Mikael A. in new (July '05) Guitar World

satanicnugz

Blast Beats 4 Life
Apr 18, 2004
Minot, ND, USA
I got my new Guitar World magazine in the mail yesterday. Didn't see any other thread talking about this. I though you folks would enjoy the tiny interview with him.

The small interview is under the cover article of "The insane new sound of underground metal" :erk:

--------------------------
OPETH

GW:What do you want to acheive as a guitarist, and how do you go about getting your sound?
MA:I mainly focus on writing songs, so my technique has become less important over the years. I like to be versatile both in my playing and songwriting, so for me the best way to progress is to listen to loads of different kinds of music and get influenced. I don't practice; I play guitar in order to come up with some cool licks. My setup is simple: I have a Boss GT6 that can hold all my sounds. I believe your sounds is in your fingers, which should react to the pulse of your heart and the hissing in your head. No machine can help you if your body's producing shit.

GW:What recorded performance represents your personal best?
MA:"Hope Leaves" [from Damnation] is a song I'm very proud of. It turned out better than the demo, which was phenomenal to start with. My best recorded solo is the clean one in "Windowpane" [from Damnation] or my part in "Harvest" [from Blackwater Park]. I like off-the-wall stuff.

GW:What song best represents your band?
MA: We're recording a new album right now, so probably any of those cuts. But older stuff like "Deliverance" [from Deliverance] or "The Drapery Falls" [from Blackwater Park] are typical Opeth-sounding songs.

GW: What guitarists on the tour or among your peers do you most admire, and why?
MA:The bands on this tour are new to me, apart from Clutch and Strapping Young Lad. I guess I've gotta say [SYL's] Devin Townsend, and I think Jeff Loomis of Nevermore deserves more credit as a guitar player. I'm into different types of players these days than the typical ones. I really like Andy Latimer, Jerry Donahue, Blackmore...and Yngwie, of course!

GW: What is the future of metal?
MA: Perhaps more pretty bands that aren't really metal? I've no idea, and I don't give a flying fuck about the future of metal, as I'm sure the next big thing is gonna suck as hard as what's big now. I'm a grumpy old-schooler that still cradles my old records and has little interest in the "metal" of today.

----------------
Also featured in the underground metal article, interviews with: Arch Enemy, Chimaira, Lamb of God, Trivium, From Autumn to Ashes, Pig Destroyer, Clutch, All That Remains, Mastodon, Devildriver, Unearth, Cephalic Carnage, Black Dahlia Murder, Every Time I Die, Poison the Well, Gwar, Pelican, Norma Jean, Throwdown, Terror, The Haunted, The Esoteric, and Wednesday 13.

Also Mark Morton from Lamb of God compliments Jeff Loomis "I've said it before, but I think Jeff Loomis from Nevermore is one of the best players out there right now. That dude can do anything. His riffs are heavy as hell, his leads are untouchable, his tone is heavy, and the song arrangements are great. He's definantly one of my favorite contemporary metal players right now."

:headbang: no shit!! Loomis rules. He hasn't even had a full article in GW yet. They better be catching all these hints!!

"perhaps more pretty bands that aren't really metal"
bwahahahaha!

ps: Loomis is awesome. some forumers here helped me with that realization.

awesome.........Mike neitehr talks nor takes Bullshit,............good to knwo hes unphased by teh new pretty metal bands.......why teh hell woudl 'tallica take Lost prophet on tour with them........thats sucky......!!!!........eitehre wya rock on MIKe.....urea relaly a musical genious..adn u rock hard.....!!!!...stay true........PEAC EOUT

satanicnugz said:
Mikael Akerfeldt: I've no idea, and I don't give a flying fuck about the future of metal, as I'm sure the next big thing is gonna suck as hard as what's big now.

beautiful statement.

and that should let you queers who think roadrunner will ruin this band sleep a little better tonight.

Thanks for posting the article.
After reading that interview...Mikael is going to HATE that tour he's on. haha jk, I don't really know. I'm sure the tour will be some great times for the band even if the bands on it are "pretty bands that aren't really metal." ...too bad at least a good half of those bands in the article are just numetal/metalcore spin offs.

^I agree. There is a good chance Mike will finally snap one day and strangle someone from Norma Jean with their own tight pants.

thanks for posting the article dude, that was a good read.

NineFeetUnderground said:
uhh, why?

because Mikael doesnt like current metal bands?

That right there is the most valid reason anyone could have.

MA: Perhaps more pretty bands that aren't really metal? I've no idea, and I don't give a flying fuck about the future of metal, as I'm sure the next big thing is gonna suck as hard as what's big now. I'm a grumpy old-schooler that still cradles my old records and has little interest in the "metal" of today.

The mouth of the Lord hath spoken. A thousand Amen's!

GW:What song best represents your band?
MA: We're recording a new album right now, so probably any of those cuts.

When I read this I laughed in excitement.

Great interview, Mike is the man.

I have the mag, I scanned the picture next to the article, it looks like a new promo pic, Mike's sporting a PRS shirt, very cool.

mikepic.gif

R0l0 said:
^ nice! thanks for posting the pic dude.
yeah it looks like some grim new promo pic for the upcoming album :loco:

a PRS shirt for an album photo? seems like a strange choice. im assuming it was taken for the magazine article, or maybe just random 2005 promo photos.