Learning Swedish?

I'm trying to learn some basic Norwegian, out of a textbook.

*Written* Norwegian seems to be pretty easy for me, so far - I can now write down my name, where I live, and that I work in an office, not a factory.

However, *spoken* Norwegian is another matter altogether. I have no one to speak with, and listening to it is confusing, what with the tones and all. Fortunately, my goal is to get some reading comprehension, and not necessarily be able to speak with someone.

Now, this reminds me - time to crack out my books again!

i've noticed that for me (i've studied a little bit of swedish) spoken norwegian is easier to understand than spoken swedish, of course i'm speaking of words common in both languages or with a similar sound.
i don't exactly know why, i think that maybe norwegian has a little bit harder and articulated pronunciation. swedish sounds like a liquid and fluid language, where is hard to understand when a word ends and when another one begins.

Best way to learn any language is to spend the requisite money to learn it. You can do something cheaper, for example, pick up a self-learning language program, like Pimsleur. But the best way is to take courses offered by local colleges / community colleges.

Depending on where you live, and what language you want to learn, community college courses are pretty cost-effective. They're also cheap in comparison to paying for language courses at a regular university. The problem is that you want to learn Swedish, so they're are likely fewer CCs that offer it.

If you have money to spend, the fastest way to learn it is to find an immersion program somewhere.

Unless you have a natural talent for learning languages (and most people do not), self-teaching will be slow and uneven. A friend of mine taught herself Farsi, but she also speaks 6-7 other languages. So if you're not a prodigy, and you have the time and money to spend some afternoons or evenings taking language classes, check community colleges, local colleges, and if you're really serious you can probably sign up for some Swedish summer immersion course. I'm sure they have them in Sweden, because nearly every European country has at least a handful of them.

Edit: The Swedish embassy might even offer classes or have info on this if you live in the USA.

Swedish language is really easy for me, hehe! I don't know why :lol: hihihi!

:lol: your mother was a good teacher, eh?

@ qu Appelle:
i think ive posted it already, but here once more: http://pavei.cappelen.no/
here are grammar, vocabulary, but also listening-exercises. the beginning is very easy so you should manage them with basics. the second "book" is called "stein på stein" and there is a third one, but dont remember the name.
its gratis.:Spin:

good luck.

:lol: your mother was a good teacher, eh?

@ qu Appelle:
i think ive posted it already, but here once more: http://pavei.cappelen.no/
here are grammar, vocabulary, but also listening-exercises. the beginning is very easy so you should manage them with basics. the second "book" is called "stein på stein" and there is a third one, but dont remember the name.
its gratis.:Spin:

good luck.

Aw, coolness! Thanks! I'll be able to start a little bit of studying again when my new job starts, and I have a set schedule again.

Ahhhh... KAMELÅSÅ...

No seriously. The reason why people think Danish sounds uglier than Swedish and Norwegian, is because we don't have the same sing-song structure to our pronunciation. It is indeed harsher. I prefer to think of it as more manly. I don't mind Norwegian, but Swedish does sound a bit "fruity" to me. A lot of Danes feel the same way.
We are apparently also the ones who have the largest difficulties understanding our neighbors' languages here in Scandinavia. I think that's also because of the "singing".

Rivfadír;7254925 said:
but Swedish does sound a bit "fruity" to me. "

ahahaahh
this recalls to me a phrase from the film Tenacious D "this place is kind of JUICY" :lol:

I mean learn Swedish so I can speak it fluently, and understand the lyrics to my favorite songs.

It's not so easy. I've been in Umeå for 9 months now and things are coming into focus a lot better. However, there are several things you can do. First, if you've got some money, I'd look into the Rosetta Stone stuff, that'll help. But honestly, get to a university so that you can study abroad. Then, talk every second you get no matter how much of an ass you feel like.

Even then, songs and TV are where you'll understand *last*. But, sit down and translate some of Vintersorg's stuff and you'll see that he's not using 'standard' Swedish, really.

However, there are better benefits to learning Swedish than being able to understand Mr. V. There's also an entire nation of pretty hot chicks here..

:headbang:

Yeah. A good way to explain Vintersongs singing Swedish is that it´s kinda in the same vein as his singing English,much stuff aren´t things you´d use in a normal conversation.

Yeah. A good way to explain Vintersongs singing Swedish is that it´s kinda in the same vein as his singing English,much stuff aren´t things you´d use in a normal conversation.

No, it's really true. His stuff is quite 'odd,' and every time I've asked people about things they've been like "Oh, well that's really old and it means...". That makes it cool and unique, but it's also difficult for foreigners and non-native speakers.

Norwegians are good at imitating Danes:)

well, i think skåningar is better at imitating danes than anyone in scandinavia, actually... and värmlänningar is better at imitating norwegians.. not very strange ;)

anyhow... if someone wants to learn some swedish, and doesn't have the time and money to take one of those courses, add a swede (interested in languages) on msn or something, and let them guide you a bit :)