melo-death vs. brutal death

what is your favorite?

• brutal death metal

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • melodic death metal

Votes: 41 67.2%

• Total voters
If you're actually asking for a recommendation, I'm happy to oblige, but I'm not going to argue with you over something that is clearly a matter of personal taste. If you don't like melodic death, then you don't like it, I'm not here to change your mind.

yes I am asking for a recommendation.

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Amorphis - Elegy, Tales from the Thousand Lakes, The Karelian Isthmus
Opeth - all but the early stuff is closer to true melodic death
Dissection - The Somberlain
Insomnium - any
Dies Irae (Mex) - Naive
Edge of Sanity - The Spectral Sorrows, Purgatory Afterglow, Crimson (this one is a bit more proggy)
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress (I don't like this one but lots of people do)
Soilwork - early stuff (probably more in line with your tastes, it's more thrashy/speed type stuff)

I didn't include Nile on my brutal death list because I'm not sure if they are or not, but if so, they're definitely my favorite brutal death band.

^They're technical death metal for sure so that's just what I call them though Metal-Archives does have them listed as brutal/technical, I'm no brutal death metal expert though but what I do hear from every person into brutal death is the groove makes it brutal death, and I don't know what the hell they're talking about.

What are some good Brutal DM bands other than Suffocation, Nile and Dying Fetus?

Fleshgore, Goratory, Benighted, Intestine Baalism (melodic also), Fleshless. These bands make Nile look like Norma Jean.

The topic question is really hard for me. Melodic death metal is the first metal genre I fell in love with. It has plenty of good bands and a large range of styles also.

I've really been listening to a lot of brutal death metal lately. I like the technicality and pounding sound. I'd say it's rising pretty fast in my favorite genres.

I guess I'll go with melodic death metal though. Stuff like Insomnium, Carcass, Warbreed and Wintersun still has a great effect on me though I've been listening to it longer than brutal death. Brutal death could be an infatuation, but I love melodic death.

It's kind of like melodic death metal being the wife, and brutal death metal is the hot Dairy Queen girl I bang on the side... I've just been seeing her a lot lately.

I like some brutal death when it has actual growls instead of those gurgles/sink draning vocals, they get annoying if used too much though if used every once in a while they're fine, kinda like what Dallas from Nile does.

I don't like metal when it's softer and melancholic and has clean non-agressive vocals though, not saying all melodic death metal is like that, but it's kinda like when I listen to
Opeth, I feel like I half like it and half don't at times. i guess I should listen to more Bloodbath. :) But I do like the symphonic parts in gothic and black metal.

Suffocation for a brutal death metal band are well rounded musicians that influence people who can't play. It's like OMG IT'S BRUTAL and the people don't seem to realize besides suffocation being brutal they can play their instruments also.

Suffocation is trying to be brutal but it's obvious they want to demenstrate skills also and craft and kinda show off. The bands influenced by them are nothing more than BROOTAL.

^Do you have a problem getting into brutal death vocals too?
I like them when they're deep like Will from Mortician or Karl from Nile or even Chris Barnes from Cannibal Corpse on Tomb, but not those gurgles/sink draining ones, I prefer growls.