts on something a tad heavier but intelligent and not just "Listen to me yell about how pissed off I am all the time!"?

The great thing about porcupine tree is that their albums vary so much people say they are overrated when quite in fact they are unbelievably underrated.

In my opinion, their absolute best is Lightbulb Sun, then Fear of a Blank planet. In absentia is their middle ground, then it goes downward from there in terms of repeat listenings, because I honestly have no problem listening to any of their albums, just some moreso I like to listen to compared to others.

oh and by the way, "Anesthetize" is one of the most amazing songs ever made, by anyone, ever.

I've tried Deadwing and In Absentia. Not exactly my cup of tea.

In Absentia is the kind of abstract record that takes time to fully digest. Deadwing on the other hand is a lot more accessible, but certainly not among their top albums imo. I say give PT another real shot, and if you still can't dig then honestly I have nothing else to offer you because to me they're just about as brilliant as they come.

oh and by the way, "Anesthetize" is one of the most amazing songs ever made, by anyone, ever.

What this guy said. The mentioned track is one of greatest songs ever created by Porcupine Tree. It's not everyday you find a rare Musical gem like this one, and when I say the word "gem" I mean a track which is really complete under every possible point of view you can think of, such as: song structure (long but never boring and very eclectic, you will know what I mean when you will listen to it. You can hear a lot of musical influences, from Pink Floyd to Meshuggah), overall atmospheric and emotional impact (this is one of the most intense and melancholic songs Porcupine Tree ever composed), deep and cryptic lyrics (lyrics are never dull or banal, there's always a remote meaning behind them. We are talking about Porcupine Tree, so...).

Ok, advertising moment over! :lol: I love this band so much. Another word to describe them? Geniuses.

I'll add to the PT love in this thread.

Also can I suggest Slumber? songs here They're friends with the Katatonia guys. I think Slumber sound kinda like quite epic somewhat doom with not so predominant growls. And they have a newie coming out soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow everyone thanks do such for the suggestions. I'll load up my Pandora with some of this stuff today and give it a spin. Lots of love for PT here. Maybe I'm missing something. Whenever I think about them I hear "Gravity Eyelids" in my head and it makes me want to stab myself in the eyelids with a pencil! Maybe In Absentia has steered me wrong with these guys.

Thanks again everyone. I'll post back what my findings are!