i think my life at the moment is

• shit

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • ok

Votes: 47 59.5%
  • great

Votes: 20 25.3%

• Total voters
I've got a box of pills (anti-depressants) in my desk drawer. I just don't take em, they make me feel all fucked up and I pass out and sleep all over the place

lurch70 said:
you're welcome :loco:

@ Erik ... I am not shrink, but I think a lot has to do with that you are away at school ... you are naturally in a new environment ... searching ... and the innevitable change of growing up.
yeah anything and anyone i really care about is back in umeå and school is going shit

BUT

you see even the prospect of moving back to umeå or whatever doesn't excite me... not getting a job, not anything... EVERYTHING just completely fails to move me

lurch70 said:
@ Erik ... I am not shrink, but I think a lot has to do with that you are away at school ... you are naturally in a new environment ... searching ... and the innevitable change of growing up.
oh shit. i didnt know that. no wonder. going away to school is really really depressing and frustrating for a lot of people. no matter how smart or well-adjusted. just keep at it. it'll pass (if thats whats wrong)

Conspicuously Absent said:
I've got a box of pills (anti-depressants) in my desk drawer. I just don't take em, they make me feel all fucked up and I pass out and sleep all over the place
jeez. what are they?

dorian gray said:
@ nate: is your illness mental or physical? if you dont mind me asking

Physical. Nothing extreme. They don't know for sure what it is yet. Some form of colitis. Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, etc. I'm going to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN in a couple weeks. They should be a big help. I just wish there was a cure for it. I've lost 40+ pounds in the last 3 or 4 years, and now my liver and kidneys are fucked. I think everything can be corrected to some degree, but I'll have to take stupid medication for the rest of my life. So far no medications are helping yet.

I'm not one of those people that goes looking for sympathy, though. I can't stand those people.

In regards to psychologists and so on. My wife is a THERAPIST, and if you're not looking for medication, a therapist is your best bet.

dorian gray said:
jeez. what are they?
They sound more like ecstasy then anti-depressants. :loco:

My dad used (maybe still is?) on anti-depressants, but I think he's trying to work his way off. I think as a side effect of the drug it takes away his deeper levels of thought. But I personally would never do that shit.

i dont know much about psych meds anymore. they can turn you into a zombie though. my dad is bi-polar and he takes all kinds of meds. he just basically sits there and watches tv, goes to bed, works, comes home and watches tv.

I'd like to say it has never been better. Starting my new job in 3 weeks and I am getting to know a fine lady that is into metal and doesn't frown upon pc or video gaming.

Erik said:
i really don't know the difference..?

There's not much of a difference. Either will do. Therapists are just trained more hands-on. My wife had done 100's of hours of therapy before she even graduated.

Plus, psychologists tend to prescribe meds more frequently. A therapist will definitely refer you on to a psychiatrist, if you need meds, though.

I desperately wanted to get some sort of counseling when I was 20 or so, but I was confused as to who to ask. Plus I was an extreme introvert.

Nate The Great said:
wierd! i was going to guess thats what you had but i thought, "theres no way".
anyway, if thats what you have, its a really hard disease to live with but youll eventually get it sorted out. it takes a long time to find the right combination of meds to get stuff like that under control.

Nate The Great said:
I desperately wanted to get some sort of counseling when I was 20 or so, but I was confused as to who to ask. Plus I was an extreme introvert.
hooray, like me!

well cheers for the info. i will see what i can do but it will mean i need to get off my god damn ass

btw i didn't actually mean for this thread to become ERIK'S EMO WHINING THREAD

Erik said:
no, that's a psychiatrist

You're right. My wife works with a psychologist, and they do almost the exact same thing. The psychologist tends to use a lot more games, graphs, and other funky techniques to help patients solve problems. Either person can help simply through talking and counseling.

Birkenau said:
They actively try to sort out your "problems", a psychologist cures them passively with drugs.

Wrong.

A psychiatrist/psychologist/therapist all do the same thing. Only a licensed psychoPHARMAcologist can actively prescribe medication based on a diagnosis. [/atleastintheUSA]

@Nate: dude, I had no idea man. I'm sorry to hear that (I know you said you weren't looking for sympathy) and I hope that all works out best for you.

a psychiatrist is an MD with a million years of education. a psychologist is also a phD but cannot prescribe medications. my personal choice would be the MD because i am biased and i have personal experience with psychologists. note there is nothing wrong with pyschologists, i was only joking in the above post.