Long hair and getting jobs

Well I'm the reverse... I got my job (in an office) with a shaved head and 6 inch goatee.

The chick I went through at the recruitment agency kept telling me I wouldn't get any jobs with my facial hair, that I have to shave it of. I refused, and got the very first job that I applied for!

It's not always important what you look like, as long as you are clean and do the work. In other words, it's LUCK! :)

Wrathchild said:
It grows down the nape of my neck and then starts curling up or sticking out every which way it can :mad:. I'd put something on it to flatten it out, but then it just gets greasy.

W

pretty much everybody's hair does that...but once its past the shoulders the flicking out doesnt seem so obvious and when its half way down your back you wont notice it at all or if you cant be bothered waiting, you could always blow dry your hair!
wink.gif

I did mechanical engineering at uni so the jobs Im going for are graduate engineers. Shirt and tie stuff. Long hair unfortunatly is not such a great look for interviews ;)

Comes right before a gig where I should have been headbanging crazily too as well! I have such bad luck :)

What's the application process for those jobs? For mine I did an online application, then you do online tests, then go to an assessment centre, then have an interview, if you get that far.......

You should have got them to delay the interview until after the gig. Or move the gig forward.

Most of the time you reply to the job ad, then if they want to interview you they phone you back etc.

I went for a pre interview thing a few weeks ago with long hair and never got the call back. The guy mentioned about when he was looking for work when he was younger said something about my hair, then said he had some weird haircut, but then he got it cut and that was it. Bit of a hint that was I suppose.

Ahh its alright about the gig. Im still kinda in mourning, but I will get over it eventually. It will be back in a few years, after I get a job, which hopefully will be soon :)

So you guys who had long hair then cut it, how did you feel afterwards? Happy/pissed off? It must have seemed really weird.

First I felt anxious, then scared, then tired, then I felt a bit angry, then bored so I watched some TV, then I was hungry, and then after that I was tired again.

The day I lost my mullet... just too sad for words. :cry:

Don't like to resurrect my own thread, cos doing that's a bit gay, but at least it's relevant.......

I went to an information session for ANZ this morning, because I got through to the interview stage. I asked a few people if having long hair would make a difference, and they said it wouldn't. Said it should just come down to how good they think I am....just have to tie it back and keep tidy etc. Also said that there are others with long hair, nose rings etc there. So I guess I might not chop it for now. Will ask the interviewer what he thinks. I can't see myself getting a job there anyway. Time will tell! :)

Good idea - it can only help, and I might actually get to keep my hair if I do it this way.