Metal Vs. Classical

I don't find The Chasm boring, in fact they are one of my very favourite bands. I'm never bored when listening to them. :)

Guardian of Darkness said:
The Chasm's riffs and melodies are infinitely more enjoyable than Cryptopsy's, I would say.

WEELLL, I just downloaded a song by the chasm to see what the fuss was about, and if you had to pick between cryptopsy and them, the chasm wins by a mile. Seriously-what the hell were you thinking picking that cryptopsy song? I downloaded it last night and it was terrible after the first 10 seconds.

anonymousnick2001 said:
My prof. rejected the piece, saying that he noticed the metal elements and that it was childish. Metal is too unsophisticated, “in your face,” and is in essence folk music, or kids’ music. He said that my piece reeked of bad songwriting (I showed it to at least 10 fellow students and the assistant teacher and all said it looked awesome—I know the writing is good). He challenged me to find one metal song, just ONE, that has any of the maturity, tone, development, or “musicality” of any of Beethoven’s works.

If I can find such a song by Monday, he will reconsider my failing grade. I’m looking for one that has all those elements he mentioned and more, and doesn’t have any orchestral backing, so he can’t claim that stealing classical techniques was what made it good.

Anyone know anything that I can actually use?

Try some symphony x, songs like damnation game and candlelight fantasia, both are laden with classical influence(michael romeo(lead guitarist) learned the classical guitar for a while).

If u're looking for 'maturity' of sound , u've gotta try Pain Of Salvation....their songs are really well developed, and they have a really evolved sense of music, and their solos are unbelievably good. by far one of the most mature sounding bands....try songs like idioglossia, second love, ashes, falling... even if the band doesnt meet what u're looking for in your 'assignment' , i'm sure u'll love the band.

If u're looking for a technical masterpeice, and it hasnt occured to u already, the song you're looking for is DT's Punish My Heaven....need i say more?

hope this was of any help

cheers.
\m/\m/

It's times someone did somethin constructive here. He has WAY too many choices!!

I just went through and listened to everything I hadn't heard yet so that I could decide which one would really be the best one to use.

After three hours of listening to new music I still think crimson is by far your best bet, but assuming you can't use a forty minute song(which isn't fair considering the length of many classical compositions) Here are your best bets in my opinion:

Summoning-this jumped out at me, it has a high level of maturity, it's beautiful, and it's brutal, all at once. Dor Daedeloth is the song I downloaded.

Opeth-I don't care WHAT people say about the wondering composition, you will find something new almost everytime you listen to one of their better songs. A good choice might be the moor if he can sit through the intro. Fuck all you Opeth Slaggers, All of still life, and most of blackwater park are VERY well constructed, and everything by them is pretty well written.

Gordian Knot-This is brilliant stuff, but it almost doesn't sound like metal at all most of the time. If you can convince him its really metal, this is a good bet.

Kayo dot-broad sweeping compositions. Once again though my problem here is that their only weakness seems to be that they're trying to use some metal elements and it almost doesn't fit sometimes.

Emperor-The trick here would be to find a track accessible enough, yet with enough variety to really let them shine on first listen. It takes me forever to get bored with an emperor album.

All the rest get put below these in my book. Not because they're not as good, but because these would satisfy his teachers requirements in that there is a LOT to love, and it can't be heard the first listen. And yet I would still suggest playing crimson simply because I've had the album for long time and listen to it at least once or twice a week. I still haven't gotten bored with it, and I still find something new once in a while. Plus, the reccuring themes give it real sense of cohesion.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Oh, y'all are gonna get a kick outta this...

I misheard his criteria. He mentioned that metal wouldn't be as sophisticated as Beethoven. He said that he found something new in Beethoven's 7th every time he listened to it, and that he'd heard it maybe hundreds of times. He wanted to hear one metal song that it would take him a hundred listens to decipher. If i could find that, then I would prove to him that metal isn't just kids' music.

Apparently I'm deaf, and a retard. Also, he has a much higher opinion of himself than I ever thought possible. He'd probably suck his own cock if he could...

Now I'll probably end up playing him Cryptopsy or something...

in that case i always hear something new with:

emperor-anthems to the welkin at dusk
opeth-my arms your hearse
dissection-the somberlain

if you can get past the vocals, there is something surprising in every listen.

Demiurge said:
I never find myself bored by The Chasm.
Yeah, The Chasm are great. Deathcult for Eternity, Procession to the Infraworld, and Conjuration of the Spectral Empire are some of the best, most original death metal CDs ever released. I hope that their upcoming Earache debut will match up to those classics.

Guardian of Darkness said:
No, it's very good technically but compositionally it's pretty bad, just like Opeth and Dream Theater. I recommend The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity because it's a neoclassical masterpiece.
Luc Lemay from Gorguts has a 4 year degree in musical composition from the conservatory, and Mongrain from Martyr has studied classical music too.

Gorguts - Obscura is then totally awesome because mainly of the dissonance, the jazzy drums, the changes and all, and From Wisdom to Hate is a little bit more conservative but Mongrain's touch renders some of the songs much more accessible.

Lemay also plays violin in the second track on Obscura ( Earthly Love ) and this is weird as hell.

I guess that the composition is good, especially on From Wisdom to Hate since both guitarist studied classical music.

Classical fans should enjoy dissonance, he might as well hate how Gorguts render the dissonance :D

mmmm, I acknowledge The Chasm's excellence and their evident complete mastery of respect from listeners. They just don't make me want to keep coming back for more listens though. I've always been one to strangely be unimpressed by something amazing, or won-over by something mediocre. =) It's a strange trait I have. Maybe I have a malfunctioning brain. :tickled:

I was nervous.

Class had just ended, and I was clutching the mix CD betwixt a white thumb and forefinger. My weekend of turmoil and toil had reached its conclusion. It was time. I remembered all the suggestions you guys had given me. I even had a few. But I knew what I had to play.

He walked over to the boombox and said that it was time to prove him wrong, in a sarcastic tone, of course. I handed him the CD and told him to skip to track 02. As he did so, I impulsively reached for the pause button and pressed it. He pulled up a chair and sat down, motioning for me to do the same. The bomber planes in my gut told me otherwise, so I shook my head no and stood my ground. My knees were shaking. I asked him if he was ready, and he shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly. "Sure."

I pressed play.

The opening chords of the song rolled in, and when the distortion dropped in afterwards, my heart skipped a beat. I turned to glance at my professor's face, and in his eyes I knew it all too well. I had won.

3:53 later, the subwoofers were still sizzling, my knees still rumbling, and my face still shining with pride. And he was smiling, too.

-That is the most complex form I've ever heard in heavy metal. Those vocals, were they actual words?

-Yes.

-What about?

-Philosophy, I believe. Their older lyrics were more tongue-in-cheek, but I reckon the lyrics for that song are a half page long if I recall.

-(pause) That was an interesting delivery. The vocals are not meant to be understood, I presume?

-No.

-(pause) That was...evil.

-Thank you.

-What's this song called?

-"Cold Hate, Warm Blood"

*applause*

HURRAY!

I actually chuckled reading that! I'm so happy. This has been a big deal for the forum!

Good work!!

EDIT : This is pitiful. I'm listening to the song giggling thinking of your teacher hearing it.:loco:

I would have considered the Chasm, because there seems to be quite the support for the group on here. However, I was either asleep or in other classes when the suggestions came. Oh, well...Cryptopsy worked.

I will definitely be checking out The Chasm, though.

Yeah. I played him some Winds to show him that a chamber group and a metal ensemble can coexist.

If my composition is good, I'll get my A.