Kamelot - The Black Halo

Hawk

Henri Serton
Staff member
Aug 31, 2001
Eindhoven; Rockcity!
What a fantastic album! I am simply blown away. It has been a very long time since I have liked an album as much I do this one. Everything just fits! It has the huge orchestrations, the time changes, the melodies and and the beautiful ballads-like pieces in the middle or end of the songs. And then there's Dimmu Borgirs Shagrath with a very powerful performance as Mephisto.

This will be a classic in time to come. Don't bore me with Power Metal this and Power Metal that. Metal implies power! So at best the term is tautological and at its worst its a stupid term! Besides, on a certain level this album is quite different from what they did before. There are more hints at a progressive metal sound and there's way more dynamics. Khan has been given lots of space to shine on this album. I never heard him perform better.

In short; this is a classic high quality album. Set aside your pre-conceptions about Kamelot and listen to them as if it was a new band. You'll be amazed!

Click on the banner to see their new video

Indeed! An album truely worth of it's own thread, of all my recently favourite songs at least 5 are from "The Black Halo", including "The Haunting(Somewhere in Time)" and "Moonlight", my best two songs of the year so far.
Great album and a great reccomendation :headbang:

Yep, indeed a great album !!!
It's a good mix of Power and Progmetal, leaning much more towards prog this time, different as their previous albums as Hawk stated... My favorit song is "Moonlight", but there are several very strong songs on this CD. I now and than discover some good old Queensryche-like pieces, but I guess that's all due the fact the vocals are on some (lower)tones pretty close to Geoff Tate, withouth being a copy of them.
Great videoclip btw !! :headbang:

I've found myself lately not listening to albums ahead of time and waiting for them to hit the stores, etc. Kinda like recapturing that magic I used to feel when picking up fresh new albums in stores. Anyways, this is one album I have been holding out on to hear and when I went to my local store today.. none of them had it! Terrible... all the Best Buys and Circuit City had zippo. I have seen the video (KILLER TUNE) and heard the other song on the streaming flash card. I can't wait to hear it all!

MetalAges said:
I've found myself lately not listening to albums ahead of time and waiting for them to hit the stores, etc. Kinda like recapturing that magic I used to feel when picking up fresh new albums in stores. Anyways, this is one album I have been holding out on to hear and when I went to my local store today.. none of them had it! Terrible... all the Best Buys and Circuit City had zippo. I have seen the video (KILLER TUNE) and heard the other song on the streaming flash card. I can't wait to hear it all!

Well, its going to be worth the wait! :) Believe me. :wave:

Hey zeppie and carnut you both *do* know that when you click the banner at the bottom of my post that you will see the video, right? ;)

Hawk said:
What a fantastic album! I am simply blown away. It has been a very long time since I have liked an album as much I do this one. Everything just fits! It has the huge orchestrations, the time changes, the melodies and and the beautiful ballads-like pieces in the middle or end of the songs. And then there's Dimmu Borgirs Shagrath with a very powerful performance as Mephisto.

I have tried soooo manty times to get into this band. They played twice @ ProgPower and Conception (with Khan on vocals) will be playing this year's PP event. I simply can't get into this band. The video is cool, the music is boring and Khan's voice is as well. I wish I could like this band because they seem to be a staple for PP, but they do very little for me.

Bryant

Bryant said:
I have tried soooo manty times to get into this band. They played twice @ ProgPower and Conception (with Khan on vocals) will be playing this year's PP event. I simply can't get into this band. The video is cool, the music is boring and Khan's voice is as well. I wish I could like this band because they seem to be a staple for PP, but they do very little for me.

Bryant

I guess we all have our liked and dislikes. I have a few bands like that. Pain of Salvation is among them.

Sometimes a band rubs you the wrong way and you can not exactly tell why. Annoying ain't it? :)

I have been hearing tons about this album... the only Kamelot album I own is hmmm I think their first or second one... should be interesting to hear how changed the band is... I will also wait to pick it up at the store... I believe it is out by March 22 out here in the USA?

This album sure sounds promising. I certainly liked what I've heard from song samples and the video. I've already got Karma and Epica and enjoy them when I'm in the mood for something speedy. This one sounds more laid back, more mid-tempo and darker in nature. More to my personal taste. And I love Kahn's voice, one of my favorite singers.

Expect I'll buy it soon, once I beat down my wish list a little more. Maybe by then it will be released here in U.S. and the price will be more reasonable.

Walter_Langkowski said:
I'm interested to hear this. I loved "Karma", yet absolutely hated "Epica" (wayyy too much orchestration/interlude BS).

I heard this sounds a bit like Conception at times. Any thoughts on this?

Well Walter. if you hated Epica because of the interludes and the orchestration BS you're gonna hate this one as well. This one has even more, and much better I might add, orchestrations!

Better stay away then :)
Hey we can't all like the same music :headbang:

Hawk you are so right about this album.. I am so hooked on it I can't stop spinning it... and that's a rare thing for me (unless it's Maiden of course :loco: )
Back to business... the music, the time changes, the different flavors (I love the touch of middle eatern type instrumentation among others) it's absolutely perfect! The only downfall for me at least (but it doesn't influence much the way I feel about this CD) is Khan's vox at times sound a bit too "whimpy" know what I mean? I think that he has an outstanding voice, range and tone but just that comes out a bit and I don't like it much... but other from that I don't have anything to complain about... this album will DEFO be in my year's top 5 slot :worship:

I have been reading up on this band and decided to either pick up EPICA or KARMA....would HALO be the better choice for an introduction to the band?? You guys seem pretty high on this record

Pabla said:
Hawk you are so right about this album.. I am so hooked on it I can't stop spinning it... and that's a rare thing for me (unless it's Maiden of course :loco: )

Of course :tickled: Still I am glad to hear you are liking it so much.

Pabla said:
Back to business... the music, the time changes, the different flavors (I love the touch of middle eatern type instrumentation among others) it's absolutely perfect! The only downfall for me at least (but it doesn't influence much the way I feel about this CD) is Khan's vox at times sound a bit too "whimpy" know what I mean?

Indeed I do, but like you it does not bother me that much. I am glad they moved away from the standard galloping speedy songs all the time.

Pabla said:
I think that he has an outstanding voice, range and tone but just that comes out a bit and I don't like it much... but other from that I don't have anything to complain about... this album will DEFO be in my year's top 5 slot :worship:

Same here. I would go as far to say that this album will DEFO be among my 10 favorite metal albums of all time. Thats how much I like it.

Fred B said:
I have been reading up on this band and decided to either pick up EPICA or KARMA....would HALO be the better choice for an introduction to the band?? You guys seem pretty high on this record

It would IMHO. Just work your way backwards through their catalog. You'll notice that the more you work your way backwards the more standard "power-metal" they become. Now if you are into the Euro variant of what is called "power-metal" its does not matter much were you begin. Either way their latest album is a great way to start.

---------
Yea, yea, its getting sunny outhere!! Time to choose a good metal shirt put on my shades and go walking in the sun.

Today I am going to get me the re-mastered version of Nevermore's "Enemies of Reality"!! :headbang:

Fred B said:

THE FOURTH LEGACY has been in my player for most of the last month, That & FLOW by Conception. Khan shines on these CD'S.

Fred B said:
I'd go straight to their BEST... which is HALO ;) Defo a high recommendation... :headbang:

Hawk I totally get how you feel about this album... It has become an obsession to me... I listen to it on my way to work, on my way home, while I am cleaning the house... well you get the idea o_O

It will DEFO become one of my all-time fav albums as well... it's just a thing of beauty :worship:

Pabla said:
Hawk I totally get how you feel about this album... It has become an obsession to me... I listen to it on my way to work, on my way home, while I am cleaning the house... well you get the idea o_O

It will DEFO become one of my all-time fav albums as well... it's just a thing of beauty :worship:

Seems like it got you hooked. Great! That was the purpose of this tread :heh:

Seriously though; great to hear you are liking it so much. :wave: