Long hair and getting jobs

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
Those of you who have/had long hair, how has it affected your ability to get jobs? I'm applying for lots of graduate jobs, and am kinda worried that my hair (which is rather long) will turn off employers. What do you reckon? Companies probably want clean-cut looking people, which I'm not!

Here comes the voice of experience!

Back in the day when I had finished uni, my hair was halfway down my back, and I was looking for graduate jobs. I went to many interviews, and always had it clean, and always had it tied back neatly (so I looked like an IT geek). I didn't get any jobs.

Then one day I went to an interview. I still had my long hair. At the end of the interview, the interviewer said "You don't have this job, and I think that if you're ever going to find a job you should get your hair cut. First impressions cound for a lot, and long hair doesn't leave a good first impression". (These may not have been the exact words, but he didn't mince any words, and definately said "get a haircut").

So I got a haircut, and got the very next job I applied for, and was offered another one about an hour after I accepted it as well.

Basically, it's a tight market out there at the moment, and if getting a job is a priority (and from the sounds of things in other threads, it may well be), you are not going to do yourself a disservice by getting it cut.

And anyway, once you entrench yourself in the job and show them how good you are, you can always grow it back.

Oh dear, how short does short need to be? I'd wanna grow it back if I cut it, and cutting it long, so to speak, would give a bit of a head start in that regard.

*Rob wipes away the tears as he types....*

What's that song by the Five Man Electrical Band?

"So I tucked my hair up under my hat, and I went in to ask him why/ He said you look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you do/So I took off my hat and said imagine that/Me workin' for you!"

Given my complete lack of experience in the workplace, I'm not in the habit of applying for jobs. I can tell you, though, that the more a potential employee deviates from the unspoken office norm (whether they have long hair or, in my case, a minor disability), the less likely they are to get the job. It should be based on whether or not you're qualified, not how well you fit a stereotype :mad:.
Good luck anyway...

W

I got a job with long hair. I tied it back, and smoothed out the frizzy parts with some gel. And I look sexy.

But I only work at a Coles Supermarket.

Winmar said:
Oh dear, how short does short need to be? I'd wanna grow it back if I cut it, and cutting it long, so to speak, would give a bit of a head start in that regard.

*Rob wipes away the tears as he types....*

My short was a pair of number 3 clippers. As long as you're socially acceptable you should be good. You could probably get away with one of those "floppy" haircuts, if you've got the right type of hair. My hair obeys no known laws, so if it's not short, it's not tidy.

That doesnt stop people going "you have long hair I wont take this person". As phloggy said first impressions really do count for alot. Sad but true.

Im gonna have to cut my hair as well. :ill: It really sucks but what can you do. You can always grow it back.

:erk:

They can't do it legally, but how are you gonna pin it on them anyway? They can always give some other reason why they didn't hire you, unfortunately. :(

I'm with Wrathy, it should come down to how well you do the job, not whether you fit their mould.

Yeah I might wait for a knockback or two first, and get some feedback from them. If they say my hair was a factor, then perhaps I'd give it the chop. Then shoot them all.

I've applied for jobs at banks, other companies and government departments. I reckon they'd all be pretty straight at those places. Hmmmmmm.....

A couple of my mates got programming jobs with long hair.....one's at HP and another's at a smaller company near the city. Ah I dunno....

If they knock you back, ask them flat out if it had anything to do with your long hair (even say you won't sue them if it's so;)) just so you know. And if it IS because of your long hair, then you know whether cutting it is worth it or not.