Loudwire's top 10 death metal band list.

Blessed are the Sick is pretty overrated tbh. I came upon one of the songs from it on shuffle (I like to play a guessing game since I've downloaded a lot of stuff I've forgotten about) and literally thought it was a Kreator song. It's far from the massive breakthrough it's heralded as, and the Burns production is shit.

(And just to make it clear, it's not like that was my first time hearing a song from the album or anything.)

The more of their stuff i ended up listening to, the more i ended up liking them .... for years, Tomb of the Mutilated was the only album of theirs that i owned or even listened to, and at the time i just could not listen to that album. To this day i dont really care for it too much.... barely cracks my top 5 for them.

I always looked at their first two records as nothing more than sloppy ass death metal, but they really grew on me, especially Butchered at Birth ... and i was late to check out The Bleeding, which ended up not only being a fucking monster of an album, but also my faovrite of theirs. Plus, i really like their last few albums.

Also, the older i got, the more i started to appreciate the bass guitar.

The more of their stuff i ended up listening to, the more i ended up liking them .... for years, Tomb of the Mutilated was the only album of theirs that i owned or even listened to, and at the time i just could not listen to that album. To this day i dont really care for it too much.... barely cracks my top 5 for them.

I always looked at their first two records as nothing more than sloppy ass death metal, but they really grew on me, especially Butchered at Birth ... and i was late to check out The Bleeding, which ended up not only being a fucking monster of an album, but also my faovrite of theirs. Plus, i really like their last few albums.

Also, the older i got, the more i started to appreciate the bass guitar.

Yeah I got to give Webster some credit, he's freaking sick. And I've always liked Cannibal Corpse. I prefer their earlier work but I would still say George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher > Chris Barnes.

Death are a great band and they deserve to be on the list but #1 is a little bit overrated.

Disagree, out of the bands in that list, I would say they are the best suited to hold the #1 spot. Solid discography and also the most influential/notable of the bands.

It's a hard call picking number 1. Bands like Morbid Angel, Incantation, Immolation etc all have some fucking gangster albums, but then bands like Bolt Thrower, Death etc are more consistent.

I have no problem with Death being #1. I cant imagine them being anyhwere else on a "top death metal bands list". And come to think of it, Vader being somewhere at the end of that list isnt really that out of line.

Death and Morbid Angel are probably the two greatest/most important death metal bands of all time ... that being said, i have the bands on the list ranked as follows...
1. Death
2. Gorguts
3. Morbid Angel
4. Suffocation
5. Autopsy
6. Carcass
7. Immolation
8. Cannibal Corpse
9. Bolt Thrower
10. Vader

It's weird Napalm Death not being on that list. Not all their albums are my cup of tea, but they're pretty damn influential.

Maybe because they're not so much of a Death Metal band.. More Grindcore & Hardcore.

A lot of your early grindcore fell into the death metal family. Napalm death, Carcass, and Terrorizer all had large amounts of death metal in their sound. Listen to S.O.Bs album don't be swindle for grindcore without death metal.

A lot of your early grindcore fell into the death metal family. Napalm death, Carcass, and Terrorizer all had large amounts of death metal in their sound. Listen to S.O.Bs album don't be swindle for grindcore without death metal.

Yes I can hear the Death Metal in Carcass but sorry I can't in Napalm Death. I like them but I can't hear it.

Haven't heard it. Order of the Leech, Utilitarian, Time Waits For No Slave and Leaders Not Followers is what I've heard from them.

I listened to the early Napalm death like the first three albums. Harmony corruption is pure death metal. You do know this band has changed line UPS like crazy right?

p.S. Will be off until the 6th.

I'm probably viewing it wrong but I see Grindcore, Gore and Grind as subgroups under the big Death Metal genre.