Martin Axenrot

When I saw them on Gigantour, Axe had the double bass passages for Ghost of Perdition and The Leper Affinity down pretty well.

Illidan said:
Martin > Martin

To me, Axe seems like more of a technical drummer than Lopez. I didn't feel much of a difference between when I saw them with Lopez and when I saw them with Axe, except for maybe the transitions.

Uhhh..... I have to disagree. Lopez's technicality, emotion, and presence behind the drum kit is truely remarkable. Axe is also a very good drummer, but he comes from a different background and plays a different style (of metal).
Martin Lopez will always be one of my favorite drummers ever and I wish he didn't leave Opeth, however, Axe is a great replacement with lots of potential.

i try look at it this way... if Lopez had to be replaced (sadly!) then i would have wanted no other, other than Axe. He's not the best drummer, but he works good with Opeth... still in shock lopez left

I didn't like Axenrot's drumming at Wacken at all - remember that part in "Deliverance" when it's just about to go to the main riff? He did get the rhythm right, but completely missed the dynamics. It seriously ruined the song... at least that part ;)

Lopez came from Amon Amarth so there's similarities between him and Axe. Lopez wasn't that good when he first joined Opeth. Akerfeldt said they had trouble with him not being able to hit the softer groove parts, but look what he turned into. Give Axe a bit of time and he'll rock our socks off I reckon.

I listen to Opeth since 10 years and when I saw Opeth last time with Axe I was very dissapointed. Maybe he is a nice and charismatic guy (I never talked to him, so I don't know) but the living energy was gone. Axe is a good drummer and plays his parts well and tight, but for me fact is, that he doesn't fit into Opeth. He is more the "evil kind of energy drummer" who beats the shit out of his drums but Lopez had this cosmic energy which made the band complete. It's not only about the technical skills of a drummer but more important is the unseen magic and breath one puts into the music. Opeth lived from that magic which is now incomplete in my eyes. There is a part that is missed and the energy can't flow at all. I miss the spirituality the band had before. Now for me it feels like they will have a session drummer for the next years.

Epilogue said:
I listen to Opeth since 10 years and when I saw Opeth last time with Axe I was very dissapointed. Maybe he is a nice and charismatic guy (I never talked to him, so I don't know) but the living energy was gone. Axe is a good drummer and plays his parts well and tight, but for me fact is, that he doesn't fit into Opeth. He is more the "evil kind of energy drummer" who beats the shit out of his drums but Lopez had this cosmic energy which made the band complete. It's not only about the technical skills of a drummer but more important is the unseen magic and breath one puts into the music. Opeth lived from that magic which is now incomplete in my eyes. There is a part that is missed and the energy can't flow at all. I miss the spirituality the band had before. Now for me it feels like they will have a session drummer for the next years.

well said mate!

Yes, thank you, but it's not like I don't like Axe, he is a good guy and I don't want to read any messages from fanboys offending me and telling that I don't wish Opeth only the best. It's just my opinion and feelings as an old fan. And it's not like I don't want any progression in music, of course bands and their music change but it's legitimate to like old stuff more than the new, without that any fanboys come and tell one that I am against progress, for I am not. It's just about good and bad times (or good and bad albums). For me!!! Opeth are not on the high peak anymore. Perhaps it will change again, but for now I miss the MAYH and Still Life times where magic flew and the music was more mysterious (I guess on Ghost Reveries Lopez didn't feel comfortable anymore. I think this album is a little bit boring. I perhaps wished more progression. It's Opeth like usual only with more math and less feelings. No supreme singing like on MAYH and no universal melodies like on Still Life). I miss Mendez but perhaps they will get their magic back in the future with Axe. It's always up to everyone himself and a matter of taste.

Saw them earlier in the year with Axenrot, and about 75% of the beats seemed spot on. Most of the rest seemed to be played at a different tempo rather than being 'wrong'.

I'm sure we'd all love Lopez to still be in the band, but it ain't gunna happen.

Axenrot has big shoes to fill, and from what I saw about 6 months ago, he did a great job. I'm sure he's only gotten better with it since. I'll save judgement til he goes into the studio and we can see his writing abilities with the band.

Epilogue said:

Well at least you have 6 records and a live DVD to continue to enjoy. I'll tell Mike you said "Goodbye" the next time I see him.

Reactions: biggsy
I was at his 2nd or 3rd ever gig with opeth and the only thing i really noticed was when and bwp being pretty slow and a couple of fluff ups. But fluff ups are what makes it a live gig anyway, makes you know your at a live gig and your heroes are right in front of you playing rather than just listening to the cd. And the slowness is forgivable as hed probably only just learnt the songs.