Long hair and getting jobs

Braid your hair and put on a dress, then when they try to knock you back say they discriminated against your clothing choice, that way when your laywer calls theirs you can bargain them down to keeping the hair and not wearing a dress. In the interests of being fair to them of course :)

Winmar said:
I've applied for jobs at banks, other companies and government departments. I reckon they'd all be pretty straight at those places. Hmmmmmm.....

Banks and governements. You could not pick two more conservative industries if you tried. If you're serious about getting into either of these two, then yes, you need a haircut, no more questions. Quite a number of my friends work for banks, or have worked for banks, and if you can find a straighter-laced place to work, well, you're not going to get a job there with long hair either.

Good point......aagh this is all a bitch. Why can't I just be me, and do a job as well?!

I tried that once when I joined a footy club, but just got beaten up, Spawny. I can't think why.

Hmmm I guess I'll wait and see if I actually make it past the assessment centre stage to the interviews first. If I get that far I'll have to seriously think about it.

However, if my wife doesn't get her visa here I'll be leaving these shores permanently anyway, so it won't matter for a while!

I worked in correctional services for 6 months with hair down to my arse and never got any shit or doubt about my possition for it.

Got a job as Co-Boss of a youth drop in center with that hair. Worked at a homeless youth center with it.

I had it tied back all of the time. It was neat, clean. I never had any problems.

I say keep it. See how it goes. Im growing my hair long again now...had it short and then shaved for about 2 years just for a bit of a change.

Im finishing my social work degree this year (hopefully) so ill be back out trying to get jobs again. With hair growing back.

The only time I ever cut my hair was for a girl back in 1987 or so... Biggest mistake I ever made!

You have to weigh up how important everything is to you.. to me, my hair is important to who I am but if actually eating and paying bills, etc. is an issue, it's something you really have to consider...!

Tell them to nick off, Icarus!

Sounds like you've got it all sorted out, Salty! Yeah I'll see how I go......I dunno what'll happen. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong jobs. :)

Yeah I know what you mean, LT. Having long hair is a big part of whom I am too. I first had it in 1994, cut it in '95, grew it then cut it again in April '97, and have had it long since then. I guess I'd have to say that my potential career is a tad more important than my locks, but I'd like to have both......

Never listen to what girlfriends tell you to do with your hair! :)

I've only had 2 interviews (well, for proper jobs (IT stuff), not supermarket crap), and I've raised the issue at both the interviews, saying that it they were uneasy sending me to clients I'd be willing to cut my hair. The first guy was like 'no way, you don't have to cut your hair', and the second guy hired me :D

Sounds like a good way to go about it!

How come IT people seem to get away with having long hair more than those in other professions??

I wouldn't cut my hair for a girl! If my long hair was the reason she didn't like me, I'd say fuck off 'n find someone else who has short hair, I don't want her!

That's the spirit, Trent! If she doesn't like you for who you are, she ain't worth it.

Do they let you wear your Dungeon t-shirt over your uniform, Brian? If not, why not? :)

This thread has generated more replies than I'd expected. Cool. :)

Do you have the one with the crucified skeleton, Spawn? That's a cool shirt, even if I don't like the band :).

If my hair would only grow *straight* like a normal person's, it'd be much longer than it is now. I just got a new pair of glasses that (on purpose) make me look like Giles from Buffy, and I'm thinking of completing the ensemble with an Obi-Wan from Episode II type haircut. Nerds 'r us!

W

Nope its the one that says "God Hates Us All" in yellow letters across the back and a red pentagram over a church scene on the front with Slayer across it. Metal :D :)