Mikael and Deadwing

Dseven

on the bridge
Oct 28, 2004
Santiago, Chile
after listening several times that masterpiece i was wandering: what was the exact contribution made in it by Mikael? which part of the voices/chorus/harmonies, guitar riffs, etc, etc, etc. where the ones he was involved in??

thanks for your helpful answers

:headbang:

perhaps Mikael himself will answer this question... but i guess that i'm not that lucky... anyway, i have my crossed fingers.

;)

Well, according to the Deadwing booklet, Mikael is doing harmony vocals on tracks 1, 3 and 5, as well as the second guitar solo on track 5.
Hope that helps?

I was pretty disappointed with his contribution. If it wasn't for the fact that it was mentioned several times before the album came out and that it says so in the booklet I would never have noticed it. When they said Mike would be doing vocals I was hoping he would do some actual singing instead of just doing some harmony vocals that are buried so far down in the mix that it could pretty much be anyone.

On "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" (Track 5) Mikael is the one singing the ah-ah-ah-ah's. The first one comes after "Never trust the sound of rain upon a river rushing though your ears." I agree that his contribution for the entire album is minimal, but this part is unmistakably Akerfeldt.

thanks all of you, it helps a lot...

anyway, minimal participation of not, Deadwing is a Masterpiece on it's own... i always thought that the heavy riff on "Arriving somewhere, but not here" was written by Mikael... but this makes me notice that Steven Wilson can perfectly handle Death Metal riffing style... Both Mikael and Steven should make some death metal project too, besides the prog one that's scheduled.

wwallinga said:
On "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" (Track 5) Mikael is the one singing the ah-ah-ah-ah's. The first one comes after "Never trust the sound of rain upon a river rushing though your ears." I agree that his contribution for the entire album is minimal, but this part is unmistakably Akerfeldt.

are you sure about that...

Dseven said:
thanks all of you, it helps a lot...

anyway, minimal participation of not, Deadwing is a Masterpiece on it's own... i always thought that the heavy riff on "Arriving somewhere, but not here" was written by Mikael... but this makes me notice that Steven Wilson can perfectly handle Death Metal riffing style... Both Mikael and Steven should make some death metal project too, besides the prog one that's scheduled.
I thought that Mikael wrote it to. Its so... Opethian.

Dseven said:
after listening several times that masterpiece i was wandering: what was the exact contribution made in it by Mikael? which part of the voices/chorus/harmonies, guitar riffs, etc, etc, etc. where the ones he was involved in??

I know I'm going to sound like a dick for saying this but so be it. If you think it's such a masterpiece you may want to actually purchase it. If you have purchased it, check out the booklet and the PT.com website for more details....

Anyway, here is some more info...

"On the new album I did a solo on "Arriving somewhere but not here" + backing vocals on the same track, "Deadwing", "Lazarus" and some more from the album, I can't remember. I also did vocals for a remake of "Shesmovedon" as well as a super B-side that I even did some death screams on that was called "Mother and child divided" or something like that.

Mike"

You'll find the "Mother and Child Divided" on the DTS 5.1 DVD-A version...

Ok, then.:devil:

Mr Samsara said:
You'll find the "Mother and Child Divided" on the DTS 5.1 DVD-A version...

Ok, then.:devil:

What else is on there for bonus tracks? I actually own the album, and I don't really want to shell out the 20 or whatever for the DVD audio version if there's only one or two extra tracks. I have the two that were on the lazarus single ("So-called friend" and "Half-light"), are those on it?

Revenant, Mother and Child Divided, Half-Light are the three bonus tracks on the DVD version and there's also a limited version with Shesmovedon (with Mike on vox?) on it.

wankerness said:
What else is on there for bonus tracks? I actually own the album, and I don't really want to shell out the 20 or whatever for the DVD audio version if there's only one or two extra tracks. I have the two that were on the lazarus single ("So-called friend" and "Half-light"), are those on it?

I was going run it all down to you.... but just click the PT.com link in my last post for all the info... it's just easier for both of us.

The difference is significant IMO.

Out.:devil:

Sanzen said:
What's that track with the death vocals sound like? Does it fit in well with PT's overall sound?

They are just used as samples. To the casual listener, you would never know. It is an instrumental track, but around the 3:14 mark you can hear a distorted, crazy Mike.

It works well, though. Adds a bit more of an eerie vibe to an already eerie song.

when i saw PT this fall, i thought the opportunity to hear the extra tracks for the first time was probably the highlight of the show, aside from the particularily stirring rendition of hatesong. i was one of the idiots who bought the special edition of deadwing with the shitty, overhyped packaging. hearing the bonus tracks made me say fuck it and just pick up the blue vinyl version at the show.

i think mike's solo in ASBNH, although not technically exciting, was exactly the break that song needed. best single of 2005, imho.

shantideva said:
when i saw PT this fall, i thought the opportunity to hear the extra tracks for the first time was probably the highlight of the show, aside from the particularily stirring rendition of hatesong. i was one of the idiots who bought the special edition of deadwing with the shitty, overhyped packaging. hearing the bonus tracks made me say fuck it and just pick up the blue vinyl version at the show.

i think mike's solo in ASBNH, although not technically exciting, was exactly the break that song needed. best single of 2005, imho.
ASBNH = best song of 2005.