• shit

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • ok

Votes: 47 59.5%
  • great

Votes: 20 25.3%

• Total voters
Russell said:
Haha, if given the choice I too choose crazy work over boredom, but boredom hasn't been an issue in my life for over five years. For me it has to be a balance, I guess. I'm used to having a nice amount to do so I have to work between 14 - 16 hours a day, 18 in busy times at uni. But, for example, recently with my dissertation, I was seriously wondering how I could posibly fit everything I needed to get done in, and after more than a week of that it really bugs me. I start procrastinating, and feeling just as Erik described. Once the end is in sight I tend to work better again.

I've only really noticed this over the three months that I've been doing my dissertation while juggling with UM and magazine stuff, as it felt like more and more stuff was being piled on me and I couldn't clear it all. I've got a feeling, however, that the older I get and the more responsibilities I have the more that will happen, and when it does I'm either going to have to drop some stuff, or learn to work around it. Any advice would be welcome ;) Haha

for me it helps to write things down when things get out of hand ... point by point ... and then go through the list and prioritize ...

actually writing things down helps a lot in all aspects of life.

I did this [start laughing] Anthony Robbins 30 day program some 5-6 years ago, and there was a workbook along with it. Revisiting it sometimes, it shows how much I have accomplished over the years ... be it small things or larger scale ones.

when I write stuff down, it kind of digs itself into my subconcious and my mind kind of steers me in that directions ... it might take time ... sometimes years, but one day .. damn, did I just do that?

lurch70 said:
I welcome crazy work and stress

See, it's a tricky point. I know I feel good when theres a lot to do and to organize, because it kinda makes me feel "in control" and useful. But for the life of me, I'd do anything to delay any demanding and time-consuming project as long as it goes.

Just like when I was in school, I would do all my homework at the last minute in very unpleasant stress conditions and with hopeless results, but the few times when I would actually sit down and do it on time, I'd derive pleasure and satisfaction out of it.

A good kick in the ass solves many things, I suppose.

ok .. just pulled the little book out ... and this kind of stuck with me

The 6 human needs you must meet consistently to be fulfilled are the following: (and some of these are opposites oddly enough)

- certainty/comfort
- significance .... JK reminded me of this with
but damn, if I'm busy then it just makes me feel like I'm wanted / needed.
- growth
- uncertainty/variety
- connection/love
- contribution

Tony Robbins, lot of people think he is some bogus preacher ... but really all his stuff is common sense daily advice.

kinda like dave ramsey. real obvious common sense advice disguised as financial genius. i love listening to the people who call into his show.

dorian gray said:
kinda like dave ramsey. real obvious common sense advice disguised as financial genius. i love listening to the people who call into his show.

yeah well ... when you feel in the ruts, even simple things are hard to grasp ... later on it becomes common sense

lurch70 said:
for me it helps to write things down when things get out of hand ... point by point ... and then go through the list and prioritize ...

actually writing things down helps a lot in all aspects of life.

I did this [start laughing] Anthony Robbins 30 day program some 5-6 years ago, and there was a workbook along with it. Revisiting it sometimes, it shows how much I have accomplished over the years ... be it small things or larger scale ones.

when I write stuff down, it kind of digs itself into my subconcious and my mind kind of steers me in that directions ... it might take time ... sometimes years, but one day .. damn, did I just do that?

That I do, list everything and then plan it out in terms of times I will do it. It's the actually following that plan/list which can cause problems in my experience tho.

I definitely get that one day looking back thing as well. It's cool, when you remember what you set out to do, and if you've surpassed that, or even just achieved it in many cases, it feels great. :cool:

My life has been much better this month. Been spending alot of alone time, whereas before I'd be out shooting the shit w/ amigos every week. I'm an entirely different person alone (the person I'm actually comfortable being). Whenever I'm in a social situation I'm much more light hearted and tend to crack jokes just for the sake of cracking them. Alone I'm a serious prude. And this mentality helps me see things in perspective and provide me with motivation to better myself. Which is much more productive than waking up at 1pm on a Saturday with a hang over.

@ Erik, everyone feels the way you feel. You just got to look at the light at the end of the tunnel and see the brighter side of things. Set up some goals for yourself. Everytime I have felt emptiness has been when there was no goal or obstacle to accomplish. It just seems that some sort of conflict needs to be in place for me to have a purpose. Without It I feel empty. Living for the sake of living isn't enough. But fuck mate you got some good things going for ye. Good musician, in school, live in a cool country, got some swedish pussy within recent memory. You just sound like you need a release. Something that will put you at ease. Now all you have to do is find it.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Having watched my mother deal with it for 10 years now, I too would rather have a chronic physical illness. It's heart-wrenching.

And not to nitpick, but bipolar & manic depressive are one & the same. Before they truly knew what bipolar was, it was called manic depressive. :cool:

Basically yes, my typo. Manic and depressive just describe the two extreme states of the condition. I dont discuss my personal life much, but ehn, fuck it.

I've been dealing with mild to moderate bi-polar conditions for about 5 years now. Some days are fine, I get through everything normally and feel pretty calm and content. Some days I feel like a truck driver on meth trying to outrun a Ferrari (could be a good thing or a bad thing really). Anyway, blah, blah, insert more emo shit here. Sometimes it simply feels frustrating, other times it feels like suffocation. For now, I go back to work listening to Blind Guardian and counting the minutes till 5 when I get to go home, see the girlfriend, and smoke a damn joint.

- certainty/comfort

sort of

- significance

you tell me... probably no

- growth

maybe

- uncertainty/variety

does walking 5 miles and peeing on the chancellor's house count?

- connection/love

not even close

- contribution

does this reply count?

Looks like I'm a no-go on most of these. That said, I think my life is pretty fuckin ace at the moment.

these things do not have to be taken on a large scale ... for example

- certainty/comfort

sort of

this could be as simple as knowing that when you come home from work, you can turn on the TV and watch your favorite show tonight ... you can look forward to this with certainty

- uncertainty/variety

does walking 5 miles and peeing on the chancellor's house count?

and yes, this counts for that ...

lurch70 said:
this could be as simple as knowing that when you come home from work, you can turn on the TV and watch your favorite show tonight ... you can look forward to this with certainty

Or like knowing phun.org will do their Saturday babes posting?

I get it.

-certainty/comfort
none right now.

- growth
not that i'm aware of

- uncertainty/variety
once in the while on weekends, otherwise it's same shit different day
- connection/love
yeah, i think got this

- contribution
does posting here count?

Erik! You need some challenges and goals in your life - which are not about getting comfortable with money and posessions - but a sense of purpose. It is in fact the hardship and struggle in life that is more an affirmation of living than a cosy existence ever could be. (Controversial or what?!)
Nietzsche says "What does not kill me makes me stronger", and "build your house on the edge of Vesuvius", as long as you don't do any self-destructive risk taking like drug abuse.
Another view of this is, I read in the Times this week, about how nearly everyone has a "vain brain", which tells them they are better than they really are. This is nature's protection against depression. The most depressed people are the ones who are most self-critical. Being deluded about how fabulous they are is something depressed people need to try and cultivate - if that's possible.

this could be true to some degree ... but also a lot of famous/brilliant people get depressed for the same reasons ... alwyas believing that no matter what they do or how much greatness they have achived ... it is just never good enough.

What's wrong with just changing the scenery?

I mean, if you've got zero responsibility for anything (no debt, no mortgage, no kids, no wife, no job), why not just hit the road? Pack bags, move to Australia, and take a year out in life, etc etc.

Isn't Dark One thinking about moving to Florida? Or NAD's got a plan to move to Canada?

Wow, can't believe I've been living in the US for 8 years now. I thought I'd only be here for 2.

That's because they are brooding on their problems too much (famous people who get depressed). It can be down to their relationship with their parents, if they felt as a child that they could never get approval. (I have a psychology degree - for what its worth).

JayKeeley said:
What's wrong with just changing the scenery?

I mean, if you've got zero responsibility for anything (no debt, no mortgage, no kids, no wife, no job), why not just hit the road? Pack bags, move to Australia, and take a year out in life, etc etc.

Isn't Dark One thinking about moving to Florida? Or NAD's got a plan to move to Canada?

Wow, can't believe I've been living in the US for 8 years now. I thought I'd only be here for 2.

This is exactly why I moved to California. I actually didn't plan on coming back to Kansas, but when I got out there I started to realize I didn't want the corporate life . . . although I could definitely live with the beaches, sun, etc.

The whole thing just turned my life in the right direction. Best thing I ever did.

If you're depressed, move to California. Then you'll realize how good you actually have it.:loco:

I'm getting some, finally getting off my ass to make something of my life albeit futile in the grand scheme of things, and I've finally came to terms with the fact that I have to involve myself in society to make myself happy. So I'd say I'm doing pretty damn good. I think it's partly because I'm developing both intellectually and socially right now moreso than I ever have before (in the past I've been very socially crippled because of social anxiety disorder.) Then again, I would think that this is the age for such, no? Being this age (18) is pretty fucking gay for the most part, but I think at this juncture is when people make or break their lives and trying to better myself in positive and healthy ways is really proving to be satisfying.