melo-death vs. brutal death

what is your favorite?

• brutal death metal

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • melodic death metal

Votes: 41 67.2%

• Total voters
You are totally right...

...but you need a better way of saying it. Remove the crappy ad hominem "GET LAID" bullshit and provide substantial arguments as to why those people are losers. Which they are. Missing out...

The only metalcore band I've been thoroughly impressed with so far is Starkweather but then again I haven't delved too far into the genre. Any recommendations?

Overcast were one of the originating "metalcore" bands before it was cool.

Maroon are good friends with HSB, but their album last year (When Worlds Collide) is a different beast...epic, trad-metal-ish solos and stuff here and there...excellent breakdowns...etc.

Overcast was pretty cool. I'm still kind of undecided about Maroon. They kind of have that "tough guy jumpadafuckup" sound that I'm not too fond of.

Deathcore is alright, decent in parts, definitely better than the mainstream hardcore/metalcore I've heard.
I like Glen Benton's vocals in Deicide better than Kronos's, and the music too, Glen's highs and lows are better to me, though Kronos are one of the better brutal death bands.

To me, melodic death metal at its best seems better than brutal death at its best. Of course, I prefer regular death metal (ala Human or Altars of Madness) to either. I don't listen to a lot of death metal these days anyway.

I don't know why, but those pig-sounding vocals really turn me off. When I listen to black metal, no vocal style really bothers me, except for banshee screams (Silencer), which are far from the norm of the genre. (There are maybe five notable bands using that style). Deep vocals like Demilich do not bother me in the slightest, but I just don't like the pig vocals.

Musicianship is not an issue at all, as just about any genre is rife with bands that play exceptionally well, and others that do not play notably well. As for clone/unoriginal/bad bands, I do not think any genre is any better or worse than any other in this sense.

I will listen to the essential brutal death albums someday, to see if I am indeed missing anything, but I strongly suspect this is not the genre for me.

Overcast was pretty cool. I'm still kind of undecided about Maroon. They kind of have that "tough guy jumpadafuckup" sound that I'm not too fond of.

If all you listened to was Wake Up In Hell (on their Myspace), you'd do well to listen to Swords & Bullet, Vermin, etc. off that album. Every song is very different and, IMO, amazing. But yeah, they have big BIG breakdowns.

not all melodic death is bad, but there are a crapload more useless "melo-death" bands than brutal death bands. really bad 5th rate At The Gates rip-offs really piss me off.

Just to clarify are we talking about 'Gothenburg' style melo-death or Melodic Death like say Karelian Isthmus era Amorphis or Intestine Baalism? 'cause their is a pretty big qualitative difference between the two IMO.

Come to think of it though, I would still prefer an album like Skydancer more than Brutal Death release so the distinction isn't really significant for me with regards to the topic at hand. It may be for others, though.

I can't take metalheads seriously when they immediately rule out anything with core influences in it. Those are the ignorant, elitist scum of the earth who can't listen to anything with clean vocals because it's "gay". What original grammar usage! Okay, and when's the last time you got laid? Thought so...

Easy on the assumptions and irrelevant topics.

Just to clarify are we talking about 'Gothenburg' style melo-death or Melodic Death like say Karelian Isthmus era Amorphis or Intestine Baalism? 'cause their is a pretty big qualitative difference between the two IMO.

now you're just splitting hairs...