melo-death vs. brutal death

what is your favorite?

• brutal death metal

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • melodic death metal

Votes: 41 67.2%

• Total voters
I like lower vocals a lot but brutal death metal bands go to far and into the gurgle crap. I just think the music is horrible mainly and the songs and riffs don't have an individuality of distinction from each other. You needs to have songs where parts stick out and you have something to grip at. A lot of it just sounds like DUN DUN DUN chuggy to my ears(you know what I mean). what's the point

id prolly like brutal death metal more if the people recording it actually cared to give more than five minutes into post production

the problem is that for every good brutal DM band, there seems to be a 1000 worthless clones with nothing to offer.

I might agree there

But I like a lot of melo-death bands, and some brutal death bands like Skinless, who are fucking awesome. I didn't even vote because I'm a lazy fucker.

Why do you roll your eyes and yell obscenities at everyone that doesn't like grindcore?

because its my favorite genre of metal, which is at odds with most of the people here. I shouldn't say this, but I am a Relapse board refugee.

Suffocation for a brutal death metal band are well rounded musicians that influence people who can't play. It's like OMG IT'S BRUTAL and the people don't seem to realize besides suffocation being brutal they can play their instruments also.

Suffocation is trying to be brutal but it's obvious they want to demenstrate skills also and craft and kinda show off. The bands influenced by them are nothing more than BROOTAL.

uhh nile and deeds of flesh can't play their instruments? :loco: although by and large, I agree with your assertions.

I'll stick with Black.. tryhard wannabe evil 'who can make the most "shocking to an old woman christian" lyrics'
Irony?

I don't understand why most people seem to judge genres based on the irrelevant bottomfeeding clones instead of the hallmarks of quality. The best of melodic Death Metal is some of the finest music ever created. Brutal Death Metal doesn't have much on its side.
Could you elaborate more on why you dislike Brutal Death? You are an articulate person, and I am curious to understand where people in your camp are coming from.

As everyone knows, I am a HUGE Brutal Death fan. I like it because there is plenty of diversity, it's very brutal (duh) and I personally love the "gurgle/sink draining" vocals (great description :)). The genre is very visceral and unrelenting which is important to me. Blast beats also make me very happy. When I hear a Devourment slam or Disgorge busting out a furious blast beat with a guttural on top I am in heaven. Yeah, there are plenty of clones, but cloning something good is not always a bad thing.

As for melodeath/melodic death I can stomach some of it but I cannot stand the Gothenburg riff. The riff that In Flames/DT/At the Gates and every single god damn metalcore band uses. I am sick of it. Fuck that shit.

Anyway here is a list of my personal best brutal death albums for those who are curious or those who want to add them to the Do Not Buy list.

Devourment - Molesting the Decapitated
Disgorge - Cranial Impalement
Cenotaph - Pseudo Verminal Cadaverium
Vomit Remnants - Supreme Vehemence

yeah agreed^. but i'd actually have to go with melo-deth. i used to love brutal death, and now i realized how stupid it actually is. there is some good stuff, like suffocation, but the rest are all the same , regurgitated crap.

I dunno for some reason its still hard for me to decided though...

Honestly, this is why I don't like it. The vocals are very offputting for me, and that's a very hard thing to do. Everything about the music just screams "tryhard tough guy music," with what appears to be brutality for the sake of brutality, as opposed to an extreme presentation in order to convey some specific emotion or idea. I'm not a fan of gratuitous blast beats, especially in Death Metal. It took me a bit to even get into Suffocation and Immolation with their use of blast beats. It just feels unnecessary and doesn't serve the music. And of course breakdowns don't appeal to me either, especially when they seem gratuitous. I've heard Disgorge, Deeds Of Flesh (some of which I thought was okay), Avulsed, Impaled, and a lot of other bands when I tried to get into the genre about two years ago, so I don't consider myself completely ignorant of what I'm speaking, but at the same time I don't claim to be an expert and I'm sure there are a handful of bands that remain on the brutal side yet remain effective.

pretty much dead on actually.^^^, oh wise Necrautal.

it was "cool" for a while, but now people haev turned it into shit by overdoing teh "brutal" factor of the music.

I've never hated brutal death, but most of the genre seems a bit overwhelming. I've listened to a few of Cookiecutter's albums and the musicianship is more impressive than what the bands get credit for. My two main problems are (1) brutal death cannot convey for me the emotions and balance of atmosphere and chaos that I can find in black metal, and (2) it's utterly unmemorable. Now what I mean by memorability is how after a few listens I can aurally dissect a song and appreciate its complexity. In brutal death, it's just so random that nothing is memorable, even after several listens.

Brutal death metal by and large has no real atmosphere or emotion of any kind. Most of the music lacks any creativity or originality. The songwriting pretty much fucking sucks. Cnstant blasting is fucking retarded, as is nonstop pig grunts.

most of the music is directionless as well, just bands trying to be as "br00tal" as possible.

bands like nile write incredibly br00tal death metal but they still understand that 40 minutes of constant blasting and constant riffs as fast as possible = massive borefest.

Zephyrus: I actually sort of agree with you on both points. Black Metal does have more feelings and emotions. However for me much of the time I do not want feelings or emotions. I just want violence and heaviness. Also brutal death isn't memorable. I don't really think this is randomness but rather that brutal death metal songs have fewer hooks and distinct parts and focus more on the overall sound.

Zephyrus: I actually sort of agree with you on both points. Black Metal does have more feelings and emotions. However for me much of the time I do not want feelings or emotions. I just want violence and heaviness. Also brutal death isn't memorable. I don't really think this is randomness but rather that brutal death metal songs have fewer hooks and distinct parts and focus more on the overall sound.

uh no, it's not memorable because it is incredibly generic and boring

many of suffocation's songs are very memorable.