i think my life at the moment is

• shit

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • ok

Votes: 47 59.5%
  • great

Votes: 20 25.3%

• Total voters
I voted shit because at the moment it's shit. Shit job, shit diet, few relatives, no going out. But it's set to become 'ok' again hopefully before 2006's half as i move back to France.

yes, therapists/psychologists are really only there to listen to issues you might try to overcome that sometimes people close to you cannot help you with or simply cannot relate to ... talking to your friends/family could help, but they might not have the answers on how to overcome things in your life that bother you.

it's really as simple as that ...

Erik said:
hooray, like me!

well cheers for the info. i will see what i can do but it will mean i need to get off my god damn ass

btw i didn't actually mean for this thread to become ERIK'S EMO WHINING THREAD

I found that exercise and the band I was in were HUGE helps. Exercise especially. I became pretty much an amateur bodybuilder, so more women started paying attention after a few years, and eventually I started getting lots of sex.:loco:

Finding any organized activity that you enjoy is CRITICAL in college. Introverts have to force themselves to do it. I was majoring in Creative Writing, so I was around quite a few people similar to me in the introvert aspect. Most colleges in the US have about 1,000,000,000 different organizations to join.

Pschotherapists can help you sort out internal problems and collect yourself without resorting to perscribing you mind numbing drugs. I should know, I see one. I never want to take another anti-depressant or mood stabilizer in my life again personally. It feels like your being robbed of your soul in exchange for forcing your mind to put its "happy face" on. The only advice I can offer is to look within yourself for answers. It sounds like you've truly hit a mental wall, and no external factors can really aid you to a degree of feeling truly happier.

talking to your friends/family could help, but they might not have the answers on how to overcome things in your life that bother you.
yeah. i have the sort of family that i cannot talk to about shit like this.

Nate The Great said:
I found that exercise and the band I was in were HUGE helps. Exercise especially. I became pretty much an amateur bodybuilder, so more women started paying attention after a few years, and eventually I started getting lots of sex.:loco:

Finding any organized activity that you enjoy is CRITICAL in college. Introverts have to force themselves to do it. I was majoring in Creative Writing, so I was around quite a few people similar to me in the introvert aspect. Most colleges in the US have about 1,000,000,000 different organizations to join.
going to start exercising by the... 16th! that's when they start selling them gym cards.

post appreciated.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Pschotherapists can help you sort out internal problems and collect yourself without resorting to perscribing you mind numbing drugs. I should know, I see one. I never want to take another anti-depressant or mood stabilizer in my life again personally. It feels like your being robbed of your soul in exchange for forcing your mind to put its "happy face" on. The only advice I can offer is to look within yourself for answers. It sounds like you've truly hit a mental wall, and no external factors can really aid you to a degree of feeling truly happier.

While that may work for people who are "in a funk," if you have a chemical imbalance in the brain, you simply do not have the control or ability to be able to "fix" yourself without the assistance of medication.

Erik: seriously, my best advice is to go talk to someone. There really is 0% shame in doing so, and I guaran-fucking-tee you will one day look back and be thankful you did so.

MadeInNewJersey said:
While that may work for people who are "in a funk," if you have a chemical imbalance in the brain, you simply do not have the control or ability to be able to "fix" yourself without the assistance of medication.

Erik: seriously, my best advice is to go talk to someone. There really is 0% shame in doing so, and I guaran-fucking-tee you will one day look back and be thankful you did so.
cheers.

i don't think this is chemical depression. actually i'm pretty fucking sure it's not... i've never had the clinical form of depression... it's just the general sense of pointlessness and lack of energy to do anything about anything

Erik said:

its not that you "cannot" talk to them, but family sometimes is no help ... no to their fault though ... they probbaly cannot relate or just become worried about you.

BTW ... therapists LISTEN ... but never tell you to DO THIS ... or DO THAT ... they kind of coerce you into making your own decisions ... ones that are good for you.

Erik said:
cheers.

i don't think this is chemical depression. actually i'm pretty fucking sure it's not... i've never had the clinical form of depression... it's just the general sense of pointlessness and lack of energy to do anything about anything

I hear you bud. I'm very much the same way, and tend to "do nothing" when just a kick in my own pants would set things straight.

But I do wish you the best. From what I can gather, you're a strong-minded individual, and those types of people can usually muster the internal strength to move themselves and their lives in the right direction.

Erik said:

Exactly. I'd say a lot of us are just like that. My parents never talked to me about anything too personal (drugs, sex, etc.). So I felt expressing my feelings was out of the question.

I have no idea how things work in Sweden, but if I knew what I know now, I would have definitely gone to a therapist (psychotherapist as Ellesitin put it). It would have helped me; furthermore, it would have benefited all the crap I inadvertantly was heaping on family and friends. I was just a dick at times.

Nate The Great said:
And that's despite being diagnosed with a chronic illness a year ago.

That reminds me of something funny (and true) that I think should cheer people up in this thread. My Dad emails me a couple weeks ago and casually comments on some surgery he had that put him in the hospital for 3 days. He then mentions that it's genetic. But he doesn't tell me what it is!! :lol:

He still hasn't told me. :tickled:

@erik: i've gone through really long periods of feeling and saying the same shit you're describing, and although i'm overall not feeling so depressed atm i totally empathize. i still feel a big disconnect between people/society/the world and myself. recently i've realized i really don't want or need to make those connections at this point in my life...lonely, perhaps, but i prefer to choose relationships that mean something to me.

given the many things in my life i should be thankful for, i feel like my response should be "great". but i just feel "ok", like the lows are way lower than the highs are high. i guess i've kinda learned to understand that despite what you might believe nobody else is "better" at living than you are, everybody has their own struggles. life sucks, but it doesn't have to suck all the time.

No mark, im not simply in a funk, its much more than that. I am not against psychoactive chemicals to alter your brain, I believe simply that you cannot rely on them soley to truly find happiness within yourself. Personally, I dont know Erik really, so obviously I cant make an evaluation on him, and I dont have proper psychiatric training either. Based on what he said though I was just offering my advice. The human mind is so complicated that we cannot even being to fathom all of its possible patterns and what not.

Nate The Great said:
Exactly. I'd say a lot of us are just like that. My parents never talked to me about anything too personal (drugs, sex, etc.). So I felt expressing my feelings was out of the question.

I have no idea how things work in Sweden, but if I knew what I know now, I would have definitely gone to a therapist (psychotherapist as Ellesitin put it). It would have helped me; furthermore, it would have benefited all the crap I inadvertantly was heaping on family and friends. I was just a dick at times.

well put Nate

I have a lot of experience with this as well, both for myself and with my own family (I think some of you know the deal w/ my mother). It's amazing the clarity with which you can begin to see things once you get a chance to unload your thoughts & feelings on a completely non-biased, non-judgemental person. It's awesome, like a load off your shoulders.

once you get a chance to unload your thoughts & feelings on a completely non-biased, non-judgemental person.

this is really the key statement in this thread.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
No mark, im not simply in a funk, its much more than that. I am not against psychoactive chemicals to alter your brain, I believe simply that you cannot rely on them soley to truly find happiness within yourself. Personally, I dont know Erik really, so obviously I cant make an evaluation on him, and I dont have proper psychiatric training either. Based on what he said though I was just offering my advice. The human mind is so complicated that we cannot even being to fathom all of its possible patterns and what not.

No, I know that. I wasn't accusing you of anything, I just wanted to make sure that people knew there is a ginormous difference between depression and clinical depression. Bipolarity is 100% a disease, well-documented now, and cannot simply be corrected with happy thoughts.

Erik said:
cheers.

A rigid structure to your life will be a HUGE benefit.

Get up at :blank: time.
Study at :blank: time.
Eat at :blank: time.
Masturbate at :blank: time.
Exercise at :blank: time.
Etc.

Therapists can also help with this, but that's also something that everybody can and should start ASAP.

I'm not sure where all this time on the internet fits in my schedule. I need to be working on some accounting stuff. That's where being self-employed is both good and bad.:erk:

Nate The Great said:
A rigid structure to your life will be a HUGE benefit.

Get up at :blank: time.
Study at :blank: time.
Eat at :blank: time.
Masturbate at :blank: time.
Exercise at :blank: time.
Etc.

Therapists can also help with this, but that's also something that everybody can and should start ASAP.

I'm not sure where all this time on the internet fits in my schedule. I need to be working on some accounting stuff. That's where being self-employed is both good and bad.:erk:
yes

REALLY

i mean you are really pointing out exactly where my fuckin problems are because i've NEVER planned shit and when i don't plan shit i don't DO them either. the problem is i'm fucking terribly lazy/unmotivaded and i practically need someone to enforce these with violence if it's going to work

but if i could
1) get a god damn psycholo- or therapist
2) start exercising! and
3) get some god damn structure to my life

i would wager things would be shitloads better. problem is i have to DO these things and not just sit on the internet talking about them