Metal music comments in your school

are there any metalheads in your school

• Yes

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
Haven't you noticed? All he talks about is how much more intelligent he is than most people and how much he likes sex. Perhaps somebody pointing out how vapid he comes across for somebody who claims to boast such vast intelligence will change that? *hint hint*

I also find it rather bizarre to keep a link to your introductory post in your signature. Perhaps a tad narcissistic, among other weird things?

Haven't you noticed? All he talks about is how much more intelligent he is than most people and how much he likes sex.
I tend to find his jokes humorous and they are usually sophisticated enough to indicate a high level of intelligence. Also, back when I posted in the philosophy forum, which at the time was a gigantic Nietzsche-fellating competition, his posts were routinely intelligent and non-Nietzsche-fellating.

On the other hand, that post was so stupid that it makes me wonder if oxygen stopped flowing to his brain.

I also find it rather bizarre to keep a link to your introductory post in your signature. Perhaps a tad narcissistic, among other weird things?
Not really...if people wonder who you are, they can click it; simpler than a myspace link.

Obviously there will be more metal fans in college than in high school. Aside from colleges generally being larger than high schools, colleges exclude those with lower intellects, while high schools do not. Consequently, fans of gangster rap will be excluded at a higher rate than fans of more obscure genres like classical, jazz and metal.

I don't know since I haven't been to collage yet but I still think there are more fans of obscure genres than stuff like gangster rap.

There are a few. I am probably the only one of the metalheads that listens to music other than metal.

Devasya Chāyā;8679912 said:
There are a few. I am probably the only one of the metalheads that listens to music other than metal.

I wished I had good metalheads in my school that doesn't listen to core stuff.I am the same that I listen to other music genres beside metal.

Devasya Chāyā;8679912 said:

Not at all really, besides which this is a metal forum so obviously the people that come here are going to be more into metal and less likely to discuss their tastes in non-metal than other people. Bad sample.

While I find you generally quite intelligent, this is an absurdly arrogant and idiotic thing to say.
I understand your point and I apologize for not being more clear. I'm not implying that there's a causal relationship between musical preference and IQ. In fact, my favorite professor likes rap and she is brilliant. While not causal though, I am confident that there is a correlation between musical taste and IQ, just like there's a correlation between religious views and IQ. While having a specific taste in music or belonging to a particular religious sect doesn't directly affect your IQ, there are many related cultural factors that do.

Members of the elite social strata score higher on standardized tests because they can afford a better education. However, there's also cultural pressure to demonstrate your worth by participating in fairly elitist activities. Going to see an opera or ballet qualifies. Attending a chamber music festival qualifies. Pulling your pants down to your knees and getting high at a 50 Cent concert does not. These of course are mostly stereotypes, but they do demonstrate how IQ and musical preference can correlate with each other, independently and without causality.

On the other hand, people with higher general intelligence are probably more likely to have the desire to challenge themselves that dumber people do not. This act of challenging oneself however need not be exclusive to practical things and can be applied to music, art, abstract thinking, etc. Consequently, classical music, jazz and metal might have an appeal to these types of people that gangster rap simply does not. Does this mean that people are smarter because they listen to classical, jazz and metal? No. But are they still smarter? Yes.
Haven't you noticed? All he talks about is how much more intelligent he is than most people and how much he likes sex. Perhaps somebody pointing out how vapid he comes across for somebody who claims to boast such vast intelligence will change that? *hint hint*

I really don't understand what you're referring to in your first paragraph. I remember citing my cognitive evaluation in a few threads in which it was relevant to the discussion, but I haven't noticed myself making a habit of it. With regard to sex, it's a common topic on this (and every) forum and I'm happy to contribute when I have something that seems relevant. However, since I studied human sexuality in college, I have a deeper, more academic insight into the topic than most people and will generally type more in depth posts as a result. However, I don't feel obliged to grant you any sympathy for occasionally having to read something more articulate than "hey guys i like sex what's your favorite position i did it with a black girl once."

Why is the link to my intro post even an issue? Having a personality and some brief interests to associate with a forum handle is an effective way to humanize other members of the community so that you can communicate with them on a more personal level. If that really doesn't make any sense to you then... oh well, tough shit.

I understand your point and I apologize for not being more clear. I'm not implying that there's a causal relationship between musical preference and IQ. In fact, my favorite professor likes rap and she is brilliant. While not causal though, I am confident that there is a correlation between musical taste and IQ, just like there's a correlation between religious views and IQ. While having a specific taste in music or belonging to a particular religious sect doesn't directly affect your IQ, there are many related cultural factors that do.

Members of the elite social strata score higher on standardized tests because they can afford a better education. However, there's also cultural pressure to demonstrate your worth by participating in fairly elitist activities. Going to see an opera or ballet qualifies. Attending a chamber music festival qualifies. Pulling your pants down to your knees and getting high at a 50 Cent concert does not. These of course are mostly stereotypes, but they do demonstrate how IQ and musical preference can correlate with each other, independently and without causality.

On the other hand, people with higher general intelligence are probably more likely to have the desire to challenge themselves that dumber people do not. This act of challenging oneself however need not be exclusive to practical things and can be applied to music, art, abstract thinking, etc. Consequently, classical music, jazz and metal might have an appeal to these types of people that gangster rap simply does not. Does this mean that people are smarter because they listen to classical, jazz and metal? No. But are they still smarter? Yes.
I see what you're saying, but it doesn't sound like you have anything to actually base this on, making this pointless, arrogant conjecture. And I'm pretty sure that any single RandyMOSS post is enough to demolish any notion that metalheads are smarter.

But maybe I'm just biased against this idea because I go to metal concerts in Worcester, which are attended almost exclusively by moronic scene kids. Regardless, getting high at a Fiddy concert and getting sloshed at a Morbid Angel concert are right at the same level.

A more reasonable hypothesis would be that in college people are exposed to a wider variety of music (and everything else) than in high school, and so are more likely to find what they like.

I see what you're saying, but it doesn't sound like you have anything to actually base this on, making this pointless, arrogant conjecture. And I'm pretty sure that any single RandyMOSS post is enough to demolish any notion that metalheads are smarter.

But maybe I'm just biased against this idea because I go to metal concerts in Worcester, which are attended almost exclusively by moronic scene kids. Regardless, getting high at a Fiddy concert and getting sloshed at a Morbid Angel concert are right at the same level.

A more reasonable hypothesis would be that in college people are exposed to a wider variety of music (and everything else) than in high school, and so are more likely to find what they like.

Well no music makes someone smarter.I don't like scene kids which there are quite a lot in my school and moshing if you asked me is dumb so metal conerts can be on the sane leavel as a rap concert altough I rather go to a metal concert.

Most people in high school just listen to whatever is popular and not what is good where in collage the students get into more undergound music genres.

Me & my Freind are about they only metalheads in our school now!
I wished I had more good metalheads in my school.
But there is only a bunch of gay scene/emo kids.