Mikael quits Bloodbath and I quit Mikael!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always shocks me how little people bring up Orchid in Opeth "best of" lists.
Probably in my top 3, that album...

Most likely because the majority of the fanbase came quite awhile afterwards, and the style that got them into the band was pretty drastically different from that of the first two.

Laugh it up fucktard. Your comments go in one ear and out the other.

:lol: Undoubtedly.

i always like orchid, starts off their "sound". its been years since i heard it, must go back. i remember the bass being so cool, and that piano song (too lazy to look it up but i assume you all know what i mean) morningrise is good too, but MAYH was the best of the first 3, really captured that somber/brutal tone they had. when, karma, demon of the fall, credence, april ethereal were some of my favorite opeth songs.

after that it was all gold though :lol:, i love still life, blackwater park, damnation (deliverance was decent, but other than a fair judgement i dont care about it at all ahaha), ghost reveries was the album that got me into them, and it still holds a special place for me, but i recognize it isnt their best. watershed burnt me out of opeth, i was so excited for that album, and i saw them live, listened mercilessly, and ever since ive listened very little.

also, i dont think mikael scorning the metal community is too far out of reach, it may not be his ultimate goal, but i too get frusterated by metal, especially in the prog sector, so i can at least understand the sentiment. prog fans tend to be passionate, but to the point of unlikable elitism.

given how my tastes have changed over the years (hell even over the past month i went from black sabbath to grand funk railroad to CCR, to old bathory, Rancid, black flag and even some NWA :lol:) that i dont see how anyone, let alone a band could be so die hard about metal and one sound that they could continue making great albums for an extended amount of time. and all arguments aside, was my one real complaint about the new opeth, it didnt feel like a departure or much of a change that it was hyped up to be, so i was disappointed, and perhaps thats whats held me back from enjoying an album others seem to like. in the opposite way the new bloodbath didnt sound like old entombed, and as such, may have been dismissed in haste :)

everyone is so fucking black or white with music, sometimes i just step back and say fuck it, i like/dislike this album/band, and fuck everyone else :lol:.

Most likely because the majority of the fanbase came quite awhile afterwards, and the style that got them into the band was pretty drastically different from that of the first two.

Yeah this pretty much sums it up. Orchid is a great album, but I got into them during the Deliverance/Damnation era and Orchid seems derivative by comparison.

So close, I meant BWP, Still Life, Ghost Reveries and Deliverance.

the deliverance album has wreath and deliverance, a fair judgement is nice but they have much better ballads... and the songwriting on MA and BTPISIO is pretty :erk: good songs though, but drags the album down sadly. the instrumental is nice as well, but nothing more than that (compare with epilogue from MAYH which is fakken awesome)

Always shocks me how little people bring up Orchid in Opeth "best of" lists.
Probably in my top 3, that album...

i like both orchid and morningrise, but there lots of riffs that do nothing for me on those albums. love the acoustic sections though. also, mikaels clean vocals and lyrics on the apostle in triumph ruins that song imo.

there's nothing black metal about MAYH :lol:

maybe... after still life :)

if you mean blackwater park, still life, ghost reveries and damnation, then i maybe can agree with you to some extent :)

Listen guy i didn't say it was full of black metal and Mikael himself said it in a video intereview. If i can find it ill post a link to it i can't remember the name of the website that interviewed him it was a french guy divided into like 4 or 5 parts. Faceculture and it's up on youtube too. Go see for youself.

so ive been burnt out of opeth for a good 5 years, broke that today, listened to all of MAYH. gonna make my way through orchid later, and then see where that takes me.

at least we can all agree that opeth has put out at least one good album :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.