Modern Death Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not denying their talent - but think of it this way, would people care about Nile without their "Egyptian themes."

Most likely not. They're pretty generic once you take away the Egyptian shit. And sure the same could be said for Lykathea Aflame what with their Middle Eastern music elements and their spiritual lyrics - but again as I stated before they don't come across as "HEY LOOK AT US WE ARE UNIQUE" which for whatever reason (and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who thinks as such) Nile does.

I've heard 3 albums - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka, Black Seeds of Vengeance, and Annihilation of the Wicked.

I stand by - especially having heard AotW - that without their gimmick they lose whatever makes people notice them. AotW was simply forgettable (even more so than their other albums)
I disagree, even without the Egyptian themes Nile is a truly epic and great band, so technical without sacrificing a hint of brutality in their music.

I have pretty much abandoned nonbrutal modern death. It doesn't have the brutality of BDM or the feel of Old School DM, so what's the point? As I've listened to more and more metal, bands like Nile just become boring. Sure they're not bad, but there are so many better bands.

Nile are a serviceable band, the Egyptian themes are a nice idea but the problem is that the way they integrate them is too formulaic and superficial. They rarely stray far enough from the standard tech-death formula to create a really unique and appropriate atmosphere - too often the themes could be replaced with any other typical death metal gimmick and the music would come across just as strong. Exceptions would be tracks like "To Dream Of Ur", which I find to showcase the band at their best: creating an aura that is powerful and unique, that makes the Egyptian themes come alive for you, and that goes beyond their "tech-death band with some ambient bits thrown in" norm.

The best answer for this thread is Crimson Massacre I think, they are far better than most other bands when it comes to ambition and strong compositions that are so far ahead of the curve that it almost hurts to listen to them. :)

:lol: @ Rudra unless they've evolved significantly since The Aryan Crusade.

Evolution from a solid, highly enjoyable album like The Aryan Crusade is difficult, but their latest did that in some eyes.

:lol:

Not even.

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Kronos - Colossal Titan Strife
Gorod - Neurotripsicks
!T.O.O.H.! - Rad a trest
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
Scythe - Decay
Wayd - Decadance
etc

and obviously Stargazer - TSTTS

all kill that gimmick of a band.

Sorry but ITDS kills IB by Arghoslent. It's a solid album - but highly, highly over rated.

since we have a Black metal and old school death metal thread, I thought it would be interesting to have one of these

few of my favorites:
nile
augury
lykathea aflame
deteriorot
behemoth

I'm so glad modern metal has turned out the way it has, as metal is now such a huge genre theres usually something for everyone.

My fave modern bands are Beneath the massacre, Martyr, Anomalous and i dno Psyopus.

Status
Not open for further replies.