Mikael the Blast Nazi.

I don't think that we can form an opinion as to whether blast-beats can be incorporated to Opeth's sound or not, before listening to the actual material. And I'm not sure that the guys in Opeth have even considered the use of blast-beats in the next album. I guess the matter will be solved in a few weeks (months??)...

Originally posted by Furious B
How is that so fucked up? I think in some of the more intense moments, it would really propel the music. I'm not saying they have to do grindcore, but it would be interesting to see it done by them at least once.

You have to admit the main reason Opeth's music is so captivating is because the powerful emotion involved. In my personal opinon Mikael raging along to blastbeats would totally destroy the sense of emotion in Opeth's music. Edge of Sanity goes blastbeatish at many moments on albums such as Purgatory Afterglow and Crimson and it does convey a sense of pure rage, which is good. Luckily this isn't used too often, it totally made songs like Helter Skelter on Infernal complete crap. I think I was more thinking of blastbeats being used extensively, that would totally kill the emotion if used as a predominant factor in their music.

If used sparingly like you suggest, then yes, it is not such a fucked up idea after all. Only everynow and then...if it became a new trademark of Opeth I think I might stop liking them tho.

Originally posted by Static
You have to admit the main reason Opeth's music is so captivating is because the powerful emotion involved. In my personal opinon Mikael raging along to blastbeats would totally destroy the sense of emotion in Opeth's music. Edge of Sanity goes blastbeatish at many moments on albums such as Purgatory Afterglow and Crimson and it does convey a sense of pure rage, which is good. Luckily this isn't used too often, it totally made songs like Helter Skelter on Infernal complete crap. I think I was more thinking of blastbeats being used extensively, that would totally kill the emotion if used as a predominant factor in their music.

Listen to Ulver's "Bergtatt". That album is really emotional and has a similar atmosphere to Opeth and they use Blast beats alot. I don't think it ruins it at all ...

Originally posted by Furious B
Listen to Ulver's "Bergtatt". That album is really emotional and has a similar atmosphere to Opeth and they use Blast beats alot. I don't think it ruins it at all ...

Yeah, its just this discussion is about Opeth, and I don't think their particular style would fare very well to extended blast beats usage.

Think about it.
We're talking about Opeth, and "MIKAEL AKERFELDT".
For one, their music simply does not cater for extensive use of blast beats, and nor would Mikael be the type of person to over use a technique like that just cause he could. We know him better than that.
So if Opeth were to use blast beats, they would be placed in completely appropriate positions within the composition. And Knowing this is how it would be done. I am all for Opeth using blast beats. Some of the more intense sections. Like say the end of Blackwater park where it starts building up and the kickers come in, and it get's all heavy on our asses. Blasts could easily fit in there. Just like a million other small parts in many many of their other songs.

And as for Opeth doing grind. Again, if they decided to fool around with grind based arrangements, I know it would be appropriate and fitting to the music, and not put in for the sake of doing a grind bit. And certainly not over used. And really, there are many many parts in Opeth's last 2 albums where some arrangements are very simlar to the kind of thing you might find on some of the more obscure grind outfits. I find a lot of the spastic riffing Mikael does ends up reminding me of Cephallic Carnage from time to time.

If I can be fucked I'll post an example for reference.

My point is, don't be so quick to assume something might be shit cause you yourself can't see how it could be made to work because you have formed an opinion of what it would sound like based on how other bands sound in different genre's.
We're talking about Opeth. I would not be upset for Mikael to try and blend any style of music into the Opeth sound cause I know he'd find a way to make it work.
Hmmm, with the exception of Dance and country. I find it hard to class those genre's music anyways, hehehe.

Originally posted by enigma_nocurnus
Hmmm, with the exception of Dance and country. I find it hard to class those genre's music anyways, hehehe.

How bout rap? Wouldn't it be great to hear him rapping with his swedish accent...?

And to think that when I mentioned grindcore I was joking, I didn't think anyone would take it seriously... Anyway, maybe the members will enlighten us a bit more as to what the album will sound like and then all the guesses will stop... (I wonder if anyone said that in the next album they'll use noise parts the same discussion would begin again?)

well opeth uses so many moods, a blas there and there might be an utterly cathartic release and the end of a long buildup.....an eerie effect is slow guitars with insane blasting,....maybe thats an effect they could use....

Originally posted by Sadistik
an eerie effect is slow guitars with insane blasting,....maybe thats an effect they could use.... [/B]

Hell yeah, couldn't agree more. That can make a piece of music sound really fucked up if it's done right. Emperor were the kings of that in my opinion. And it is also my Opinion that Opeth's music is tailor made for that particular technique to be utilised to it's utmost capabilities and effiencey. Yay!

Im not quite a huge fan of blast beats, but I do respect their impact in some music. I think that if done 'tastefully' (if you can call a blast beat tasteful...) that they sound good.

I have great faith in the abilities of Opeth, and though I certainly havn't heard much space for blast beats in their music, I figure that they could do it well if they wanted to. I don't think they will, and if they do it won't be to much extent...but it's possible.

I can't wait to buy the new CD. That is all.

akerfeldt has gone rap, listen to serentiy painted death! we already talked about this! WHITE FACE, HAGGARD GRIN, THIS SERENTIY PAINED DEATH Y'ALL!!!

omg! this means i have to burn all my opeth albums!

Originally posted by Stinkfist
12 minute grindcore songs? Well, at least it'd be original.

You do realise that it isn't original? "We've heard it all before". There is no new music, just new ways of old music. Anyway, getting away from this subject, there is a 18min grindcore song althought it's made by a friend of mine.

Blastbeats in opeth = opeth goes baad.

The great thing about opeth is that the DON't have balst beats.

From a drummer's point of view, blast beats are fun to play. Are you saying you could be listening to the best Opeth song you've ever heard, then you hear 8 note blast beat, and you'd throw out the CD?

Originally posted by DracWell
The great thing about opeth is that the DON't have balst beats.

The great thing about opeth is that everything they do, they do tastefully. They could (probably won't, but could) incorporate blast beats in some sections of their music and it would most likely work out. I just don't see it happening.

Originally posted by IanDork107
The great thing about opeth is that everything they do, they do tastefully. They could (probably won't, but could) incorporate blast beats in some sections of their music and it would most likely work out. I just don't see it happening.

I'll agree with that ...