Katatonia fans' opinions of Opeth's 'Watershed'?

Mantraschism

Skáld
Oct 23, 2002
Augusta, GA (Lost in the Twilight Hall)
I've read ad nauseum about people's thoughts of the new album on the Opeth forum, but I find that people over here tend to be a bit more... level-headed. So what's everyone's thoughts on this new album? I just got it today, and I've been listening to it over and over. It's really growing on me, especially 'Coil'. I'm definitely pleased so far....

I really disliked it at first, aside from a couple parts in Lotus Eater and Heir Apparent. I'm liking it a bit more, but most of the songs have almost no flow and are very abrupt with changes, even more so than Orchid and Morningrise. The outro of Heir Apparent really is the only thing that sounds very Opeth on that record to me. Although seeing it played live last weekend was fun as hell, good headbanger tune. Another thing that bothers me is I feel like the new album is...happier sounding than the others :\. His clean singing is getting a bit over the top as well, just doesn't sound right. His clean voice was great from MAYH to GR, this is a step in the wrong direction I think. I really dislike the trade-off of long screams and slow deep growls for the rapid fire shit on Watershed, not nearly as heavy or emotional. I really haven't listened to it that much because I've never had a hard time to get into an Opeth album, but this one eludes me...and that really dissapoints me.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good album. There are parts that really shine, but overall I'd have to say I'm disappointed. Maybe I will grow to like it though...who knows.

I definitely understand what you mean. I'd say that there were many times during the first listen when I was thinking, 'This is actually kind of annoying.' I too miss the longer screams - 'Karma' is my favorite Opeth song, for God's sake. After a while, though, this album is starting to seep in, even though I wish it had more heavy moments. Ah well man, just give it some more time, I guess. I've accepted that the Opeth that made 'My Arms, Your Hearse' and 'Blackwater Park' will not return, and I think that helps.

I gave it 4 listens today...It's an Opeth record...that's all I can say. I don't see nothing wrong with it, but I don't hear anything that makes me go like :O I still miss Martin's drumming no matter what anyone says, but Axe did a splendid job. Burden though is a nice highlight for me, I like the more depressing songs Opeth put out. The packaging is annoying kinda though. I decided to go with the 2cd one...cds in little promo cardboard things...but the dvd was pretty cool...and the bonus tracks are interesting. I'm annoyed about the lyrics not being there though...and you have to figure out that code thing and buy both versions to figure it out...creative in a way...but I just want to sing along :) And of course the cds are in the same way as the others and that's a plus...I even took a photo of all of them:
l_ed41a7d0f79a645daacbbb148bb4d7af.jpg

And I'm pretty sure you need the Still Life promo to make this happen, I have never seen a regular Still Life version with the logo on top and titles on the bottom.

My 2 centz.

I absolutely fucking love Coil. It is stunning and a perfect intro to the album. I actually think that this album has a lot of balls. I almost feel like Mike has been pissed off for the past few years. I think that this album is very different from anything that they have done before and that is a plus in my opinion. I am listening to it for about the 6th time today, but I still cannot give you a play by play for every track yet. I really like the keys on this album as well. I thought that the keys on Ghost Reveries seemed out of place or contrived at times, but the keys on this album are really done very nicely. I also love the addition of strings and woodwinds. Fantastic parts.

About Mike's vocals, I agree at times that his clean vocals are a bit strange now. I think that they were really odd for me on Ghost Reveries, but for the most part, I like the cleans more on Watershed. I also agree that his death vocals could have a bit more punch, but they are still very good. That is all I can say for right now. I just really like this album, and as I said before, it it is very different from anything that they have ever done before. It gives off a fresh feeling.

Absolute brilliance. I never would have foreseen opeth going in this direction musically. It's something totally new and fresh.
The opeth fan boi in me kinda wanted to hear a Ghost Reveries part 2 because personally I think that album is their opus, but Watershed is fun, evil (in a different kinda way) and luring. Standouts for me are Coil, Heir Apparent, Lotus Eater, and Hessian Peel.

I definitely like this album. It is definitely an Opeth album, but at the same time it has its own sound compared to their other releases. It goes in a more twisted/dark direction than I was expecting it to go toward. Mikes vocals are awesome, once again. I still think Burden and Coil are my two favorite tracks, funny considering they are the least "metal" of all the tracks on the album, but a good track is a good track. There are several parts in this album that give me goosebumps and that is a wicked feeling when music does that. Great album and I hope with more listens I enjoy it more and more than I already do.

I don't know. I must be listening to music wrong or something this year. A lot of you guys like Textures and In Mourning and I really don't like either of those releases. A lot of you also are saying how good the new Opeth is. After probably 10-12 listens, I just don't like it. Something doesn't click for me. I don't like how Axe's drumming fits in, and that is no bash because I think he is a very good drummer. I think that has a lot to do with the album for me. I don't like Coil at all and all I have seen for it is praise. The female vocals, to me, seem out of place (especially for Opeth) and rough. I don't know. If this wasn't Opeth I wouldn't give it the time of day, but I keep going back and hoping that it will grow on me more.

We'll see.

I like some of "The Lotus Eaters" and "Coil" minus the female vocs. Other than that it has the same wrongs that plagued Opeth for a couple of cds now. Forced, inconsistent song structures and too much repetition.

what can i say. i really dig watershed. its leaps and bounds above deliverance and ghost reveries. i just love the whole atmosphere the album has. its been missing since blackwater park. i cant say i dislike any of the tracks. sure its more of a prog rock album then a metal album but its great.

I like it, but I don't love it, it hasn't moved me like other albums have. But then, Opeth should never be judged too quickly, it will take a long time before I'll be able to tell what the album really means to me. Let's see what I'll say at the end of the year.

I like some of "The Lotus Eaters" and "Coil" minus the female vocs. Other than that it has the same wrongs that plagued Opeth for a couple of cds now. Forced, inconsistent song structures and too much repetition.

Spot on...pluss I have to add that Opeth never can escape the fact that their music somehow ends up being boring in the end. It's good and sometimes great, but in the end..I end up with a yawn.
But glad people like it. I've always said that I hoped Opeth would get the appraise the deserve...I guess it comes a bit late, but sure..why not..huzzah!