Modern Death Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell Awaits Us All

New Metal Member
Oct 22, 2006
Killing You
since we have a Black metal and old school death metal thread, I thought it would be interesting to have one of these

few of my favorites:
nile
augury
lykathea aflame
deteriorot
behemoth

Right now im really into Skinless - Trample the weak,Hurdle the dead & Cephalic Carnage - Anomalies.

I also just got Bolt Thrower's - Those once Loyal.

I love some of the songs, esp. Those once loyal.

Stargazer - The Scream That Tore The Sky is probably the crowning achievement of death metal in recent years.

Reactions: CiG
I vastly prefer old school death metal or old school-sounding bands (Bloodbath, etc.) to most things modern (except for brutal DM) but you can never go wrong with lykathea aflame, behemoth, bolt thrower, etc. I don't think bolt thrower is old school DM, so to speak. They don't have the sound.

One of the best, sure.

That album gives me chills.

"unas slayer of gods" is one of the most epic and best death metal songs ever

I just don't get why more bands can't be as great as nile, there is so much talent in the modern DM scene. If only some of these bands could focus on songwriting rather than all out br00tality or super technical playing

nile "in their darkened shrines" is probably the best death metal album in the last 5-10 years

:lol:

Not even.

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Kronos - Colossal Titan Strife
Gorod - Neurotripsicks
!T.O.O.H.! - Rad a trest
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
Scythe - Decay
Wayd - Decadance
etc

and obviously Stargazer - TSTTS

all kill that gimmick of a band.

some newer dm I like includes

Arghoslent
The Chasm
Drawn and Quartered
Deny the Urge
Nile
Hour of Penance
Natron
Spawn of Possession
Mortal Decay
Crimson Massacre
Coram Lethe
Demiurg
Verminous
Horrid
Man Must Die
Repugnant

:lol:

Not even.

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Kronos - Colossal Titan Strife
Gorod - Neurotripsicks
!T.O.O.H.! - Rad a trest
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
Scythe - Decay
Wayd - Decadance
etc

and obviously Stargazer - TSTTS

Why do you think they are a gimmick?

What is it exactly that turns you off?

I agree. Nile have the same theme and style on every album. How long and how many albums are they going to release the same over and over before they take a step. Nile has been around for what 10 years.

Nothing is more lame than musicians that play it safe. Eventually I would think you need to do something different.

I haven't heard many bands with more variety in their songwriting than nile. Hell I would say they have more variety in one album than the entire discography of bands like deicide, immolation, dismember, cannibal corpse, suffocation, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.