Mikael quits Bloodbath and I quit Mikael!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kinda weird for me to skip an Opeth's album, can't believe I haven't listened to the new one, even though I liked that one song they put out first.

this thread reminds me of the old opeth forum, and why i didnt join the new one (despite it being of similar quality. i was actually impressed when i visited it). i just hate opeth fans :lol:. theres a few hints of music appreciation/discussion, some collectors comparing their rare items, and a love of an excellent band; but it is mostly just pretentious children arguing and name calling over the dumbest stuff :lol:. although when i run into fans in real life i get the exact opposite.
anybody who remembers the thread about mikael dedicating a show to cliff burton im sure can relate.

haha opeth made me a music snob for a long time, its taken a while to get past the mentality of things like "longer songs are better" and "this is worse because it's not as complex as ___" in some cases those are true (assuming they are comparable ideas). haha its a hard mentality to let go of.

i like this forum for organizing my thoughts :lol:

I see all of your points about Orchid.

I listened to Blackwater Park and Orchid at the same time (when BWP came out, I thought the cover was cool, lol...Orchid, not as much). And at that point, yknow...before sampling was easy...I would often just buy everything they had at the CD store as long as it wasn't a freakish discography. So I bought both BWP and Orchid same day, sound unheard.

VASTLY different styles, but after researching the order that came out in, it was easy for me to just say "oh yeah, sound evolution...gotcha". At that point, BWP was the first of that new sound that they stuck with for basically everything until Heritage, so I wasn't tainted, I guess.

But seriously, "In The Mist She Was Standing" has one of the coolest intro riffs ever fucking made, imo. And the song really progesses well despite being long. It's fucking metal, man...love that shit. And the middle part of "Under The Weeping Moon" is seriously one of the most haunting parts of a song ever.

Finally the piano song "Silhouette" totally blew me away when I heard it. At that point, I was primarily listening to straight death and thrash, but was getting into black metal so I was used to *some* symphonic stuff, but not much. I wasn't quite used to metal bands just saying "Yeah, fuck guitars here...this song is piano".

Amazing album and totally fucking underrated, imo.

haha man thats an excellent story, i actually listened to orchid for the first time in years yesterday, and i have to agree with all your points :lol:. the intro to in the mist she was standing sold me on the album immediately.

my experiance was similar i suppose, i was mostly just getting serious into metal, was big into thrash for a long time, and was sort of dipping my toes into even heavier stuff. some guy in my law class lent me his copy of ghost reveries. the sheer brutality of the vocals (never heard anything that deep!) floored me. the music was so intense, but great, indescribable. as soon as the clean vocals hit, i knew i was going to lvoe this band haha. i hadnt really experianced that kind of diversity.

i live for albums like that, the ones that completely floor you, and youve never heard anything like it

Yeah, even though I didn't like Heritage really at all, I think that is the only thing that I really liked/respected about that album.

Opeth had hit "de-evolution" stage, I think. Their music was still solid, but it wasn't really going in any new directions or changing even a little from album to album (imo). So that was definitely different! Of course now it isn't even metal...but that's another thread.

Back to Orchid/BWP, though...I actually originally listened to Bloodbath because it was "Oh sweet! No clean vocals for the Opeth guy", haha. Originally, even though I loved BWP, I still vastly preferred the mostly growled approach to Orchid.

Yes the old albums were good but the latest stuff seems uninspired, and lazy compared to the old stuff. I know Mikael is going for more standard songs instead of cut and pasted riffests. From what Mikael is saying we'll be getting more and more of these Heritage type albums so right now my interest in Opeth is fizzing out like the pulse of the earth itself.

I can feel myself getting sucked back in...like some sort of retard black hole. I'm just going to ignore those comments about the newer stuff feeling 'lazy' :p

its cause youre american and you love fighting wars that have no end in sight :lol: (only teasing :p)

Yeah, even though I didn't like Heritage really at all, I think that is the only thing that I really liked/respected about that album.

Opeth had hit "de-evolution" stage, I think. Their music was still solid, but it wasn't really going in any new directions or changing even a little from album to album (imo). So that was definitely different! Of course now it isn't even metal...but that's another thread.

Back to Orchid/BWP, though...I actually originally listened to Bloodbath because it was "Oh sweet! No clean vocals for the Opeth guy", haha. Originally, even though I loved BWP, I still vastly preferred the mostly growled approach to Orchid.

:lol:!i got into BB after i started university, a friend of mine had an opeth shirt so we became lab partners, and he introduced me to them

I can feel myself getting sucked back in...like some sort of retard black hole. I'm just going to ignore those comments about the newer stuff feeling 'lazy'

Well, I'd never say Heritage was really lazy. There's obviously a lot going on. It's just a lot going on that I don't like. :D

I think all the Heritage outcry and arguments were kind of silly when it came out (and now). I mean, it's totally awesome if that kind of music is your thing and you love the new album. But is one really surprised when someone hates it? It's VASTLY different. It doesn't just boil down to "I miss the growls". Not even remotely, actually.

If there were a 50/50 split of clean/growl vocals on Heritage, I would still dislike it overall. So my advice was always to just let haters hate, right? You are not going to 'school' anyone because your taste in music differs anyway.

Everyone that loves Heritage should be able to totally understand why someone does not. It's just that different.

Well, I'd never say Heritage was really lazy. There's obviously a lot going on. It's just a lot going on that I don't like. :D

I think all the Heritage outcry and arguments were kind of silly when it came out (and now). I mean, it's totally awesome if that kind of music is your thing and you love the new album. But is one really surprised when someone hates it? It's VASTLY different. It doesn't just boil down to "I miss the growls". Not even remotely, actually.

If there were a 50/50 split of clean/growl vocals on Heritage, I would still dislike it overall. So my advice was always to just let haters hate, right? You are not going to 'school' anyone because your taste in music differs anyway.

Everyone that loves Heritage should be able to totally understand why someone does not. It's just that different.

Once more, it doesn't bother me that people don't like it, and I'm certainly not surprised that people didn't...what bothers me is the dumb shit people say :p

Thank you Dusty and Years for the bit of intelligent anti-Heritage conversation, while my opinion differs from yours I can respect what you've both written :)

Status
Not open for further replies.