Learning Swedish?

Svartvintras

New Metal Member
May 3, 2008
I have always been interested in learning Swedish, especially because many of my favorite bands hail from Sweden.

Is there a software/program I could use to learn Swedish, or another way? Moving to Sweden or living there is not an option at the moment.

So is Babelfish.

Babelfish is your friend if you want to learn to put swedish words one after the other without necessarily making a sentence, and even then, sometimes the words aren't actually swedish.

Babelfish is also good for spending hours having it translate absurdly long strings of hardcore insults. Fun for everyone.

I mean learn Swedish so I can speak it fluently, and understand the lyrics to my favorite songs.

I mean learn Swedish so I can speak it fluently

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

go to sweden then, or take some lessons with some swedish mothertongues.

i'm studying swedish by myself and i can assure you i can understand written texts but i cannot speak or understand people who speak.

hi, svartvintras.

on this site you find swedish courses, but also lots of other info:
http://www.kreativpedagogik.se/engelska.htm#english

when you learn for your own, its quite normal that you dont understand the people. but after the first courses, which should be added by children books and online newspaper, are talking books useful and later radio.

and maybe you find a swede living nearby who likes to practice with you.

good luck.

I did try to learn swedish years ago. The hardest part is finding the time to study...swedish is not that difficult

This one is also good. http://tyda.se/

uhhhh thanks!!!!! :D
this is nice, for plural forms and pronunciation.

i have only a pocket dictionary and i cannot find all words, i've searched for a complete swedish-italian dictionary and i was able find only one, but it costs 91 €, a little too much for my finances by now.

No online/computer course will truly help you beyond basic grammar rules and vocabulary. Go to your local community college and see what's up, or try and find a tutor. You've got to spend some money to learn a language...otherwise you just end up sounding retarded.

Even if you spend $50 bucks like I did a year ago and buy one of those all-in-one things, with a workbook, cds, and textbook, it still won't help you very much. You've got to find a native speaker or qualified teacher, someone who knows what sounds 'right' and 'wrong'...I hate to sound like a dick but that's just how it is. I've been taking German for a year in college and can attest to this.

@mental mercury:

of course its possible without a teacher, swedish is not as difficult as german.;) but i prefer books too...
sure, youre far from being perfect, but imo thats no prob. its important to have a solid basis in vocabulary and grammar, the rest comes in sweden.;)
and if you listen to talking books and radio, as i told, youll get the "rights" in your ear, too.
btw, these are advices i took from a professional language teacher.;)

@mental mercury:

of course its possible without a teacher, swedish is not as difficult as german.;) but i prefer books too...
sure, youre far from being perfect, but imo thats no prob. its important to have a solid basis in vocabulary and grammar, the rest comes in sweden.;)
and if you listen to talking books and radio, as i told, youll get the "rights" in your ear, too.
btw, these are advices i took from a professional language teacher.;)

You say that Swedish is easier than German. For you, of course that is true, your native language is Norwegian and that is somewhat close to Swedish, relatively speaking.

The threadstarter, like me, is a native English speaker. Both Swedish and German would be of equal difficulty to learn, as both are nothing like English. So you are biased.

You say that Swedish is easier than German. For you, of course that is true, your native language is Norwegian and that is somewhat close to Swedish, relatively speaking.

The threadstarter, like me, is a native English speaker. Both Swedish and German would be of equal difficulty to learn, as both are nothing like English. So you are biased.

sorry, you couldnt know: im german. but youre right: with german and english are both norwegian and swedish pretty easy.:cool:
but i didnt know that swedish would be as difficult as german to a native english.

German is harder than swedish. Swedish has some similarities with english - some words, some grammar, etx - but german is so much more complicated.

I'm native spanish but I know a little ov english too and swedish has been a lot easier than german, the difference is huge IMO.

The spelling is similar to spanish (ov course, not counting the special letters and some swedish rules for 'sk', 'tj', etx)

I'm trying to learn some basic Norwegian, out of a textbook.

*Written* Norwegian seems to be pretty easy for me, so far - I can now write down my name, where I live, and that I work in an office, not a factory.

However, *spoken* Norwegian is another matter altogether. I have no one to speak with, and listening to it is confusing, what with the tones and all. Fortunately, my goal is to get some reading comprehension, and not necessarily be able to speak with someone.

Now, this reminds me - time to crack out my books again!