Martin Axenrot

I love how many people have preceded their judgments on Axe with "I've never heard him before." It's just absolutely ridiculous. Ive seen them with Axe a couple of times and he improved each time I saw them. I actually liked his touches during Closure more than Lopez'. You people have the frontman of the band thats been on tour with Axe for months telling you how great he is and you're still being skeptical about it. Axe hasnt even gotten a chance to record yet! I don't recall people breaking down the fences and cheering when Lopez was brought into the band. Know why? Because you didnt know anything about the fucking guy. Give Axe a chance to play on record, then you can judge the guy.

BurningSky said:
I love how many people have preceded their judgments on Axe with "I've never heard him before." It's just absolutely ridiculous. Ive seen them with Axe a couple of times and he improved each time I saw them. I actually liked his touches during Closure more than Lopez'. You people have the frontman of the band thats been on tour with Axe for months telling you how great he is and you're still being skeptical about it. Axe hasnt even gotten a chance to record yet! I don't recall people breaking down the fences and cheering when Lopez was brought into the band. Know why? Because you didnt know anything about the fucking guy. Give Axe a chance to play on record, then you can judge the guy.

Agreed. Who is creatively in control of Opeth, some hapless forum twats or Mikael? If he rates Axenrot then that really is the end of the discussion - not only because it's his decision but because he probably has more of a clue than you. I suppose some of you bozos have edits to Opeth lyrics that you'd like to see changed as well...?

Heckelgruber said:
Agreed. Who is creatively in control of Opeth, some hapless forum twats or Mikael? If he rates Axenrot then that really is the end of the discussion - not only because it's his decision but because he probably has more of a clue than you. I suppose some of you bozos have edits to Opeth lyrics that you'd like to see changed as well...?

LOL, shut up Rick, you snotty girl!

Before I get flamed, sorry, I have no idea how many bands use click tracks, but there's certainly quite a few in metal so I take it it's even more common in pop and whatnot. Now, I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with using that. I just find it a bit boring. I like the fact that some nights there will be some extra fire added to the songs and some nights it will be worse. I don't know, it sounds stupid but it adds excitement.

Reading my previous post it sounded as click tracks was something bad. That wasn't my point at all...

Just clearing that up.
Cheers
Mike

haha. avoiding the "Opeth's Mikael Åkerfeldt says bands that use click tracks suck" blabbermouth headline are we?

nah, i think that some people need to learn to "unterstand what they are reading", i think that Mike has used so many post explaining what's so easy to understand, but those people just don't seem to get it...

Axe and Lopez are different drummers (duh), therefore their sound is different, and their approach toward song are, logically, not the same... the "best/worse" thing is so relative... ppl should learn to express their feeling with "this or that appeals more to me" than "this is better than that" ...

I really enjoy Lopez drumming, i think that he's one (if not THE) of the most talented drummers out there nowdays, i'm really sorry that he left Opeth, but i have to move on... and on the other hand i'm really eager to hear how Axe approaches to the Opeth sound on their new album, and how Mike uses Axe's skills to bring even more variety into Opeth's music.

hey Mike: i'd love to hear a new Opeth's song with some killer blast beat, cause i know that that's a high point in Axe's drumming skills... i really hope that you can consider my request... :)

regards.

Emilio

:headbang:

I hope Axe brings some blasts on the next Opeth LP. Or maybe it just wouldn't fit. I'm not sure.

Using clicks live is ok when you're playing to samples and stuff so everything is synched, but if it's just regular band with instruments, then just plug in and play man.

I thought Axe was really good last time I saw him with Opeth. The first time he was a little off in some places, like drum rolls and some double bass stuff, but that was right in the beginning when he joined.

I'm sure he'll fit in great, and bring his personal style, and it'll make Opeth a better band in the long run. (Hopefully)

"haha. avoiding the "Opeth's Mikael Åkerfeldt says bands that use click tracks suck" blabbermouth headline are we?"

Guilty! Indeed, but I'm tired of people hating me because of some stupid shit I say...even though I don't personally think I say stupid shit in comparison to the Blabber folks....
M

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
Well, you must use your head a little. Just because your experience was a certain way doesn't neccesary mean that's the facts.

Axe is together with Hoglan more solid in terms of keeping the beat than Lopez was. Lopez had a tendency of playing extremely fast as well as extremely slow...in the same song. All drummers vary the pace a little and it brings some nerve to the live experience. Most "bands" today play to a click track which I think is boring. Sometimes it was hard to play with Lopez, especially during the last couple of gigs. If I should compare Axe and Lopez I think it's easier to play with Axe live but Lopez had a fashion for experimentation that was out of this world during recordings. I loved working on the beats with him. That's something I miss. However, we've never worked with Axe and I foresee him taking command in the same way as Lopez did.

I don't know why I feel the need to defend Axe but I think some of you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Lopez was great I agree, but it's over...either accept it or move on.

Mike

Badass my brotha. Thanks for killing it in Detroit on Gigantour.