Modern Death Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I try to get more into death metal I can't because it doesn't offer me much, and I'm usually bored by the majority of bands. So I generally like bands that are heavier, faster, and in-your-face or maybe somewhat interesting.

Nile, Behemoth, Akercocke, Belphegor to name a few examples, Panzerchrist is my favourite though. Wether or not it strays from typical death metal, I prefer the more 'extreme' stuff. For example the Polish DM scene is good but the overproduced production qualities and trigger-happy drumming kinda bothers me. Mind you, I think Behemoth is great. Conversely, I hate the typical dull, muddish production on quite a lot of DM albums and so I find it rather hard to get into older death metal.

As much as I try to get more into death metal I can't because it doesn't offer me much, and I'm usually bored by the majority of bands. So I generally like bands that are heavier, faster, and in-your-face or maybe somewhat interesting.

Nile, Behemoth, Akercocke, Belphegor to name a few examples, Panzerchrist is my favourite though. Wether or not it strays from typical death metal, I prefer the more 'extreme' stuff. For example the Polish DM scene is good but the overproduced production qualities and trigger-happy drumming kinda bothers me. Mind you, I think Behemoth is great. Conversely, I hate the typical dull, muddish production on quite a lot of DM albums and so I find it rather hard to get into older death metal.

check out augury, awesome band that is extremely creative

Conversely, I hate the typical dull, muddish production on quite a lot of DM albums and so I find it rather hard to get into older death metal.

Besides a few exceptions the production on older Death Metal usually isn't that bad at all you just need to give it a chance. In fact the production is much more suited to the style compared to today's over-polished super-smooth approach. Death Metal should sound evil and aggressive and I find the older releases are much better at achieving this.

I have never understood the complaints of "overproduction" in modern death metal. To me, both the old school and the modern stuff sounds great

what I hate though is the incredibly arrogant and purist attitude of some old school death metal heads.

Besides a few exceptions the production on older Death Metal usually isn't that bad at all you just need to give it a chance. In fact the production is much more suited to the style compared to today's over-polished super-smooth approach. Death Metal should sound evil and aggressive and I find the older releases are much better at achieving this.

Maybe you're right, I don't know a lot on death metal (rather I'm a huge black metal fan) but generally I like death metal that will blast my speakers. That's more or less what I look for since I don't see much 'depth' in death metal compared to say doom or black metal. Panzerchrist's last two albums are the best example I can think of for what I prefer.

I enjoy recent albums from Skinless, Drawn and Quartered , Sarpanitum and My Darkest Hate, I thought those were fairly good. I'm just really particular about the music I listen to I guess. I don't like overly technical death metal, or brutal death metal (Wormed, Deeds of Flesh, Putrefy - that type stuff).

check out augury, awesome band that is extremely creative

Just checked them out, they sound pretty good actually.

I have never understood the complaints of "overproduction" in modern death metal. To me, both the old school and the modern stuff sounds great

what I hate though is the incredibly arrogant and purist attitude of some old school death metal heads.

Well a couple albums that had "good" production and I didn't really like it were Vader's "Impressions in Blood," Krisiun's "AssassiNation"...I just don't like the production on those albums, sound a bit sterile maybe.

Well a couple albums that had "good" production and I didn't really like it were Vader's "Impressions in Blood," Krisiun's "AssassiNation"...I just don't like the production on those albums, sound a bit sterile maybe.

yea that happens, but as a whole I don't see any problem with it.

and I really like deeds of flesh, they are much different than most br00tal DM bands who do nothing but mindless slam/br00tal riffs, blastbeats, and pig grunts for 40 minutes and call it an album. The songwriting is quite good actually

yea that happens, but as a whole I don't see any problem with it.

and I really like deeds of flesh, they are much different than most br00tal DM bands who do nothing but mindless slam/br00tal riffs, blastbeats, and pig grunts for 40 minutes and call it an album. The songwriting is quite good actually

Yeah thats why I can't really get into Brutal Death Metal. The vocals are a bit annoying, horrible production, blastbeat overusage etc...I do like the overall 'sick' feeling of the style, but not something I want to listen to for 40mins.

Stuff like that is what I thought was Brutal DM was, but then I also see people talk about Nile, Suffocation, Azarath etc being Brutal Death Metal...? I don't really see that but then again I don't really follow death metal so much.

Suffocation were responsible for Brutal Death Metal... Its a not so well known fact that many bands have plaguarised their style, they dont usually receive the appropriate credit for what they created, it was Mike Smith from Suffocation that came up with the term blasting (he didn't come up with blasting, just coined the term). However what does place them above the imitators still is that most Brutal bands play less complex music then normal death metal, focusing on just playing heavy over technicality... Suffocation on the other hand are an incredibly technical band which frequently slow their music down and have sections which are far from fast but they are not soft either due to Mullen's legible yet deeper then the pits of hell death grunts and Mike Smiths insanely hard hitting.

vague.

Suffocation were responsible for Brutal Death Metal... Its a not so well known fact that many bands have plaguarised their style, they dont usually receive the appropriate credit for what they created, it was Mike Smith from Suffocation that came up with the term blasting (he didn't come up with blasting, just coined the term). However what does place them above the imitators still is that most Brutal bands play less complex music then normal death metal, focusing on just playing heavy over technicality... Suffocation on the other hand are an incredibly technical band which frequently slow their music down and have sections which are far from fast but they are not soft either due to Mullen's legible yet deeper then the pits of hell death grunts and Mike Smiths insanely hard hitting.

suffo and deeds of flesh both play pretty interesting brutal death. Those 2 bands are pretty much all you ever need when it comes to BDM.

I like almost all death metal (though European OSDM is my favorite), but for some reason a lot of the modern Unique Leader style BDM simply bores me. The musicians are good, but the sound gets old fast. There are plenty of brutal dm bands that I like, but they're not the Cali/UL style dm that is so widespread nowadays. Still today, Europe reigns supreme over America in death metal (as well as metal in general for that matter), with a few notable exceptions (such as Arghoslent).

Suffocation write pretty disturbing music which is really what most BDM is about, creating something that will make people flip... Really for people that just want to hear shit explode in their eardrums and find Cannibal Corpse or some Grindcore which is more for lovers of brutality... BDM is a lot slower and deliberate and musically it has a lot of merits like hard drumming and interesting tempos, not to mention it is good live. While it may not be impressive from a band point of view (it is too hard for the musicians to move around a lot due to the technicality and speed of the music) but the crowds are always amazing. If you have ever watched Suffocation play, (which I have been fortunate enough to) despite the fact they are getting a bit old now and are not mainstream enough to attact big arena crowds like other bands they put on one hell of a show which had the whole crowd headbanging with military precision in sections. Frank Mullen is a great front man, I love the way he twitches his wrist with the blast beats (given Mike is quite possibly the fastest and hardest blaster alive it is more impressive then it might sound).

I like almost all death metal (though European OSDM is my favorite), but for some reason a lot of the modern Unique Leader style BDM simply bores me. The musicians are good, but the sound gets old fast. There are plenty of brutal dm bands that I like, but they're not the Cali/UL style dm that is so widespread nowadays. Still today, Europe reigns supreme over America in death metal (as well as metal in general for that matter), with a few notable exceptions (such as Arghoslent).

European Death Metal is good for prog and melo but Europe never produces Death Metal with Gridcore influences like America, not as good as the Americans anyway. The NYDM scene will always reign supreme when it comes to brutal metal just like the Bay Area was Thrash music even though plenty of other bands (many good, do not get me wrong) such as Messhugah popped up elsewhere. Really the European Extreme Scene will always belong to Black Metal... though with the amount of Power Metal coming out of Europe it is no surprise that some Death Metal bands which incorporate it are becoming quite popular.

Unrelated: For me, a few bands that stick out currently in the Death Metal scene is DÅÅTH, who play some fairly incredible Death Metal with an industrial/crosser feel (Dont mistake it for Fear Factory though) and Job for a Cowboy who are fresh in that they are blending the current popular American Metalcore scene with some Death Metal heavy enough for any fans.

I think I have seen you make this exact post like 8 times before. Do you keep it in a notepad doc or something? :p

Well I generally despise the click-click sound of heavily triggered drums (Mithras comes to mind) and I find this is most abused in modern death metal than the older stuff. Moreover, the overall production of newer DM albums just sounds too slick and polished for me, especially the guitar production. Most of the time the sound is just to thin and 'weak' (for lack of a better word) sounding. However I do understand their are exceptions to the rule and I do enjoy my share of newer bands, but, to me, their is no comparison; OS euro-death offers the genres best works by far.

Well I generally despise the click-click sound of heavily triggered drums (Mithras comes to mind) and I find this is most abused in modern death metal than the older stuff. Moreover, the overall production of newer DM albums just sounds too slick and polished for me, especially the guitar production. Most of the time the sound is just to thin and 'weak' (for lack of a better word) sounding. However I do understand their are exceptions to the rule and I do enjoy my share of newer bands, but, to me, their is no comparison; OS euro-death offers the genres best works by far.

what bands have heavily triggered drums? behemoth? cryptopsy?

in other news, I have been addicted to "necrophagist" onset of putrefaction lately. Such a badass CD, the solo on "culinary hyperversity" is cream-yourself-worthy.

few more great modern DM albums

quo vadis - forever
gorguts - obscura
decapitated - negation

Status
Not open for further replies.