metalcore.... the new nu metal????

Breakdowns are usually when the song stops focusing on riffs, shifts down, and starts fucking pummeling with power chords and screaming. It's like a sonic sledgehammer aimed at your brain. If you hear a breakdown and you don't headbang, mosh, whatever, you suck!

I love metalcore like God Forbid and Lamb Of God (yes they got some death/thrash elements but I still think they're metalcore) for their intensity and energy. The problem with metalcore is sometimes it gets really tacky and predictable and I hate when they add those emo vocals in songs. Ugh.
:yuk:

They probably call hardcore/metalcore the new nu-metal because some of it is getting more popular and taken up by the media like Lamb Of God and Hatebreed for instance.

LuminousAether said:
Breakdowns are usually when the song stops focusing on riffs, shifts down, and starts fucking pummeling with power chords and screaming. It's like a sonic sledgehammer aimed at your brain. If you hear a breakdown and you don't headbang, mosh, whatever, you suck!

I suck apparently, i can only hear so many songs that have the exact same open E power chord CHUG CHUG breakdown before i just stop caring.

Yes, Beloved are awesome. Failure On may not be the most original album out there, but it does enough things different and just plain RIGHT that I love it. It's definitely in my top 10 albums of the year, but so far Virus and The Mars Volta and Poison the Well are keeping it out of the top 3. Kayo Dot should be high up there as well... but regardless, Beloved fucking owns. You'd think their loud soft dichotomy would get old and formulaic, but they don't pander to songwriting shortcomings, instead offering to weave tapestries of melodic yet brutal songs. The epic "Death to Traitors" starts off like hard melodic rock yet quickly shifts to bludgeoning metalcore rapidly switching from breakdown to speeding metal riffs and back again before coming to a halt and ending with a .hopesfall. styled atmospheric ending with militaristic drumming. It's astonishingly awesome and utterly breathtaking.

I can't believe no ones mentioned Length of time or Avenged Sevenfold.

Length of time are a Belgian band who mix gloomy and vicous metalcore with AiC/ToN style melodies with Layne Staley soundalike clean vocals to add to the effect.

one of band members also has the first name Kirby thats always a bonus.

Aveneged Sevenfold are kind of like Metalcore mmets At the Gates meets Pennywise meets Power Metal meets Old mans child meets general greatness.

I think lots of songs are better with a sick breakdown than a warbly solo(Proven by Hatebreed). Or a mosh riff, like in 11th Hour by Lamb Of God.

Avenged Sevenfold are one of those bands like Diecast who give metalcore a bad name...I'll stick with my Dead to Fall, Lamb of God, Nora, Every Time I Die, Converge, Isis, and the like...

On a side note, I was listening to an older Underoath album called "Act of Depression" and the 7th track is called something about a saviour or Christ or something like that and I had never really listened to it before. It's not on the normal tracklist as it is just a 6 song album, it's a bonus track basically. So anyways, I was listening to it and it sounded like some really shitty acoustic music with warbly singing, pretty low volume. I was kind of like "wtf??" and then all of a sudden a talking voice comes on and starts saying this shit like "ok, I want all you people listening to this album to accept the lord jesus christ into your heart... you can't trust people as they will only let you down, you must only trust jesus christ... blah blah blah." It's easy to tell what my reaction was, anger. Why waste space on a cd with drivel like this? So I fast forward and the motherfucker is still spouting vocal vomit and I am getting more and more pissed, this is 4 minutes of preaching goddamnit. So I fast forward it to the end and it's really loud horribly played acoustic shit with terrible vocals. God... fuck you Underoath for doing this shit. This is their debut album, and it's nowhere near as good as Cries of the Past and Changing of Times. So finally, don't get this old Underoath album if you don't want to be preached at.