Metal Vs. Classical

OdinEye989 said:
And to counter some other comments. Opeth's style is different, but just because they're songs aren't "verse chorus verse chorus" does not mean they lack composition.
Their lacking verse/chorus songwriting isn't the point (as nearly every band I listen to write in narrative forms, not circular). It's that their composition style leaves songs just wondering about, not reaching a climax of any sort. Often the band gets lost in extended clean sections that they really could do without.

It's that their composition style leaves songs just wondering about, not reaching a climax of any sort. Often the band gets lost in extended clean sections that they really could do without.

I disagree. Orchid tended to do this, but Still Life for example was quite conclusive.

crimsonfloyd said:
Just read the lyrics from "In the Wake of Megellan" god I can't believe they even have an album about Megellan. As for Dream Theater, they just are, its music for nerds by nerds, with cheesy wanker solos and the most nerdy vocals in the world.
Actually, I think it's called "Magellan", and why exacly is that cheesy?
I'm not even going to ask you about Dream Theater being nerds, you are clearly prepubescent and not worth wasting time discussing with. It would probably just result in you trying to invent some new demeaning (in your own vocabulary, that is) words and then we would be debating wich band is the "gayest" and wich form of metal is "true" metal. Not very interesting.
I hope you understand, though I doubt it.

murder_house said:
Play some Rhapsody or something from Luca Turilli's side project.
I don't think that would persuade.:)

I love Rhapsody myself and I own every album, but I really cannot defend their lyrics. It's highly concentrated cheese. Although they're getting better, slowly...

Charubic Murder said:
Their lacking verse/chorus songwriting isn't the point (as nearly every band I listen to write in narrative forms, not circular). It's that their composition style leaves songs just wondering about, not reaching a climax of any sort. Often the band gets lost in extended clean sections that they really could do without.
This is true on their earlier stuff. I could write a long paper analyzing Opeth's style through their cds, but their newer stuff, especially Still Life and Blackwater Park have loads of purpose in each song. The songs just flow together beautifully...especially on The Drapery Falls and White Cluster.

Also, I was thinking of the whole point of the topic...man, trying to compare metal to Beethoven is ridiculous. Hell, how many composers now aday can compare to Beethoven at all...the way today's world is, music is just different, because the audience is different.

Theli said:
Actually, I think it's called "Magellan", and why exacly is that cheesy?
I'm not even going to ask you about Dream Theater being nerds, you are clearly prepubescent and not worth wasting time discussing with. It would probably just result in you trying to invent some new demeaning (in your own vocabulary, that is) words and then we would be debating wich band is the "gayest" and wich form of metal is "true" metal. Not very interesting.
I hope you understand, though I doubt it.
Hahahaha Your so off its not even funny. Your really only worth ignoring from this point on for jumping to such ignorent conclusions.

Ok so heres the deal, what ever you pick it cannot be a song with a convetional A/B/A/B/C/B structure. You have to go with something more progressive in nature...

Agalloch-In the Shadow of Our Pale Compainion
Burzum-Det Som Engang Var
In the Woods-Yearning The Seeds Of A New Dimension
Opeth-The Moor

Well you get the idea, long songs that progress smoothly...

crimsonfloyd said:
Ok so heres the deal, what ever you pick it cannot be a song with a convetional A/B/A/B/C/B structure. You have to go with something more progressive in nature...

Agalloch-In the Shadow of Our Pale Compainion
Burzum-Det Som Engang Var
In the Woods-Yearning The Seeds Of A New Dimension
Opeth-The Moor

Well you get the idea, long songs that progress smoothly...

Yknow playing the moor might not have been a bad idea. But I think it's too late for that now. He was supposed to give the song to the professor today.

Oh, y'all are gonna get a kick outta this...

I misheard his criteria. He mentioned that metal wouldn't be as sophisticated as Beethoven. He said that he found something new in Beethoven's 7th every time he listened to it, and that he'd heard it maybe hundreds of times. He wanted to hear one metal song that it would take him a hundred listens to decipher. If i could find that, then I would prove to him that metal isn't just kids' music.

Apparently I'm deaf, and a retard. Also, he has a much higher opinion of himself than I ever thought possible. He'd probably suck his own cock if he could...

Now I'll probably end up playing him Cryptopsy or something...

anonymousnick2001 said:
Oh, y'all are gonna get a kick outta this...

I misheard his criteria. He mentioned that metal wouldn't be as sophisticated as Beethoven. He said that he found something new in Beethoven's 7th every time he listened to it, and that he'd heard it maybe hundreds of times. He wanted to hear one metal song that it would take him a hundred listens to decipher. If i could find that, then I would prove to him that metal isn't just kids' music.

Apparently I'm deaf, and a retard. Also, he has a much higher opinion of himself than I ever thought possible. He'd probably suck his own cock if he could...

Now I'll probably end up playing him Cryptopsy or something...

In that case, I'm going to completely change my opinion. Black Rose Immortal, just for sheer length. Or something else by them, because that's one of the few bands that I hear something new in on every listen, except the last two installments that is-even though I think they're good. All the other bands I've suggested simply have classical leanings, but you sure as hell can't listen to dream theater songs a hundred times over. Hey, I just thought of something clever- give him crimson by edge of sanity. It's technically "one song" right? And there are a lot of good elements in that disc that take listen after listen to recognise. That's what makes it great. Those are pretty much the only two that come to mind now though.

I wouldn't say BRI, because it really doesn't flow as well as some other stuff. Nightfall by Blind Guardian may be cool, or a Dream Theater song. Dream Theater has the occasional drum lick or something that you don't catch the first listen.

No, it's very good technically but compositionally it's pretty bad, just like Opeth and Dream Theater. I recommend The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity because it's a neoclassical masterpiece.

The Chasm have great song structures. They feel really natural, flowing, and like they're actually going somewhere.

It's a shame then that a lot of their riffing and melodies are quite boring. =)

As interesting as The Chasm are, they can't help but repeatedly lose my attention while listening to any of their albums because most of their riffs are so unspectacular. It's a peculiar dichotomy; despite the relative chaos and immaturity of your average Cryptopsy composition, it nevertheless is more enjoyable to listen to because they've got excellent riffs and rhythms.

I have to ask, what's the point in listening to l337 music when despite being able to acknowledge the assets asserted by elitists climaxing over a good structure and ideology, you're nevertheless bored actually listening to the music? Not much really.