Metal etymology

RedFox742

Power/Prog Devotee
Apr 9, 2008
www.pantheracomic.com
Most terms used in metal there are fairly clear roots for--"black metal", of course, comes from the Venom album; "mosh" is, according to Wikipedia, Bad Brains' fault; "death metal" is a little less clear, but may refer to Death themselves. Etc.

I've been asking people, however, if anyone knows who first used the term "power metal" in its current context to traditional-sound-with-melodic-vocals. Nobody seems to know. I find it especially interesting because these days, most bands flee from the moniker, despite it being embraced by both metal press and fans. The term can't have really come from Pantera's album; Pantera's sound has zilch to do with today's power-metal sound. And Helloween, essentially the founders of the genre, were on an EP called, of all things, "Death Metal". So I'm having a lot of trouble nailing down where the term originated.

Feel free to posit any more questions or facts about the origin of terminologies; I have an interest in metal history and I'd love to know.

The term power metal has been used at some point to describe just about every subgenre of metal except doom. I don't know when "power metal" as in "limp wristed gay faggy shit" was first introduced from the lexicon, but from a musical historical perspective, the obvious origin is Keeper of the Seven Keys, and I would also hazard a guess that the term had been bandied about quite a bit surrounding those two albums.

The term can't have really come from Pantera's album; Pantera's sound has zilch to do with today's power-metal sound.

I don't think the name came from their album title, but I'm pretty sure that that album had the roots of what today's power-metal sound is..now provided that I can't stand power metal at all, I may be completely off..

Do you seriously think this is what today's power metal sounds like?

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=7neZ3WoRQYs[/ame]

I fucking wish.

Metallica used the term on a business card back in 1982 and the term became synonymous with one of their demos. It has a long history dating back even further than that, really.

Still, nobody's been able to answer when someone first referred to either the European (Helloween, Stratovarius) or American (Manowar, Iced Earth) styles of power metal by that particular name. Nobody seems to know!

And I don't get the hate for the genre--to me it's pretty much the same stuff Maiden and Priest used to do (and still do), fast, catchy, clean, and melodic. But then again, I don't get extreme metal at all, either, so I'm probably a lost cause to everyone else here. :ill:

Still, nobody's been able to answer when someone first referred to either the European (Helloween, Stratovarius) or American (Manowar, Iced Earth) styles of power metal by that particular name. Nobody seems to know!

And I don't get the hate for the genre--to me it's pretty much the same stuff Maiden and Priest used to do (and still do), fast, catchy, clean, and melodic. But then again, I don't get extreme metal at all, either, so I'm probably a lost cause to everyone else here. :ill:

Power metal are known for flamboyant singing about dungeons and dragons type themes with tons of keyboards and keeping a certain level of cheesiness that Maiden for instance never even approached.

I do believe that he is of African descent, so I would imagine that that has something to do with it.