melo-death vs. brutal death

what is your favorite?

• brutal death metal

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • melodic death metal

Votes: 41 67.2%

• Total voters
^I'm similar, splitting music between Scandinavian BM and regular American DM and for today, I want heaviness and brutalisty so I'll listen to something like Deicide, Morbid Angel, or Nile instead of brutal death. But this morning I listened to Satyricon so it's 50/50.

Zephyrus: I actually sort of agree with you on both points. Black Metal does have more feelings and emotions. However for me much of the time I do not want feelings or emotions. I just want violence and heaviness. Also brutal death isn't memorable. I don't really think this is randomness but rather that brutal death metal songs have fewer hooks and distinct parts and focus more on the overall sound.

I can find plenty of violence in heaviness in a number of black metal bands I listen to, so I can get my fill of angriness and still enjoy the BM aesthetic. When you inject the same amount of brutality into death metal, it becomes overwhelming. Having constant blast beats in black metal (Marduk and co.) is fine for me, but if you combine a jumbled bunch of technical riffs in, it's too much to handle.

I lvoe Death metal and all that, but alot of the Brutal stuff is realllly bad songwriting. I listen to lots of DM, but i also look for good songwriting too.

But i can appreciate that some people may just like it "brutal" and thast fine.Theres a market for everything, and someones gonna like it.

hey tim (life sucks) check out Neuraxis. They combine suffocation style BDM with at the gates style melodic riffing for a very heavy, technical AND melodic product. Vocals are great too.

I voted for melodic death, since I like a lot of melodic death bands (In Flames and Soilwork NOT being among them). You can't argue that the first couple AtG albums are great, as well as some more moderns stuff like Arghoslent, Intestine Baalism, Holymarsh, etc.

The first AtG is great, the first half of the second one is too - but man did it fall off during the second half.

Holymarsh are excellent.

And yeah, CTS is one of the best modern death metal albums, probably far better than anything by Deicide.

No, Neuraxis aren't even remotely brutal. Also, stop providing horrible arguments as to why BDM is untalented or whatever. It isn't even about talent or composition, it is about raw and unreserved brutality through single-minded slamming!!

Except if you're, like, Deeds of Flesh.

Neuraxis is good, their newest album sadly was missing the -core elements that made me like their earlier albums so much though.

Metalcore, hardcore, grindcore, power violence (this is technically core I believe), emo, etc. all kickass or rather can kickass.