metalcore.... the new nu metal????

The primary difference between hardcore and metalcore is where the emphasis of the music is placed. In metal (and in metalcore) the emphasis is primarily on melody. In hardcore, the emphasis is primarily on beat. Thus, hardcore and metalcore are rather easy to distinguish.

I could definately see people start to label metalcore as the new nu metal. The amount of metalcore bands the are showing up is very similar to the amount of nu-metal bands that started showing up a couple years ago. The biggest difference is quality. Nu-metal (and I am generalizing here) usually has very few redeeming features to it. Metalcore (again, generalzing) usually has far more. The emergence, though, is very similar.

i wouldnt say metalcore is the new "nu-metal" but id rather say all this lame wannabe emo/hardcore stuff like finch, thursday, funeral for a friend, glassjaw, the used etc.. is. Poison The Well are ok i guess (i have the opposite of december and distance only makes the heart grow fonder), they've become a bit annoying really. The only metalcore band that i truely love is Converge, and they're about as nu-metal as a sock

I like Dillinger Escape Plan, Hatebreed, and I got the new Radiation 4- so what other metalcore bands can one recommend? I see alot of converge, and poison the well.

Luminous, the comment about Bruce was unneccessary- I hate power metal vocals, and power metal- but Maiden and Bruce are in a class by themselves.

Nu-metal no longer exists. The term is obsolete.

And what you think is 'nu-metal' and what metalcore actually is are two different things.

Metalcore is simply hardcore with metal elements, i.e. squeals, twin guitar harmonies, etc. Emo vocals aren't a necessity, but they are prevalent.

Killswitch Engage, Atreyu, From Autumn To Ashes, Unearth, God Forbid, Shadows Fall, Lamb Of God, and Hatebreed and Poison The Well to some extent.

Opposed to real hardcore, like Biohazard, Madball, Agnostic Front, Earth Crisis, Sick Of It All, Bad Brains, and Shai Hulud.

Metalcore... more focused on melody? YEAH RIGHT. That's not true, another typical ffanatic fallacy. DEP have little to no melody, yet they are metalcore. No, metalcore is simply a mixture of metal and hardcore. Sometimes, like Botch and Converge, the bands are more on the hardcore side, while bands like KSE and As I Lay Dying are more on the metal side (Shadows Fall and Lamb of God are NOT metalcore). Metalcore can have melody, but it by no means requires melody. Heavy metal is by no means a genre of music focused on melody either, only certain subgenres like power metal are. Brutal death has NO melody, that runs counter to the whole idealogy of the subgenre.

Thursday, Glassjaw, and to a lesser extent Finch, are all very fucking good bands. Glassjaw is utterly amazing, and Thursday is extremely potent and intelligent emo with indie rock leanings. No, the "emo" bullshit today would consist of Savestheday, Dashboard Confessional, Further Seems Forever, The Ataris, etc.

LuminousAether said:
Metalcore... more focused on melody? YEAH RIGHT. That's not true, another typical ffanatic fallacy. DEP have little to no melody, yet they are metalcore. No, metalcore is simply a mixture of metal and hardcore. Sometimes, like Botch and Converge, the bands are more on the hardcore side, while bands like KSE and As I Lay Dying are more on the metal side (Shadows Fall and Lamb of God are NOT metalcore). Metalcore can have melody, but it by no means requires melody. Heavy metal is by no means a genre of music focused on melody either, only certain subgenres like power metal are. Brutal death has NO melody, that runs counter to the whole idealogy of the subgenre.

Thursday, Glassjaw, and to a lesser extent Finch, are all very fucking good bands. Glassjaw is utterly amazing, and Thursday is extremely potent and intelligent emo with indie rock leanings. No, the "emo" bullshit today would consist of Savestheday, Dashboard Confessional, Further Seems Forever, The Ataris, etc.

Given DEP's bewildering variety of musical styles, I find it laughable that you would pigeonhole them as metalcore. The band is unclassifiable. Care to give another example?

I am a HUGE metalcore and hardcore fan..While I don't see the relation to nu-metal..nor have I heard anyone placing the two together..it's absolutely ridiculous. LIsten to a band like Between The Buried and Me or Shai Hulud and tell me they have alot in common with a band like Spineshank or Trapt...there's just nothing in common..However, I will say that I feel nu-metal is falling very quickly..it seems like it is on it's last leg..with the renewal of Headbangers Ball and other such outlets..metal is making a come back..but if you're going to say metalcore is the new nu-metal..then consider the fact that currently bands like In Flames and Soilwork are finding themselves on Mtv2's Headbangers Ball way more than bands like Burnt By The Sun, Shai Hulud, and Converge..

LuminousAether said:
(Shadows Fall and Lamb of God are NOT metalcore).
You disappointed me there. For a minute I thought I liked some Metalcore bands, but you say they're not, so I guess I really don't like Metalcore.

By the way, if Glassjaw is the band I'm thinking of, then I now know why I don't like Metalcore. To me, it was just embarassing watching their video on MTV. Not because it was on MTV, but because I couldn't stand it. I just dismissed it as Nu-Metal, because that's what it sounded like to my ears. I've never heard a Metalcore band similar to Glassjaw, and to me, that's a plus.

Glassjaw aren't nu metal or metalcore, they are emo which is a style of hardcore punk dwelling more on emotional issues. Lately, the media has started using emo to incorrectly describe music like Dashboard Confessional so real emo fans have started calling real emo emocore or screamo. Fuck the media, they don't know shit about music so they should never use genre tags.

for some reason the best metalcore bands seem to come from miluawkee; 7 a's, 7 p's end this day, forever is forgotten, wings of scarlet, misery signals etc.... btw this whole debate about what is "core" and what isn't is stoopid, to me if a band has parts that I can mosh to than there metalcore, if not there just plain old metal.