Martin Axenrot

Lopez's tempo was nowhere near as solid as Axe's is. BUT he knew exactly when to push the tempo. Like Mike said, there is a lot to be said for a drummer with rock-solid tempo and a deep pocket, but at the same time Axe has single-handedly ruined the end of Deliverance by just playing it wayyyy too fucking slow...both times I've seen him play it. It completely sucks the energy out of the song.

Say what you will about Lopez's tempo (hell, just listen to how much he pushes and pulls on "Drapery" from Lamentations), but live i WANT a drummer to know when to kick the speed up a little bit.

In my opinion, of course. which is right.

I just heard another version of Axe's on The Drapery.....it really is not the same. And I miss those extra symbols in The Leper.

But Axe still owns. Quit ye bitchin'.

How about we stop analysing the sound and comparing it to the album sound, and actually start enjoying the music? Music is entertainment first, a field of research later.

I'm surprised that no-one (well i've not seen it) has said more about the fact that Mikael writes the drum-beats originally.
Sure Lopez changed them a lot and the finished beats were sort of a collaborative writing effort but Opeth have released two albums with some great drumming without Lopez and Mike is hardly gonna say "sure Axenrot, i'd envisaged some cool subtle drum fills and minimalism but lets just have ten minutes of blasting". The other thing everyone seems to have ignored is that Axenrot must know he is joining Opeth - he's not expecting to be playing full on death.

As for his live performances i think someone who has been playing with him for a year has more of an idea than i do but i'll see them with Axenrot (again) on Friday 10th November and see how he's handling Opeth songs after a year plus. Pretty well i expect.

I was a big fan of Lopez but i'm not stupid enough to think that a band going for more than 10 years doesn't know who would fit their style and anything that makes their next record have something new is (hopefully) going to be a good thing.

More importantly, it is not the question of who writes the drum beats, it is how the drummer interprets, arranges and plays them.

And Lopez was becomming with each Opeth release a very musical drummer with a great sense of dynamics ( something unheard in 97% of metal drumming) who had develloped his own voice.

When Sting writes a song he has probabbly thought out some groove and drumpatterns but look to who he is giving these groove ideas to :

Omar Hakim, Manu Katché, Vinnie "GOD" Colaiuta etc Stewart Copeland those incredible musicians put their stamp on Sting's music as Lopez used to do with the mighty Opeth.

That is all for tonight drum n00bs !

We ll see what Axenrot can bring to the table on the 9th Opeth observation.

Mr Samsara said:
That's not painful enough.
You just heard Mike himself on the issue. He's not bothered about someone slowing the tempo down or something. He produces music he likes, writes things as if they were a hobby and not as a profession. He wants to have a 'good' time more than anything else in a concert.. then why the hell are we fighting over deciding if its a 'good move' or a 'bad move'. Opeth is not OUR band. Its his, the decision is his and it was given enough thought by the man who SHOULD. Just accept the change and move on. If you don't like it, turn it off. Go play Mandy Moore.

Aarohi said:
You just heard Mike himself on the issue. He's not bothered about someone slowing the tempo down or something. He produces music he likes, writes things as if they were a hobby and not as a profession. He wants to have a 'good' time more than anything else in a concert.. then why the hell are we fighting over deciding if its a 'good move' or a 'bad move'. Opeth is not OUR band. Its his, the decision is his and it was given enough thought by the man who SHOULD. Just accept the change and move on. If you don't like it, turn it off. Go play Mandy Moore.

You can't possibly be speaking to me directly.:rolleyes:

Aarohi said:
What part of India are you from? Is Opeth a familiar name amongst music fans over there?

I know that my cousin over at Bangalore is familiar with Opeth's music.

He's not a bad drummer by any means, he just leaves notes out sometimes that really gives songs on the albums their flair.

IMO the drumming in certain songs is what really makes them, but then you hear it live and those slight accents that Lopez used are either not there or just another tom hit when they should have been a crash or a hihat.

He can keep pace but just misses those little notes that make the drumming so memorable.

I suppose most of you... when your wives/girlfriends would make you a cake... would be the ones that would respond with, "That is a really good cake, honey.... but, the sprinkles are not the same color of the last cake you made and the way you spread the frosting is not as smooth as I would have liked it." And the rest of us feel like the girlfriend who is completely justified in grabbing a fist full of cake and punching you in the mouth with the fist full of cake yelling, "HERE's your cake you ungrateful fucking bastard!" and then throwing all of your shit out on the front yard.